PDA

View Full Version : cant we all get along.

Pages : [1] 2

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 21:10
we argue about every conceivable possibility of trail life, but at the end of the day, we're all passionate about our lives, both off and on the trail and thats good.but for some reason, sometimes things here get a little out of hand and some people take some criticism as if it were meant for them personally, when it isnt, and it leads to some bad blood.
keep in mind, folks, we come on line to both offer and get advice, and very few days go by that i dont learn something new here.but personal attakcs have become a bit more common of late, and i dont know whether its the heat or not, but it doesnt have to be. ive never had issues with people ive met on the trail, but it seems like we all have issues here and have forgotten the meaning of the overused term HYOH.
i like joking around , and sometimes its just a diversion from work.
so the answer to why i hike(another thread) for me is simple.
on the trail, i dont have to deal with a lot of the BS i read here.
and i cant wait to be away from this for a month(im sure some of you cant wait eithr.)
but cant we just all get along?

Lone Wolf
07-09-2012, 21:12
agree.........

About_Time
07-09-2012, 21:18
I agree with you totally. I think the "smart a$$" answers have gotten out of control and is undermining the usefulness of the site for anyone new and is likely driving away users who were tolerant to some degree of the BS.

I personally researched and started using the "ignore user" function earlier today in an effort to deal with it.

Storm
07-09-2012, 21:19
This is just a typical computer thing, some people have a lot more kahoonies when they don't have to face the person they are arguing with.

OzJacko
07-09-2012, 22:04
On the other hand, it can be fun sitting on the sidelines and watching the playgroup spats...
Being in a different time zone, I just tend to trawl through a couple of the threads and learn a bit about the AT.
Watching the bun fights on different issues can be entertaining in a perverse way as a bonus.
I am sure that I could share a shelter with both sides of every argument, only not at the same time. :-)

kayak karl
07-09-2012, 22:05
everything was fine up to about july of 2010:D

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 22:09
Alright so now lone wolf has just been put to sleep for a while until things calm down. So let's please play nice so we don't lose any more legends.

Sarcasm the elf
07-09-2012, 22:12

When did jester abandon ship again? :-?

hikerboy57
07-09-2012, 22:12

Thank you... It's about the same time I started seeing the problem

coach lou
07-09-2012, 22:25
This is just a typical computer thing, some people have a lot more kahoonies when they don't have to face the person they are arguing with.

I'm finding that this is a true statement, unfortunate, but true. I myself stay out of threads that I have no desire to battle in. I am a joker at heart, and i love to kid around. One thing that I have noticed is something i observed while serving in the military... we are all in the same country but we have different cultural backrounds. What is funny to some, may just not be funny to others. 5 of my 6 "friends" live not more than 150 miles from me, I often PM them to vent, I do not take it out on the open thread and trash other folks. I even asked a mod to close my 'death rate' thread because it was all over the place, and in some cases had become combative and i didn't want to be a party to that. This is a really cool site to belong to, even after 40+ years playing in the woods, Boy Scouts, USMC, I learn stuff here all the time, I've met Sarcasm, I'm going to meet HB57, Rocketsocks, WOO and many others on the trail I hope. They all have serious things to say and all have a good sense of humor. We all have agreed this can get addicting, but it is not the arguing and name calling that we click on for. That's how I feel and I'm sticking with it..............................................I love to get down to Damascus and smoke a legal cigar with that sourpuss Jarhead, remind him how we Marines eat soup Soba with chopsticks!

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2012, 23:14
I agree with the above posts but after reading the banter between WIA pilot and LW, his misspelling's and grammar and time of night is due to drinking. WIA did not deserve what was dished out.

SO don't drink and post rant.

ChinMusic
07-09-2012, 23:27
Who doesn't like a good cock fight?

Wise Old Owl
07-09-2012, 23:27
ohh just blame it on the heat wave.... Wait you are in Rhode Island... nevermind... Do you honestly think this latest event has anything to do with what you posted? Years of reading posts here ...one has to see a pattern, as I am guilty of it too.

rocketsocks
07-09-2012, 23:39
Well......WB is anything but boring. It's why I stay. I like the fact that you can have an all out "S*** Storm", and the next day.....alls good, till about 8:00pm then same thing.....it's all good though, but that's just an opinion.

jakedatc
07-09-2012, 23:44
No, just a general observation watching WIA get defensive.. other guy following her around saving the day..

ya, decently warm in RI but the water helps keep it out of triple digits. 2 weeks till 3 weeks in VT can't wait.

