PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Advice You Called "BS" on?

Spokes
07-09-2012, 15:37
Interested in your bad hiking advice stories.

You know, things like:

"No need to treat the water."

"Maildrops are a necessity."

"The people of Kent, CT love thru hikers!"

Others?

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 15:39
i never asked for or took any advice from anyone about AT matters

SCRUB HIKER
07-09-2012, 15:54
An old guy named Sea Dawg talked at me for 20 minutes on my second day in Georgia and told me among other things that Shuckstack for a NOBO was the hardest climb on the entire AT and the Fontana Hilton was a beautiful shelter and a great place to spend the night. When I got to the Fontana shelter all 24 spots were taken by 6pm, there were mice everywhere and I had to cowboy on a concrete pad, and the next day Shuckstack was over before I'd even woken up.

Sea Dawg also yelled (literally yelled) at me when I passed him at an overlook later in the day for not stopping to join him and said "Quit worryin about how many F***IN MILES YOU HAVE TO DO!" Did anyone else ever run into this guy on one of their first days in Georgia? He was a local and he seemed to take pleasure in talking thru-hikers' ears off and ramming BS down their throats.

10-K
07-09-2012, 15:54
I don't treat water. Really.

I do carry a few tablets though just in case.

Namaste
07-09-2012, 15:59
Don't take advice from people who THINK they know it all.

coach lou
07-09-2012, 16:02
Spokes I really like your new Doo!

FireInMyBones
07-09-2012, 16:09
Some on told me I did not need to worry about pack weight before hand. I'd learn all about what I actually did or did not need from the trail. I think I actually laughed at them.

Spokes
07-09-2012, 16:12
i never asked for or took any advice from anyone about AT matters

You are the man!

:cool:

Spokes
07-09-2012, 16:13
Spokes I really like your new Doo!

Thanks coach lou.

tdoczi
07-09-2012, 16:20
"you have to start out slow and build up to bigger mileage"

scree
07-09-2012, 16:20
Back in the 90s an REI salesperson tried to sell me on the need for a 7000c.i. expedition pack for section hikes. I haven't shopped at or trusted REI since then, except when they had some carbon fiber paddles on sale one time.

Also, I recall lots of advice on clothing that just seemed weak and/or a little old school, e.g., the need for pants, a sun hat, long sleeves, and boots. I wear shorts year round with thermals when necessary, never wear a summer hat because I hate how they feel (always keep a warm cap around), hate long sleeved shirts, and prefer going barefoot, wearing fivefingers, or trainers. When I do wear boots they're not hiking boots. I never want to look like one of those khaki-clad people with socks tucked over pants, safari shirts, wide brimmed hats, giant packs, and large walking sticks that I see shuffling around the local parks on "hikes". Generally I like not feeling the weight of my clothes and prefer them as thin and light as possible.

kayak karl
07-09-2012, 16:30
bad advice I gave or that was given to me?

Spokes
07-09-2012, 16:37
.......... Given.

Jeff
07-09-2012, 16:44
Every year someone advises that Virginia is flat. :)

Captain Blue
07-09-2012, 17:00
Shelters are for thru hikers only.... or .... You have to give up your spot in a shelter to a thru hiker.

coach lou
07-09-2012, 17:04
Shelters are for thru hikers only.... or .... You have to give up your spot in a shelter to a thru hiker.

That is one of my favorites.

Nutbrown
07-09-2012, 17:07
Whiskey is too heavy, leave it at home.

Spokes
07-09-2012, 17:39
..... Single malts are lighter, right?

Velvet Gooch
07-09-2012, 17:41
"You'll never use that entire 36-count box of condoms"

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 17:43
yes its amazing how much water they carry.

Odd Man Out
07-09-2012, 18:10
I have had several people laugh in disbelief when I say there are a quite a few people who sleep with their food in their tent, believing that black bears will not break in to attack them to get the food.

coach lou
07-09-2012, 18:13
I have had several people laugh in disbelief when I say there are a quite a few people who sleep with their food in their tent, believing that black bears will not break in to attack them to get the food.

Click.....fizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzz.....can-o-worms!

malowitz
07-09-2012, 18:15
I met a guy at the NOC during my 2010 thru who advised that one shouldn't carry water. His method was to just have a water container and camel up at every water source. That style wasn't for me and I don't think I met anyone out there that wasn't carrying water.

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 18:28
Being told that a total pack weight of anything more than 17 lbs. is just not necessary.

Spokes;whud up Red, how it goin babe, hike here much?

ChinMusic
07-09-2012, 18:34
Being told "you need to bring maps".
Being told "it's just walking".......nah, can't go there

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 18:39
there are a quite a few people who sleep with their food in their tent, believing that black bears will not break in to attack them to get the food.

i go to that church

WIAPilot
07-09-2012, 18:40
i go to that church

I can only pray...

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 18:44
I can only pray...

church bells are ringin for you two.

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 18:45
I can only pray...

i go to that church

Love at first sight, hehehe

Rasty
07-09-2012, 18:46
I can only pray...

She does follow him. It got to be love.

Lone Wolf
I can only pray...

why you gotta troll?

rocketsocks
church bells are ringin for you two.I'll be there, throwing granola.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 18:48

i have a wonderful lady in my life. she has a sense of humor. this broad don't like men i have a feelin

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 18:48
WE got a hot thread.one where the posts come in 1 min apart, or less

coach lou
07-09-2012, 18:51
I'll be there, throwing granola.

Road Trip............to Damascus!

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 18:52
Road Trip............to Damascus!Lou, can you swing by NJ and grab me up?

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 18:53
i have a wonderful lady in my life. she has a sense of humor. this broad don't like men i have a feelin
sense of humor is one of the keys to a happy relationship.
those who take life too seriously generally take themselves way too seriously.
ill remove your name from her list of hopefuls.

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 18:54
waiting for PM...10....9....8...7....

rocketsocks
i have a wonderful lady in my life. she has a sense of humor. this broad don't like men i have a feelinHey, where'd this come from?

Road Trip............to Damascus!Weddin off Coach.

Lone Wolf
waiting for PM...10....9....8...7....

yeah really :rolleyes:

coach lou
Lou, can you swing by NJ and grab me up?

