PDA

View Full Version : Getting a shuttle to a section down a forest road.

Nutbrown
07-09-2012, 08:51
Yes, I know the easiest answer is to call the outfitter in the area to see if they would do it, but I wanted to know if shuttles do this regularly, or if they usually just drop at major road crossings. The section we are hiking has a little forest road leading to it. I would take my car, have a friend's car at the other end, and play the car retrieval game, but it would be soooo much nicer to have a shuttle just drop us off at the start of our hike. ....the section we are doing has bigger road crossings, but they don't mesh with the miles we are hiking.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 08:55
i do shuttles like that. where you wantin' to go?

Tennessee Viking
07-09-2012, 10:23
It all depends on if the forest road is gated and how good the condition of the road is. What is the section you are hiking?

Red Hat
07-09-2012, 12:46
some do, some don't so contact the closest local shuttler to find out....

RED-DOG
07-09-2012, 14:11
Depends on if the shuttler has 4 wheel drive or not, and if they feel safe with you, they might think you are trying to lure them down a dead end road to rob them or what ever. but most will if you got enough cash.:dance

Nutbrown
07-09-2012, 17:14
There will be 4 of us girls hiking into Hot Springs NC, sobo. There is a little FR 111 that leads to a trail that will get us to the AT just south of the Jerry Cabin Shelter. The FR is just off rt 212 on the NC Tenn border. LW, I'll take you up on a shuttle when we do a section closer to Damascus. Thanks though.

10-K
07-09-2012, 17:28
There will be 4 of us girls hiking into Hot Springs NC, sobo. There is a little FR 111 that leads to a trail that will get us to the AT just south of the Jerry Cabin Shelter. The FR is just off rt 212 on the NC Tenn border. LW, I'll take you up on a shuttle when we do a section closer to Damascus. Thanks though.

I know FR 111 very well. You don't need a 4WD. There are houses about a mile or so from the trailhead you want so it's not like you're out in the sticks.

The trail you want to go up is the Fork Ridge Trail. It pops out on the AT a few hundred yards south of JC shelter. The first 0.25 mile of the Fork Ridge Trail is not too bad. The last 1.75 miles is quite the climb.

The Jerry Miller Trail starts off FR 111 as well. It's 4 miles long and joins the AT on at the same place the AT bad weather route drops down off the ridge and is not nearly as steep. Actually, about 3 miles of it is an old logging road.

Nutbrown
07-09-2012, 17:31
Great info, thanks 10-k

10-K
07-09-2012, 17:35
The sign is gone for the trail and it's sort of hard to see. Imagine a trail head parking area as a rectangle with the long edges running parallel to FR 111. The trail is located sort of on the bottom right corner of the rectangle. You'll probably have to push through some overgrowth to see the trail but once you're on it the trail is very easy to follow all the way to the top.

Nutbrown
07-09-2012, 17:40
I'll keep that in mind. The girls will get a kick out of having to find the trail to find the trail!:)

10-K
07-09-2012, 17:49
I'd almost bet you dinner your shuttle driver won't know where to let you out....

Nutbrown
07-09-2012, 20:08
...how about a pint at the Iron Horse?

10-K
07-09-2012, 20:26
...how about a pint at the Iron Horse?

:) I said "almost".. It's a well maintained road - it's just that those 2 trails back there don't have a lot of non-local traffic. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting shuttled in that area.

Nutbrown
07-09-2012, 20:29
Don't worry old man;) never meant it any other way but friendly.