PDA

View Full Version : December and January Weather

mwhightower
07-09-2012, 03:19
I am starting the Appalachian Trail in December 2012 Northbound. I have hiked extensively in Alaska but need some insight on what type of weather I will encounter during December into January. I would like to lighten the gear load on things that are not needed and I am unfamiliar with the weather. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

moytoy
07-09-2012, 04:23
The southern Appalachians are unpredictable in the winter but you need to be prepared for the worst. That can be below 0 and high snow drifts. On the other hand it can be in the 20's and dry. Jan and Feb are usually colder than Dec but you never know. I would suggest finding some trail Journals of people who started in Jan and you can get a pretty good feel for the weather. This past winter was pretty mild but 2011 was cold and snowy. Higher elevation in the Smokies will almost always get you some snow drifts and that makes for tough hiking.

fiddlehead
07-09-2012, 05:52
You will get some awesome, good days, and you will get some cold, snowy ones.
Of course you have to prepare for the worst.

I'd say be prepared to sleep as cold as 5 degrees above F., hike in a foot of snow at times, maybe hole up in your tent a day or two sometimes, and take some extra money to hole up in towns if it gets worse.

I did a winter hike 10 years ago and we had some incredibly beautiful days in Jan and Feb.
It was in the 50's on Springer the day we finished. Feb 13th.
Here's a pic from that day: 16521

moldy
07-09-2012, 09:56
If next year is like this year you will find excellent weather for hiking in December and January. This year was one of the best in recent memory. We had very few big storms and mountain top snow was minimum. Even the Smokies had excellent hiking. Now the year before, that was a horse of a different color. There was so much snow and freezing weather that it was brutal. There were hikers zeroing in the Smokies because of the deep snow and switching to small bearpaw type snowshoes sent to them. The trouble with heavy winter weather on the AT is that it slows you down. If you have to break trail in 3 feet of snow you will make 6 or 8 miles a day. In this kind of bad weather hiking the AT becomes a mad dash to the next road crossing so you can hitch into town and hole up in a hotel or hostle. This dash and dive method costs quite a bit more. A month of this and you are ready to go home. You will be keeping a close eye on the weather gauge. It is difficult to pack for a trip of this nature. One thing you could is pack at the last minute when you can see the 2 week forecast. It they indicate nice weather you can go lighter. Have cold weather gear ready to mail from home if you ask for it. Most people swap out gear at various time anyway, you could do it more often if the weather changes.

wornoutboots
07-09-2012, 10:35
[QUOTE=fiddlehead;1309258]You will get some awesome, good days, and you will get some cold, snowy ones.
Of course you have to prepare for the worst.

I'd say be prepared to sleep as cold as 5 degrees above F., hike in a foot of snow at times, maybe hole up in your tent a day or two sometimes, and take some extra money to hole up in towns if it gets worse.

I did a winter hike 10 years ago and we had some incredibly beautiful days in Jan and Feb.
It was in the 50's on Springer the day we finished. Feb 13th. /QUOTE]

+1 I did the 140 miles from Spring to NOC this year & started 1/2/12 at the start it was @ 10 degrees. Throughout the hike I encountered, the best views availabl, lots of sunshine, cold rain, sleet, & breaking tracks through 4-6 inches of fresh snow. The temps were anywhere from 20-60 during the daytime & near zero at night (be sure to empty your water bottle b4 bedtime). Its a great time to hike. Make sure to load up your feedbag for the Smokies, heavy snow can really slow your progress & blowing snow can cover up the blazes, HWY 411 the only road in that 85 mile or so section & it is not realiable to be opened for resupply in the Winter. Have your basecamp on call to send you some snow shoes if the weather look sketchy as you approach the Smokies.

Cookerhiker
07-09-2012, 11:03
I am starting the Appalachian Trail in December 2012 Northbound. I have hiked extensively in Alaska but need some insight on what type of weather I will encounter during December into January. I would like to lighten the gear load on things that are not needed and I am unfamiliar with the weather. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

You're thruhiking, right? On the north end depending on your pace, you may find it rough going in the White Mountains in NH if you arrive in late April or May when it can still be winterlike. And if you're hiking Maine in June, expect high water crossings and black flies.

Deadeye
07-09-2012, 11:59
Late April in the Whites isn't winter-like IMHO, it's still winter! Long-term average snow depth peaks mid-April, and in good years there's often plenty of snow on the trails until Memorial Day. An early December start might make for some great winter hiking down South, and some nice weather in the mid-Atlantic states, but tough going in Northern New England. Winter blow-downs won't have been cleared yet, the ground will be saturated with snow melt (if it's melted), and you'll be making a mess of the trail.

mwhightower
07-09-2012, 13:29
I am not thru hiking. I plan on doing the trail in sections. I am hoping to get about 300 miles. I am going to start the hike on or about December 21 and stopping on January 15. Hopefully make a dent in the hike. I will be back in May to continue the hike.

wornoutboots
07-09-2012, 22:57
Should be able to make it to Hot Springs for sure, if not Erwin

mwhightower
07-10-2012, 14:48
Thanks for the info. I will hope for some good weather.

ChinMusic
07-10-2012, 15:00
You should be able to get by with traction devices akin to Microspikes if you are willing to pull off the trail for big snows.