After I go to Shelton to pick up Dave, and Long Beach to pick up Andy. Dogs, shoot, they'll be callin' in the Va. National Guard!

Rasty
07-09-2012, 18:58
I will do the catering.:D

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 18:59
These are the inherent problems of a "hot thread", they require reading ,refreshing ,and rereading, constantly. And a bit of extrapolating.

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 18:59
Being told "it's just walking".......

it's a statement not advice. a factual statement at that. it really is just walkin'

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 19:00
After I go to Shelton to pick up Dave, and Long Beach to pick up Andy. Dogs, shoot, they'll be callin' in the Va. National Guard!Yup, we need a helo-chopter, I'll call in a favour from the donald.

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 19:01
Alright.....who hit the hyperspace button......No "BS" this is funny, It's like mad libs.

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 19:04
Yup, we need a helo-chopter, I'll call in a favour from the donald.

i vote to invite pilot to trail days next year, we can all meet for a free for all mud wrestling winner- take- all -you-can- eat buffet .
loser- no soup- one year.

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 19:05
i vote to invite pilot to trail days next year, we can all meet for a free for all mud wrestling winner- take- all -you-can- eat buffet .
loser- no soup- one year.No more mud, that's so 80's.........Puddin!

ChinMusic
07-09-2012, 19:05
The thread has officially gone viral.........

Heading out for a walk. I expect 7 pages before I get home or the thread being closed.

Tipi Walter
07-09-2012, 19:06
Here are a few I've studied and rejected:
** "If you don't use something everyday, don't carry it." This is a real myth. My tent fly is not used every day but is mandatory. My rain jacket ain't used often but when it is it has saved my butt., Etc.

** "You either hike or you camp." Every backpacker hikes and camps. Let's put this one to rest.

** "You need the right tool for the job." No, you need a multitool for a variety of jobs. Conditions change, temps change, weather changes. Etc. Morning at 50F, night comes a blizzard at 10F.

** "The lighter you go the more rewarding your hike." Totally bogus.

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 19:07
Alright.....who hit the hyperspace button......No "BS" this is funny, It's like mad libs.Never mind, I had a Junior/senior moment, I thought the two thread merged in a meld of mad libs for a moment, guess I need to eat somthin.

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 19:08
i was told as well, dont bring the fly. its august, you wont need it.
i needed it.

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 19:13
** "If you don't use something everyday, don't carry it." This is a real myth. My tent fly is not used every day but is mandatory. My rain jacket ain't used often but when it is it has saved my butt., Etc.

** "You either hike or you camp." Every backpacker hikes and camps. Let's put this one to rest.

** "You need the right tool for the job." No, you need a multitool for a variety of jobs. Conditions change, temps change, weather changes. Etc. Morning at 50F, night comes a blizzard at 10F.

** "The lighter you go the more rewarding your hike." Totally bogus.Walter , thanks for bringing the ship a bout.I agree 100% on your choices, especially the reward system that seems to have taken a hold, I vow too continue to bring the things I need, and not worry about the things I've brought. Thanks for making such good sense of a pretty easy concept.

Spokes
07-09-2012, 19:24

Don't they make great substitutes for SealSkinz socks? I mean that sounds better than spending money on a paracord survival bracelet. :)

Rasty
07-09-2012, 19:28

Don't they make great substitutes for SealSkinz socks? I mean that's sounds better than spending money on a paracord survival bracelet. :)

Moisturize the toes also

coach lou
07-09-2012, 19:30
Don't they make great substitutes for SealSkinz socks? I mean that sounds better than spending money on a paracord survival bracelet. :)

What is that bracelet do anyway........is it for 5 day rain/ snow storms..........take it apart, tie it up again...repeat... I've never been able to figure it out?

WIAPilot
07-09-2012, 19:32

Oh brother! I was praying about the bear and LW getting what he deserves!!! And pleeease. I am very feminine and definitely like men. The difference is that I happen to like intelligent, successful, evolved men (as opposed to Neanderthals).

And the fact that I am still on WB definitely shows I have a sense of humor. :p

Double Wide
07-09-2012, 19:33
"You shouldn't camp within 200 feet of the water"

Seriously?

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 19:34
Don't they make great substitutes for SealSkinz socks? I mean that sounds better than spending money on a paracord survival bracelet. :)There also a duel use use item, but I may have a hard time explaining why I brought finger cots to put over my feet.;)

Rasty
07-09-2012, 19:35

Seriously?

Best place to camp.

Sarcasm the elf
07-09-2012, 19:35
BS advice? Folks pushing big miles and UL on people without first asking their experience or fitness levels. What is great advice for some can be terrible advice for others? ***Edit***Did they just do another software upgrade to the site? This here reply box on my ipad isnt letting me use smilies and is pushing all my paragraphs together (this reply was formatted as three different paragraphs when i hit 'submit reply')Doesn't make posting much fun... Wasn't having the problem yesterday. (insert frowny face here)

Jack Tarlin
07-09-2012, 19:38
I've met several folks in recent days (in Maryland and Pennsylvania) who were concerned because they'd recently been gravely told be "experts" that they were going too slow, were too late to get to Maine, would have to flip or skip sections, etc. This is, of course, in early July, nonsense, and is the sort of counsel almost universally given by people who haven't actually thru-hiked. So advice I call "BS" on? I'd say that's pretty much any "expert" who can tell you all about what you're doing right or wrong on your journey, without ever having attempted one of their own. When confronted by "help" of this sort, smile big, thank the clown in question, and keep moving.

Spokes
07-09-2012, 19:39
What is that bracelet do anyway........is it for 5 day rain/ snow storms..........take it apart, tie it up again...repeat... I've never been able to figure it out?

I think it's like doing origami except with paracord.

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 19:40
BS advice? Folks pushing big miles and UL on people without first asking their experience or fitness levels. What is great advice for some can be terrible advice for others? ***Edit***Did they just do another software upgrade to the site? This here reply box on my ipad isn't letting me use smilies and is pushing all my paragraphs together (this reply was formatted as three different paragraphs when i hit 'submit reply')Doesn't make posting much fun... Wasn't having the problem yesterday. (insert frowny face here)I haven't experienced that, but some real weird placement of threads and they have seemed to jump, or leaped frogged, thought it was me having a flash back, but then maybe it wasn't, hmm.......