Coffee Rules!
07-09-2012, 23:58
I took Alligator's advice and added LW to my ignore list. Shouldn't be a problem now with him and Je--err I mean Jake--out of the picture.

hikerboy57
07-10-2012, 00:03
I took Alligator's advice and added LW to my ignore list. Shouldn't be a problem now with him and Je--err I mean Jake--out of the picture.

You may have missed the point of this thread.

Coffee Rules!
07-10-2012, 00:08
You may have missed the point of this thread.

I got the point, and I know me well enough to know the best way to get along with some folks is to ignore them. This ain't my first rodeo on the innerwebz. I'll type my own type.

Coffee Rules!
07-10-2012, 00:30
Allow me to add here the apology to HB that I sent in a PM, to apologize to anyone else who took my comment as antagonistic. It wasn't the intent at all. I really do want to get along, and I honestly do know how to make it work best for me. So, if my comment was taken the wrong way, I apologize. Now let's crack a beer and chill. Someone will have to crack and drink my beer though, since I can't drink.

Nutbrown
07-10-2012, 07:51
Awwww, I'm starting to feel the love again!

kayak karl
07-10-2012, 08:13
i sent an apology to someone also because they thought i was being sarcastic and mean. i really didn't intend for them to take it that way as i was being condescending. :)

Coffee Rules!
07-10-2012, 08:37
Awwww, I'm starting to feel the love again!

**Smacks Nutbrown upside the head**

Don't get too comfortable. :p

Coffee Rules!
07-10-2012, 08:38
i sent an apology to someone also because they thought i was being sarcastic and mean. i really didn't intend for them to take it that way as i was being condescending. :)

How dare they mistake condescension for sarcasm and meanness!

max patch
07-10-2012, 09:07
I took Alligator's advice and added LW to my ignore list.

That makes no sense.

IIRC you have no AT experience, so you come to an AT forum to learn, but you then choose to ignore one of the individuals here with more AT miles than most, and align yourself with others who have no AT experience.

As they say, Ignorance is bliss.

jakedatc
07-10-2012, 09:12
some people would rather be wrong... can't help them no matter how much you try.

Sailing_Faith
07-10-2012, 09:15
Hike your Own Hike baby!

Hike it!

Rasty
07-10-2012, 09:29
Thank you... It's about the same time I started seeing the problem

Anything special about July 2010? I checked my join date first to make sure it wasn't me, but I stopped lurking in June 2011.

Rasty
07-10-2012, 09:37
When did jester abandon ship again? :-?

Spent about two hours reading Jester2000's threads last night. All I can say is whole s... that's funny.

HikerMom58
07-10-2012, 09:47
"some people would rather be wrong... can't help them no matter how much you try."..........Quoting jakedatc...........

This IS the problem, right here...... It's NOT about being RIGHT OR WRONG... it's about getting along with others and being TEACHABLE!! "Plays well with others", is what we are supposed to learn in kindergarten. If you want to cock an attitude,"my way or the highway," you can do that, no prob., but you will end up ALONE. I've had to learn that lesson for MYSELF. :/ You can do whatever you want to do, say whatever you want to say, but, at the end of the day you should ask yourself, "How's that working for me?" I asked myself that question and the answer was, "NOT". I like this site, but I don't like the "know it alls" that post on here. I don't pay any attention to "who" is "trash talking", I just find it extremely annoying..........

rhjanes
07-10-2012, 10:56
This place is positivily civil and calm compared to some (non-hiking) forums I've seen.....

ATMountainTime
07-10-2012, 12:39
Glad someone said it. Ive posted a couple times, all i caught was smart remarks and minor insults. Was hoping more out of this group. I might post again, but beleive me, i will keep it to gear ONLY questions.

Pedaling Fool
07-10-2012, 17:06
This place is positivily civil and calm compared to some (non-hiking) forums I've seen.....Yeah, pretty tame here.

10-K
07-10-2012, 17:20
It seems to me that it was a bit better here when the people who posted a lot also hiked a lot. There seems to be a proliferation of posters who post often and rarely go hiking.

Just scan the thread titles - some of them are just stupid (sorry...). Then take a look at the quality of replies - at least 50% of the stuff posted these days is equally as inane.

It's contagious - when everyone is posting stupid **** I sometimes have to get my shot in too.

Not trying to be judgmental or anything at all - just an observation.

max patch
07-10-2012, 17:45
WWMD?

What Would Mags Do?

If everyone asked themselves WWMD before posting this would be a much better and useful site.

max patch
07-10-2012, 17:47
It seems to me that it was a bit better here when the people who posted a lot also hiked a lot. There seems to be a proliferation of posters who post often and rarely go hiking.

