PDA

View Full Version : When is the best time to start a thru hike in Maine.?

Kibble n Bit
07-09-2012, 08:35
We are planning a thru hike in 2013, We wanted to start on the first of May but we are hearing that Katahdin isn't open at that time. So I was wondering when is the best time to start..Thnxs....

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 08:36
mid-june....

Kibble n Bit
07-09-2012, 09:18
mid-june....

Thank you Lone Wolf..

Red Hat
07-09-2012, 09:48
Blackflies are stong in May and June... still around in July, but better. If you are a reasonably fast hiker you can start in mid July and still be home by Christmas.

Kibble n Bit
07-09-2012, 10:16
[QUOTE=Red Hat;1309309]Blackflies are stong in May and June... still around in July, but better. If you are a reasonably fast hiker you can start in mid July and still be home by Christmas.[/QUOTE

Ok We thought we could start earlier. It might be better for us to go NOBO..

Spokes
07-09-2012, 11:06
Download the free "Step by Step Guide" from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and look on page 27.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/step-by-step-web-version.pdf

Cheers!

Kibble n Bit
07-09-2012, 11:19
Download the free "Step by Step Guide" from the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and look on page 27.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-document-library/step-by-step-web-version.pdf

Cheers!

Ok Thnxs Spokes

TJ aka Teej
07-09-2012, 12:21
We are planning a thru hike in 2013, We wanted to start on the first of May but we are hearing that Katahdin isn't open at that time. So I was wondering when is the best time to start..Thnxs....
First weekend in June.
There is a Southbounding forum here on Whiteblaze where you might find many answers to the questions you will have as you plan your hike.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?422-Southbound-thru-hikers-%28MEGA%29

DLANOIE
07-09-2012, 14:44
I started June 1st. I experienced terrible black flies and deep fords when I went through. I would start in July if I were to do it again. YMMV

max patch
07-09-2012, 16:15
First weekend in June.

TJ and Weary are the resident Maine experts and I certainly pause a moment to reflect when I disagree with either of them when the question is Maine (esp BSP) related.

I'm going to respectfully disagree and state that if I was planning a SOBO I'd start July 1 to let the blackfly population decrease to a manageable level.

Shae
07-09-2012, 19:28
My daughter summited this past June 20th and she's in with a good group she met at that time along with a bubble ahead of and behind her. Some issues with high water and fording in the 100-Mile Wilderness but not too bad.

Shae
07-09-2012, 19:30
As far as the bugs, I went with her for the first 5 days into the 100-Mile Wilderness and they weren't too bad. Some mosquitoes and some blackflies but not swarming and not any worse than a bad day in our backyard in central NH.

fiddlehead
07-09-2012, 20:09
I'd much rather start around Sept 1st.
No bugs, not too hot, will get you past the whites before the snows come.
See all of those NOBO'ers running for the end.

After a month, have the AT to yourself.

About_Time
07-09-2012, 21:11
I'd much rather start around Sept 1st.
No bugs, not too hot, will get you past the whites before the snows come.
See all of those NOBO'ers running for the end.

After a month, have the AT to yourself.

In January / February you'll run in the real early NOBOs and you'll be treated like a rock star (lol)....

Blissful
07-09-2012, 21:43
July 1 is a good time if you can be discplined with your miles later on to avoid snows down south.

weary
07-10-2012, 13:29
I would also -- maybe even wait until after the fourth. I leave for six days in Baxter Park this coming Saturday. Sadly, I'm getting too old to climb the mountain. I have an incurable lung problem caused by medical malpractice -- and had my 83rd birthday in May. But I'll kick around Roaring Brook and South Branch Pond as kids, grandkids, spouses, significant others, and a nephew head for Chimney Pond and the summit

TJ and Weary are the resident Maine experts and I certainly pause a moment to reflect when I disagree with either of them when the question is Maine (esp BSP) related.

I'm going to respectfully disagree and state that if I was planning a SOBO I'd start July 1 to let the blackfly population decrease to a manageable level.

Kibble n Bit
07-10-2012, 17:20
Thank You all,.. Very good advice...

danthornton
07-15-2012, 17:54
Fiddlehead said "start around Sept 1st. No bugs..." Does that mean I won't need bug dope or tent (using tarp only) when I do Maine (Kitahdin to Rangeley) this August 28 through September 14? I would love to leave my tent behind, but can't sleep with mosquitoes buzzing in my ears. Is it truly "no bugs?"

Grampie
07-16-2012, 11:15
During my thru I flipped, sumitted Katahdin on July 23 and headed SOBO. Had very few bugs, most streams were low enough to ford without a problem and a lot of the low areas and mud had dryed up. The weather was mild, not too hot, and the places to swim were plenty.