Sarcasm the elf
07-09-2012, 19:41
What is that bracelet do anyway........is it for 5 day rain/ snow storms..........take it apart, tie it up again...repeat... I've never been able to figure it out?If you find yourself crash landed in the Andes it gives you just enough paracord to strangle a team mate for food. And remember, go for defense and goalies first, the forwards are too tough and stringy. (as explained above, assume tht I put a smiley here)

moocow
07-09-2012, 19:53
1. Virginia is all flat.

2. Viginia is rolling hills.

3. Repeat 1 and 2 at least 20x because that's how many times I must have heard it between Springer and Damascus.

moytoy
07-09-2012, 19:58
Oh brother! I was praying about the bear and LW getting what he deserves!!! And pleeease. I am very feminine and definitely like men. The difference is that I happen to like intelligent, successful, evolved men (as opposed to Neanderthals).

:p

My forhead is pretty much straight up and I have a slight chin. I'm Cro-Magnon thank you very much!

Iceaxe
07-09-2012, 20:09
I was told NOT to do the AT after hiking other trails.
They told me there was nothing interesting to see on the AT... Green tunnel.. blah blah blah..
They were WRONG!

I am VERY glad I hiked the AT and will most definitely re-visit her again.

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 20:12
The PA rocks are a piece of cake, "I call BS"

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 20:13

And the fact that I am still on WB definitely shows I have a sense of humor. :pthere goes that success word again.i dont think i would be able to live up to your definition.and no i dont want to debate it anymore.

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 20:14
after new hampshire, it gets easier.
yeah, ok.

Odd Man Out
07-09-2012, 20:16
There also a duel use use item, but I may have a hard time explaining why I brought finger cots to put over my feet.;)

Was trying to figure out what kind of duel you would have with them, but then decided not to go there. YIKES!

Sarcasm the elf
07-09-2012, 20:19
"There's no reason to carry a gun."

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 20:20
Was trying to figure out what kind of duel you would have with them, but then decided not to go there. YIKES!dare I say "Good Point" hehehe...not the worlds best speeler

coach lou
07-09-2012, 20:28
after new hampshire, it gets easier.
yeah, ok.

HB.............it does...........SOBO!

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 20:42
HB.............it does...........SOBO!
northern half of VT is a bit more than a stroll too.

Rasty
07-09-2012, 20:44

And the fact that I am still on WB definitely shows I have a sense of humor. :pthere goes that success word again.i dont think i would be able to live up to your definition.and no i dont want to debate it anymore.

We all can't be successful, then others would have no one to look down on. I had a moment of guilt with regard to pilot but that was just a moment.:(

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 20:47
We all can't be successful, then others would have no one to look down on. I had a moment of guilt with regard to pilot but that was just a moment.:(

its all in fun. too bad im a neanderthal. an intelligent neanderthal, but still......;)

Rasty
07-09-2012, 20:53

its all in fun. too bad im a neanderthal. an intelligent neanderthal, but still......;)

Don't we all have Neanderthal DNA in us. I saw a science program where the current accepted theory was Homo Sapiens absorbed the Neanerthals. Kind of takes away some of the sting when called one.:)

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 20:54
Don't we all have Neanderthal DNA in us. I saw a science program where the current accepted theory was Homo Sapiens absorbed the Neanerthals. Kind of takes away some of the sting when called one.:)

theres strength in numbers. itll help us during the pudding wrestling in damascus next year. LW can ref.

theoilman
07-09-2012, 20:56
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Double Wide:1309622

Seriously?

Best place to camp.

Never camp within 200 feet (or is that yards or meters)! If it rains too hard and the water rises, you'll get flooded!

Rasty
07-09-2012, 20:58

theres strength in numbers. itll help us during the pudding wrestling in damascus next year. LW can ref.

Chocolate, vanilla or pistachio pudding? If you say pistachio I will attend. If vanilla no thanks.

Rasty
07-09-2012, 21:02
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Double Wide:1309622

Seriously?

Best place to camp.

Never camp within 200 feet (or is that yards or meters)! If it rains too hard and the water rises, you'll get flooded!

Some common sense will go a long way there. Look for a high water mark. Unless a dam or levee breaks you should know if enough water is coming to go over the high water mark. If the dam breaks your dead either way.

Sarcasm the elf
07-09-2012, 21:08
Chocolate, vanilla or pistachio pudding? If you say pistachio I will attend. If vanilla no thanks.I don't think the hikers at trail days would allow for that much jello to go to waste ;-)

Rasty
07-09-2012, 21:12
Chocolate, vanilla or pistachio pudding? If you say pistachio I will attend. If vanilla no thanks.I don't think the hikers at trail days would allow for that much jello to go to waste ;-)

No need to waste it. Just make contestants shower before wrestling.

Rasty
07-09-2012, 21:21
Bad advise for me

1) Sturdy boots
2) Synthetic sleeping bag
3) Gore-Tex
4) Never hike alone

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2012, 21:33
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2783/4312587028_39b5ddc334_z.jpg?zz=1

Rasty
07-09-2012, 21:36
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2783/4312587028_39b5ddc334_z.jpg?zz=1

So cute! Even the owl.

theinfamousj
07-09-2012, 21:39
"You need the right tool for the job." No, you need a multitool for a variety of jobs. Conditions change, temps change, weather changes. Etc. Morning at 50F, night comes a blizzard at 10F.

Been there. So been there. Though as I recall, the AM temps felt more like 80. Then the blizzard. Refreshing at first ... but only at first. ;)

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2012, 21:40
Hey I am laughing my ass off as I read these threads to catch up I am still stuck on page three like a Klingon paper wipe....

Wait .....where did everybody go?

Cookerhiker
07-09-2012, 21:47
1. In the 70s when I took up backpacking, I drew on Ed Garvey's book for advice. Most of it was sound but his pronouncement "don't wear shorts on the AT" was bogus.

2. Fellow section hiker in Maine telling me to lighten my pack and get "old time religion"

3. "Always bring a compass" - I never bring a compass.

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2012, 21:52
10 essentials. - really Bs as in Boy Scouts.... folk still cannot agree on WB what the 10 are....

Rasty
07-09-2012, 22:01
10 essentials. - really Bs as in Boy Scouts.... folk still cannot agree on WB what the 10 are....

1) Rambo knife
2) Llama
3)

Sarcasm the elf
07-09-2012, 22:06
BS advice? Folks pushing big miles and UL on people without first asking their experience or fitness levels. What is great advice for some can be terrible advice for others? ***Edit***Did they just do another software upgrade to the site? This here reply box on my ipad isnt letting me use smilies and is pushing all my paragraphs together (this reply was formatted as three different paragraphs when i hit 'submit reply')Doesn't make posting much fun... Wasn't having the problem yesterday. (insert frowny face here)

If you find yourself crash landed in the Andes it gives you just enough paracord to strangle a team mate for food. And remember, go for defense and goalies first, the forwards are too tough and stringy. (as explained above, assume tht I put a smiley here)

"There's no reason to carry a gun."

Oddly it appears that I'm now able to post normally again on the iPad (the iPhone is still out of luck)

With that said, please sprinkle the following throughout my responses posted today:

;):p:):eek::sun:banana

FarmerChef
07-09-2012, 22:12
My favorite is every time a hiker (usually out for the day) sees us and the kids and tells how "treacherous" the upcoming trail is. Not so sure we've encountered "treacherous" trail just yet. Maybe Mt. Washington in a lightning storm but certainly not plain 'ole trail in warm sunlight on a temperate summer day....

"treacherous" :rolleyes:

coach lou
07-09-2012, 22:36
If you find yourself crash landed in the Andes it gives you just enough paracord to strangle a team mate for food. And remember, go for defense and goalies first, the forwards are too tough and stringy. (as explained above, assume tht I put a smiley here)

If I crash landed with Cliff, I'd starve to death...........or jump off the cliff:eek:

tdoczi
07-09-2012, 22:46
I've met several folks in recent days (in Maryland and Pennsylvania) who were concerned because they'd recently been gravely told be "experts" that they were going too slow, were too late to get to Maine, would have to flip or skip sections, etc. This is, of course, in early July, nonsense, and is the sort of counsel almost universally given by people who haven't actually thru-hiked. So advice I call "BS" on? I'd say that's pretty much any "expert" who can tell you all about what you're doing right or wrong on your journey, without ever having attempted one of their own. When confronted by "help" of this sort, smile big, thank the clown in question, and keep moving.

if you started at springer in march or april and are in MD the second week in july, isnt the notion that you might not reach katahdin before it starts snowing a matter of simple math?

SawnieRobertson
07-09-2012, 23:02
Repeatedly through four decades from clerks, nurses, physical therapists, brother . . . "You'll be murdered."

Coffee Rules!
07-09-2012, 23:05

**Wipes coffee off of laptop**

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2012, 23:08
1) Rambo knife
2) Llama
3)

Funny as hell Rambo is on AMC right now... Yea Rambo... Damn...

Coffee Rules!
07-09-2012, 23:12

I can see I need to quit reading this thread while enjoying my morning coffee.

**Wipes down monitor again**

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2012, 23:40
Love the condom post.... nice one...

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 23:42
I can see I need to quit reading this thread while enjoying my morning coffee.

**Wipes down monitor again**Naw, I got that one figured, I use nose clips!

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 23:46
"You'll never use that entire 36-count box of condoms"Sounds like you may need a hand.

Coffee Rules!
07-09-2012, 23:46
1) Rambo knife
2) Llama
3)

3) Artillery - For the bears. Just hook it to the llama and let the beast do double duty towing it as well as carrying your gear.

Coffee Rules!
07-09-2012, 23:47
Naw, I got that one figured, I use nose clips!

But then how would I breathe?

Coffee Rules!
07-09-2012, 23:48
Sounds like you may need a hand.

If you use a hand you won't need condoms.

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 23:51
But then how would I breathe?I didn't say it was a good idea

If you use a hand you won't need condoms.I didn't say it was a good idea

Biggie Master
07-09-2012, 23:55
Great post Spokes! I consider ALL advice from others as BS until I verify it through personal experience or observation. :p How could anyone else possibly know as much as I know about my hike?

Coffee Rules!
07-09-2012, 23:56
Rocket, there are people who can help you with that stuttering problem. :p

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 00:01
Rocket, there are people who can help you with that stuttering problem. :pXXX PM sent;)

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2012, 00:02
Wait ...nobody told me he sssstudderss! RS tell me it isn't so!

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 00:03
Wait ...nobody told me he sssstudderss! RS tell me it isn't so!XXXpm sending

Coffee Rules!
07-10-2012, 00:06
XXX PM sent;)

Will I need to borrow a condom from Velvet?

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 00:08
Will I need to borrow a condom from Velvet?and a 2x4, and a survival bracelet. ;)

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2012, 00:11
ohhh damn you guys pulled my leg ...Rs doens't studder

Next time don't pull my leg....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UCEjgb1sM7M/Sk3of4SfELI/AAAAAAAAAWU/9jBSkXdBhuc/s400/Barn+Owl.jpg

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 00:18
ohhh damn you guys pulled my leg ...Rs doens't studder

Next time don't pull my leg....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UCEjgb1sM7M/Sk3of4SfELI/AAAAAAAAAWU/9jBSkXdBhuc/s400/Barn+Owl.jpgInspecting plumage for possible DIY sleeping bag project....

Coffee Rules!
07-10-2012, 00:19
Y'all are killin' me!

Mags
07-10-2012, 00:34
Luckily TW has some in his post! :D

** "If you don't use something everyday, don't carry it."

Partial agreement. I would never git rid of my FAK, but if you have hiked two weeks without using your mug, perhaps it is time to get rid of it? :)

Willful (?) misinterpretation on your part. Some hikers do hike longer than others and some do camp more than others (and, esp among new comers, this is by default). On some trips (http://www.pmags.com/off-trail-delights-in-the-rawah-wilderness), I am hiking all day, mainly off trail through varied conditions (using a map and compass some of you think are myth, too. ;) )
and only camping so I can hike more.

Other trips are all about the camping (http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-the-next-generation). Hiking in a little bit, finding a great view, relaxing and sharing the joy of the outdoors with people I consider family.

Hey..that's another myth here on WB: It's all or nothing, one way or the other. God forbid you enjoy more than one way of doing something. ;)

Disagree.

TW, you are very experienced backpacker...but you only know how to use one color in a palette. If I had questions about backpacking in the southeast Appalachians, esp during winter, I don't think you have any peer here on WB.

Having said that, if you can't see why you'd take different gear for the desert, alpine, backcountry ski trips, climbing trips and so on then I wonder. The cold and wet southeast Appalachians use different gear than the hot and dry desert southwest. If you can't see that, than that is lack of experience.

Different jobs do require different tools. Otherwise we'd all have a hammer and call it good.

** "The lighter you go the more rewarding your hike." Totally bogus.

The more intelligently you pack for a trip, the more fun you have.

If Mrs, Mags comes with me on a backpacking trip, I am not taking an 8x10 tarp. Why? Well, if you knew Mrs. Mags, you'd know how stupid that would be. ;) I also take a thicker pad (more time in camp..ah, there is that hiking vs camping thing again...), a canister stove and a little vino.

Conversely, if I am solo, I am not taking a stove, taking a thing foam pad and the only drinking I am doing is from a snow melt stream.

Packing "stupid light", to quote Mr. Skurka is, well. stupid. Packing stupid heavy is also bad.

Packing 'stupid' is also very bad.

Let's pick intelligently to enjoy the the type of trip you (meaning others) want.

Not the trip that Tipi Walter wants, not the trip that a short, bald, ugly Eye-talian from Rhode Island wants and certainly not the trip that some other random people on White Blaze wants.

I guess the biggest myth here on WB is
"Different from my way is bad. Different from my way is incorrect. Different from my way is not enjoyable."

Lots of Wahaabbi here on WB when it comes to backpacking...

fredmugs
07-10-2012, 09:04
Biggest lie told on Whiteblaze: The only way to prepare for hiking the AT is by hiking.

Most dangerous advice: Some guy told a newbie hiker he should drink one liter of water every hour even if he had to force himself to drink it.

Most hilarious advice: Telling someone they need a compass. Cracks me up every time.

WingedMonkey
07-10-2012, 09:15
If hiking advice is always wrong why are so many people able to make a living on it? (or at least try).

:p

Mags
07-10-2012, 09:26
Most hilarious advice: Telling someone they need a compass. Cracks me up every time.

If you stick to well marked trails with with white rectangles, ample guidebooks and lots of support services..sure. ;)

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 09:29
As inocuous as this may be; All the questions asked on white blaze, have already been answered.

Rasty
07-10-2012, 09:33
As inocuous as this may be; All the questions asked on white blaze, have already been answered.

Time to shut the whole thing down then! :)

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 09:36
Time to shut the whole thing down then! :)No, wait, why, stop, I didn't mean it, I'll conform.........I I I will conform.......I need my White Blaze:(

Rasty
07-10-2012, 09:39
No, wait, why, stop, I didn't mean it, I'll conform.........I I I will conform.......I need my White Blaze:(

Too late rocket. I called the power company where the server is and put in a work order to have the electricty removed. :D

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 09:42
Too late rocket. I called the power company where the server is and put in a work order to have the electricity removed. :DYou can take the electricity out of the server, but you can't take it out of the people of WB........Never, AH hahahahahah..No Ney Never......

Rasty
07-10-2012, 09:43
You can take the electricity out of the server, but you can't take it out of the people of WB........Never, AH hahahahahah..No Ney Never......

You would just have to yell really loud instead. :)

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 09:44
You would just have to yell really loud instead. :)Didn't want to wake all the late night posters, hey wait..........

max patch
07-10-2012, 12:40
I would never git rid of my FAK, but if you have hiked two weeks without using your mug, perhaps it is time to get rid of it? :)

FAK?

(I bet when you answer I'll slap my forehead and say I knew that but right now I don't have a clue)

10-K
07-10-2012, 12:48
first aid kit

max patch
07-10-2012, 12:51
Forehead slapped.

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 12:56
I thought it meant "Freaking Achy Knee".

Spirit Walker
07-10-2012, 14:43
Every time Backpacker magazine writes about the AT, they say, "You don't need a tent because there are shelters." That one makes me mad every time. Stopped reading the magazine a few years ago, but I actually wrote them to suggest they stop passing on bad advice about the trail. Any one who has arrived at a full shelter on a rainy or snowy night, or who arrived at a shelter full of Scouts or 'hoods in the woods' or met someone who wouldn't stop talking or who made you nervous, or who got swarmed with mosquitoes on a hot night, knows the necessity of being prepared.

Spokes
07-10-2012, 15:00
Every time Backpacker magazine writes about the AT, they say, "You don't need a tent because there are shelters." That one makes me mad every time. ......

heheheheeee, they must have listened to you Spirit Walker!
My go to article for newbies on hiking the AT was written in 2008 in Backpacker Magazine. On page 7 the author makes it clear not to forego a tent. The article offers clear, succinct info which I found spot on.

Sure you can argue about some of the equipment suggestions but oh this is the "Hiking Advice you called BS on" thread...... :)

http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530

Ignore the pop-ups.

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 15:06
Every time Backpacker magazine writes about the AT, they say, "You don't need a tent because there are shelters." That one makes me mad every time. Stopped reading the magazine a few years ago, but I actually wrote them to suggest they stop passing on bad advice about the trail. Any one who has arrived at a full shelter on a rainy or snowy night, or who arrived at a shelter full of Scouts or 'hoods in the woods' or met someone who wouldn't stop talking or who made you nervous, or who got swarmed with mosquitoes on a hot night, knows the necessity of being prepared.Guns on the trail is another thread.;)

jakedatc
07-10-2012, 15:12
If you pack a gun you don't need a tent? (how many bullets....)

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 15:15
If you pack a gun you don't need a tent? (how many bullets....)I guess it depends on how good a shot you are.Them skeeters are quick

bfayer
07-10-2012, 15:23
I watched a guy set his pants on fire with alcohol right after he told me my canister stove was just extra weight. (He was not hurt, just had less hair on his hands and arms )

Gave a guy the last of my TP the day after he told me filtering spring water was a waste of time.

Maybe they were both right.

I told a guy this summer that there is no need to carry a battle ax or machete on the AT, I am sure he thought my advice was BS.

My only point is that BS is in the eye of the beholder.

Bootbanger
07-10-2012, 15:24
Do what makes YOU feel good.

Back in the 90s an REI salesperson tried to sell me on the need for a 7000c.i. expedition pack for section hikes. I haven't shopped at or trusted REI since then, except when they had some carbon fiber paddles on sale one time.

Also, I recall lots of advice on clothing that just seemed weak and/or a little old school, e.g., the need for pants, a sun hat, long sleeves, and boots. I wear shorts year round with thermals when necessary, never wear a summer hat because I hate how they feel (always keep a warm cap around), hate long sleeved shirts, and prefer going barefoot, wearing fivefingers, or trainers. When I do wear boots they're not hiking boots. I never want to look like one of those khaki-clad people with socks tucked over pants, safari shirts, wide brimmed hats, giant packs, and large walking sticks that I see shuffling around the local parks on "hikes". Generally I like not feeling the weight of my clothes and prefer them as thin and light as possible.

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2012, 15:46

Although the question about "Do I put my Dentures in the Bear Vault at night?" was really close that claim!

Spokes
07-10-2012, 15:47

Gave a guy the last of my TP the day after he told me filtering spring water was a waste of time.

Now that's funny. Well..... Depending on what end you're on.

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 15:55
Although the question about "Do I put my Dentures in the Bear Vault at night?" was really close that claim!Now that is really an intelligent question I think, I'd have to say the answer was No, you bear bag em.

atmilkman
07-10-2012, 15:59
If you pack a gun you don't need a tent? (how many bullets....)
If you bring a dog you don't need a sleeping bag, but it's gotta be a pretty big dog.

pheldozer
07-10-2012, 16:00
Every time Backpacker magazine writes about the AT, they say, "You don't need a tent because there are shelters." That one makes me mad every time. Stopped reading the magazine a few years ago, but I actually wrote them to suggest they stop passing on bad advice about the trail. Any one who has arrived at a full shelter on a rainy or snowy night, or who arrived at a shelter full of Scouts or 'hoods in the woods' or met someone who wouldn't stop talking or who made you nervous, or who got swarmed with mosquitoes on a hot night, knows the necessity of being prepared.
sounds like a great strategy for backpacker to alienate their already dwindling number of advertisers!

Suckerfish
07-10-2012, 16:32
REI guy #1...You don't want to put the buld of your pack weight on your hips, you want to even it out over your shoulders and hips.

REI Guy #2...Wear cross trainers and dump your hiking boots, much more comfortable

Every personal friend...You're hiking alone up there without a gun, dude you're crazy.

kayak karl
07-10-2012, 16:37
If you bring a dog you don't need a sleeping bag, but it's gotta be a pretty big dog.
,but then the temp changes to a three dog nite. then what?

jakedatc
07-10-2012, 16:53

Celebrate?

http://youtu.be/kXI6CdTVJ-0?t=1m29s

atmilkman
07-10-2012, 17:05
This is when your skill at adapting and improvising comes into play. Your gonna have to trade some of the food your sleeping with for a nice cuddly night with a hiker friendly bear.

Pedaling Fool
07-10-2012, 17:08
Hiking gets one closer to nature ... B.S.

SawnieRobertson
07-10-2012, 17:13
heheheheeee, they must have listened to you Spirit Walker!
My go to article for newbies on hiking the AT was written in 2008 in Backpacker Magazine. On page 7 the author makes it clear not to forego a tent. The article offers clear, succinct info which I found spot on.

Sure you can argue about some of the equipment suggestions but oh this is the "Hiking Advice you called BS on" thread...... :)

http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530.

That was a nice link, Spokes. Thanks for posting it.

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 18:11
Gortex boots are no good for the trail, I call Bull S***. Maybe there not good for a thru-hike (long distance hike day after day, rain storm after rain storm), but for a weekender like myself (really I'm a day hiker, psssst don't tell anybody) there freaking awesome, comfortable too!

verasch
07-10-2012, 18:14

Sure does make it easier to make a water report this way though.

fredmugs
07-10-2012, 19:08
Hiking gets one closer to nature ... B.S.

Closer yes. In touch with? I am more environmentally conscious since I started hiking the AT.

thecyclops
07-10-2012, 23:30
My buddy told me there was trail whores.......

ChinMusic
07-10-2012, 23:43
My buddy told me there was trail whores.......
Metaphorically, yes.

Donde
07-10-2012, 23:52
People told me people in Damascus were friendly and in CT they were mean. Seemed the other way 'round when I went through. (to be fair if I lived in Damascus I'd be a dick to hikers too).

Jack Tarlin
07-11-2012, 10:22
I was asked a direct question in Post#97, and the answer is that people still in Maryland in July, like the ones I met recently, have plenty of time to complete their hikes before poor weather prevents them from doing so. It takes most people 80-85 days to get from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin. One could leave Harpers TODAY and still finish in late September, which is a gloroius time to complete a thru-hike.

jakedatc
07-11-2012, 11:38
Was told Whiteblaze was a good place to share information about hiking. bzzzt wrong

max patch
07-11-2012, 12:16
I was asked a direct question in Post#97, and the answer is that people still in Maryland in July, like the ones I met recently, have plenty of time to complete their hikes before poor weather prevents them from doing so. It takes most people 80-85 days to get from Harpers Ferry to Katahdin. One could leave Harpers TODAY and still finish in late September, which is a gloroius time to complete a thru-hike.

Exactly.

TODAY is July 11. I arrived in Harpers Ferry on July 13 and easily finished my thru without changing my pace and spending probably more zeros in towns than I should have.

ChinMusic
07-11-2012, 12:33
Exactly.

TODAY is July 11. I arrived in Harpers Ferry on July 13 and easily finished my thru without changing my pace and spending probably more zeros in towns than I should have.

I would think it depends greatly on how long it TOOK you to get to Harpers.

wookinpanub
07-11-2012, 12:53
1) Never hike alone
2) Ditch the external frame pack. (I love my external, especially in the summer.)
3) You'll never be able to finish a thru in 4 months.
4) With this sock, you don't need a liner. (Multiple store clerks.)

tdoczi
07-11-2012, 19:24

how long does it take most people to get from spring to harpers ferry? if they left springer april 1st or earlier and are in HF now, thats over 90 days. if it took them 90 days to make HF i dont see how its reasonable to think they can make katahdin in another 80 to 85.

now if they left springer mid to late april, then i agree with you.

tdoczi
07-11-2012, 19:25
I would think it depends greatly on how long it TOOK you to get to Harpers.

exactly my point. some people could leave springer now and make it to katahdin. that doesnt mean the people who actually are in HF right now could.

clickchik
07-12-2012, 00:38
Please pass the popcorn....or the towel...lol!!!!

Bronk
07-12-2012, 02:09
how long does it take most people to get from spring to harpers ferry? if they left springer april 1st or earlier and are in HF now, thats over 90 days. if it took them 90 days to make HF i dont see how its reasonable to think they can make katahdin in another 80 to 85.

now if they left springer mid to late april, then i agree with you.

Most people start out averaging 10 or 12 miles a day...by the time they reach Harper's Ferry they are capable of doing 20+ miles a day, so they have the potential to cover the remaining distance much more quickly.

rocketsocks
07-12-2012, 02:31
Many old White Blazers have left because of all the silly, stupid, silly, shanananagans, and because people who posts these off the wall post don't go hiking.

I call Bull *****, and reject your reality, and instead insert my own. They left because they got tired of A-holes, and all the bull *****, had nothing to do with joking around, don't kid yourselves. TRUTH!

tdoczi
07-12-2012, 07:04
Most people start out averaging 10 or 12 miles a day...by the time they reach Harper's Ferry they are capable of doing 20+ miles a day, so they have the potential to cover the remaining distance much more quickly.

A) most people, if they started before april 1st, are already well past HF. we are not talking about most people. clearly these are people who have not been able to step up their pace, or theyd be past HF before july 1st.
B) they still have the part of the trail that slows every down in front of them.

brian039
07-12-2012, 12:41
A) most people, if they started before april 1st, are already well past HF. we are not talking about most people. clearly these are people who have not been able to step up their pace, or theyd be past HF before july 1st.
B) they still have the part of the trail that slows every down in front of them.

Hiking pace isn't necessarily what slows people down in the beginning. Injury, towns, and a slow start at a time with less daylight are the more common factors. Injuries heal, as things tend to get more expensive up north you stay in towns less often, and then once you hit your stride you burn through miles from Harper's Ferry to Glencliff with the added advantage of more daylight. It's true that the Whites and Southern Maine will slow you down but it's not that big of a deal, you'll still do more miles there than you did in Georgia just because the days are longer.

Jack Tarlin
07-12-2012, 13:10
Tdoczi: There are any number of reasons that it takes people less time to do second half of their trip than the first. In no particular order:

1. People aren't in trail shape in Georgia. It takes them at least several weeks to get there.
2. Virtually everyone is packing too much stuff and it'll take them awhile to get rid of all the unnecessary things.
3. Pack weight in Georgia and much of the South is higher as people are all carrying extra clothes, winter accessories, a heavier sleeping bag, etc.
4. Inclement weather in the South leads to a lot of abbreviated days, shortened days, extra town time, etc.
5. There are more facilities, hostels, and town stops in the South, all of which are very attractive to new hikers and are difficult to skip.

All of these factors mean your typical daily mileage in the South is quite slow as compared to later on. For all of these reasons, then, it takes most folks longer to get from Springer to Harpers Ferry than it does to get from Harpers to Katahdin. By the time they get to Harpers most folks are easily hiking 15-22 miles every day, which they are NOT doing in Georgia or North Carolina. A typical post-Harpers schedule would look something like this:

1. State of Maryland 2-3 days
2. Pennsylvania 15-16 days
3. NY/NJ 10 days
4. CT/MA 7-8 days
5. VT 9-11 days
6. NH 12 days
7. ME 22-26 days

This schedule includes half days and even a few zero mileage days. It is by no means a fast or accelerated pace, either. So getting from Harpers to Katahdin in 80-odd days is by no means unusual. It is, in fact, what most people do.

tdoczi
07-12-2012, 14:03
This schedule includes half days and even a few zero mileage days. It is by no means a fast or accelerated pace, either. So getting from Harpers to Katahdin in 80-odd days is by no means unusual. It is, in fact, what most people do.

i dont disagree with that for a second. but how fast do most people do springer to harpers? all i am saying is that someone who has hiked slower than most for nearly half of the trail is probably going to continue to hike slower than most for the second half of the trail, so i dont see the relevance of how quickly most people do the 2nd half, as we are not talking about most people, we are talking about slower than average people. someone who throughout the entire 1st half hiked on average say 10% slower than most, as everyone speeds up, they will also speed up, but will likely still be slower than average, thus what an average hiker can do doesnt apply, as they are not average hikers.

"most" people arent still in MD in july unless they started late or had some extenuating circumstance. or am i wrong in that statement? i suppose i could be, but i doubt it.

Spokes
07-12-2012, 14:26
Tdoczi: There are any number of reasons that it takes people less time to do second half of their trip than the first. .....

Jack, Ive always found your information spot on. I constantly referred to your re-supply article on my 2009 thru and would have been lost without it.

Now, if I could only figure out how to turn you into a smartphone app...... :)

Whack-a-mole
07-13-2012, 10:44
[QUOTE=FarmerChef;1309704]My favorite is every time a hiker (usually out for the day) sees us and the kids and tells how "treacherous" the upcoming trail is. Not so sure we've encountered "treacherous" trail just yet. Maybe Mt. Washington in a lightning storm but certainly not plain 'ole trail in warm sunlight on a temperate summer day....

Back in Feb we were near Blood Mtn in an ice storm. A young fellow from Alabama was trying to tell us the trail was treacherous, but was shaking so bad he was saying "the trail was tetrus". Well that trail name stuck, and I talked to him on the phone about 2 weeks ago, and he was way up in new england and may be finishing soon. Good Luck Tetrus....Hope things are going great for you!!!

Jack Tarlin
07-13-2012, 11:06
Tdoczi: Certainly hikers that started in late February or the first 3 weeks of March have passed thru Maryland before July, but there are still hundreds of folks that start in late March or early to mid-April who absolutely find themselves in Maryland in early to mid July. And as I've said, they have plenty of time to finish. But to say that anyone who finds themselves in Maryland in July is "slow" or had some extenuating circumstance, well, no, I'd disagree with that. All it means is you most likely started a few weeks later than a lot of other folks. It's perfectly normal and OK to still be in Maryland up until mid-July.

It takes most folks 85-95 days to get from Springer to Harpers Ferry, regardless of when they start. (The February starters may well take a bit longer as protracted periods of poor weather lead to more shortened days, unplanned days off in town, etc.) And yes, someone who's "slow" (i.e. hiking at a slower pace than most other folks) may well be "slower" throughout their entire hike, but the fact remains that most people's mile per day average increases in Virginia and stays that way thru all the mid-Atlantic states, and well into New England. It isn't until the White Mts. and later Maine that people's mpd (miles per day) slows down because of the terrain. Whether one is a fast hiker, average hiker, or "slow" hiker, people tend to go faster once they get to Harpers Ferry and this continues til they get around 50 miles into New Hampshire.

Also, as I said earlier, the fact that it takes longer to get to Harpers Ferry has many factors: It takes awhile for folks to get in shape. Keep n mind thatt many folks are only doing 6-12 miles the first week or two, and it'll take them quite awhile to get to that mile per day average that they'll easily be achieving later on. Plus their pack weight is heavier; they're carrying winterweight gear; they're likely to run into bad weather that will drive them into towns and keep them there; and there are all sorts of facilities (like friendly hostels) that are really difficult to skip, especially if all of one's friends are staying there. As folks get further north, there are fewer facilities for hikers, they are spaced further apart, meaning people are out for 5-6 days at a time, which they don't do down South, plus, in many cases, people are tighter with their money as they realize they have less of it, and are a little more diligent with the frequency and length of their town stops. For all these reasons, the vast majority of folks, even "slow" hikers, tend to accelerate after Harpers Ferry.

tdoczi
07-13-2012, 12:10
Tdoczi: Certainly hikers that started in late February or the first 3 weeks of March have passed thru Maryland before July, but there are still hundreds of folks that start in late March or early to mid-April who absolutely find themselves in Maryland in early to mid July. And as I've said, they have plenty of time to finish. But to say that anyone who finds themselves in Maryland in July is "slow" or had some extenuating circumstance, well, no, I'd disagree with that. All it means is you most likely started a few weeks later than a lot of other folks. It's perfectly normal and OK to still be in Maryland up until mid-July.

It takes most folks 85-95 days to get from Springer to Harpers Ferry, regardless of when they start. (The February starters may well take a bit longer as protracted periods of poor weather lead to more shortened days, unplanned days off in town, etc.) And yes, someone who's "slow" (i.e. hiking at a slower pace than most other folks) may well be "slower" throughout their entire hike, but the fact remains that most people's mile per day average increases in Virginia and stays that way thru all the mid-Atlantic states, and well into New England. It isn't until the White Mts. and later Maine that people's mpd (miles per day) slows down because of the terrain. Whether one is a fast hiker, average hiker, or "slow" hiker, people tend to go faster once they get to Harpers Ferry and this continues til they get around 50 miles into New Hampshire.

Also, as I said earlier, the fact that it takes longer to get to Harpers Ferry has many factors: It takes awhile for folks to get in shape. Keep n mind thatt many folks are only doing 6-12 miles the first week or two, and it'll take them quite awhile to get to that mile per day average that they'll easily be achieving later on. Plus their pack weight is heavier; they're carrying winterweight gear; they're likely to run into bad weather that will drive them into towns and keep them there; and there are all sorts of facilities (like friendly hostels) that are really difficult to skip, especially if all of one's friends are staying there. As folks get further north, there are fewer facilities for hikers, they are spaced further apart, meaning people are out for 5-6 days at a time, which they don't do down South, plus, in many cases, people are tighter with their money as they realize they have less of it, and are a little more diligent with the frequency and length of their town stops. For all these reasons, the vast majority of folks, even "slow" hikers, tend to accelerate after Harpers Ferry.

i guess ive just never met these people. the past 2 years when i was out in early june between waynseboro and boiling springs the thrus i met were overwhelmingly april starts, leading me to conclude most march starters were ahead of them, and by extension, any that are behind them are moving at a much slower than average pace. it certainly didnt seem like it took many or any of them 85-95 days to springer to HF, more like 70-80.

Jack Tarlin
07-14-2012, 00:38
tdoczi: Sorry to have to remark on this, but it appears that you just said that by overwhelming amounts, the March starters you encountered were ahead of those that started their hikes in April. Forgive me for saying this, and maybe I'm missing something, but is there anything unusual or unexpected about this?

Different Socks
07-15-2012, 11:55
I don't treat water. Really.

I do carry a few tablets though just in case.

I guess you haven't walked a mile on the PCT or CDT or Ice Age Trail.

Different Socks
07-15-2012, 11:59
There is no rocky trail in Penn on the AT.

Cookerhiker
07-15-2012, 12:08
There is no rocky trail in Penn on the AT.

Someone told you that?:-?

coach lou
07-15-2012, 12:21

Yea, that's the virtual trail that we cyber hikers are on.

tdoczi
07-15-2012, 14:26
tdoczi: Sorry to have to remark on this, but it appears that you just said that by overwhelming amounts, the March starters you encountered were ahead of those that started their hikes in April. Forgive me for saying this, and maybe I'm missing something, but is there anything unusual or unexpected about this?

no. whats unusual or unexpected, at least to me based on what i've experienced, is the idea that "most" hikers who start from springer in march dont arrive in HF until july, which is basically your contention. even perusing the hikers spotted thread on here the past few days reveals that march starts are will into PA and beyond by now. i dont think these are the exceptionally fast hikers, these are the norm, or "most people." the ones behind them who started at the same time are not "most people" as you claim they are, they are slower than average hikers. nothing wrong with that, but thats what they are.

and please do not repeat as reply yet again all the reasons why people go more slowly at the start. i know and accept all that to be true, but how did all those people who are in PA already seem to be oblivious to bad weather and shorter days and the need to build up their strength? the answer is they werent. they faced those obstacles and overcame them just the same as the people who are 2 or 3 weeks behind them. the difference is the people still in MD are slower than average hikers, and will likely remain so. again, not to say theres anything even remotely wrong with that.

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2012, 15:11
Please pass the popcorn....or the towel...lol!!!!

Please do not use your cathole trowel - wash your hands -

http://www.myoddsock.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/orville-redenbacher-150x150.jpg

Different Socks
07-15-2012, 17:37

More than one hiker!