Just scan the thread titles - some of them are just stupid (sorry...). Then take a look at the quality of replies - at least 50% of the stuff posted these days is equally as inane.

It's contagious - when everyone is posting stupid **** I sometimes have to get my shot in too.

Gotta agree with everything the man said.

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 18:04
WWMD?

What Would Mags Do?

If everyone asked themselves WWMD before posting this would be a much better and useful site.I think the site is extremely useful, I also think many take the site way to serious, and when that feeling oh S*** not again , rears it's ugly head, it's probably a good idea to "Go take a hike"

Sarcasm the elf
07-10-2012, 18:59
This place is positivily civil and calm compared to some (non-hiking) forums I've seen.....

This is absolutely true. I actually stopped going to CNN's website after they began adding comments sections to some of their articles.

I remain grateful that political discussions are for the most part off limits on this site.

10-K I completely agree and admit I'm a bit guilty of this myself. If you look at my posting frequency over time, it is inversely proportional to the amount of hiking I've been doing.

In other words, I'm only here because I don't have time to get out on the trail. It's been a rough start to this year which is why my total post count has doubled in the last six months.

How is Drake doing by the way?

rickb
07-10-2012, 19:23
No, just a general observation watching WIA get defensive.. other guy following her around saving the day..

ya, decently warm in RI but the water helps keep it out of triple digits. 2 weeks till 3 weeks in VT can't wait.

Bristol is cool even when its hot. Where else can you take a bike trail out of town and have a guy offer you the 30# striper he just pulled in along the route. I wish the wife had put her basket on. With out any way to strap it on and miles to go, we had to decline his generocity. Too bad-- it would have been a trail magic story for the ages. That was about 3 weeks ago.

Not sure I get whats behind this thread, but anyone looking for personal validation in a forum is probably in the wrong place. If one hikes their own hike, it really doesn't matter what a few strangers think of them, right? Muzak never offends b

John B
07-10-2012, 19:41

Agreed 100%. And quite a few members with multiple thrus and at least one triple crown hiker who now rarely or never post anymore.

rickb
07-10-2012, 19:48
Agreed 100%. And quite a few members with multiple thrus and at least one triple crown hiker who now rarely or never post anymore.

Was it the tone that drove them away?

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2012, 20:04
Some cannot handle the heat,

Coffee - take LW off the list - learn to deal with folk that do not agree with you.... quite possible that is the spice of life. learning to understand others takes time and patience - who knew.

I know for a fact a few have me on ignore... it only hurt once. Someone that I really appreciated reading his posts. "Emerald."

Yea I miss him- that's from the heart.

Sailing_Faith
07-10-2012, 20:10
Yes, take LW off your list. I have met him, he is a stand up guy.... just don't tell him I said so or he will totally roast me.

Tuckahoe
07-10-2012, 20:14
FREE Lone Wolf!

I'd take LW off any ignore list. I've never actually had the opportunity to meet him in person, but what he posts here usually cuts through the BS and is honest and straight forward.

And for anyone that takes offense at being called "sweetie" it is term of endearment... worry when someone says "well bless your heart."

jakedatc
07-10-2012, 20:17
Bristol is cool even when its hot. Where else can you take a bike trail out of town and have a guy offer you the 30# striper he just pulled in along the route. I wish the wife had put her basket on. With out any way to strap it on and miles to go, we had to decline his generocity. Too bad-- it would have been a trail magic story for the ages. That was about 3 weeks ago.

Not sure I get whats behind this thread, but anyone looking for personal validation in a forum is probably in the wrong place. If one hikes their own hike, it really doesn't matter what a few strangers think of them, right? Muzak never offends b

i'm a mountain person not a beach person so being down here is pretty sucky. I do enjoy being able to ride most of the winter but i'd trade it for NH/VT even CT in a heartbeat. Bike path is only good early in the AM and in the winter with no snow yet. too crowded and too many people for real riding.

kayak karl
07-10-2012, 20:29
#1. some need to get a thicker skin. #2. some need to stop typing and read. #3. some need to take a hike.

the site is just white noise anymore. people posting on threads where they have no business posting, being followed by their their clique.

a lot of members i have met. at functions and on the trail. even if i don't agree with them, i respect them :)

if i have offended anyone. go back to #1

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2012, 20:35
Maybe "If i have offended anyone. go back to #1"

if you would stop fartin when folk are behind you we would not need a thick skin or feathers!...:eek:

Bearpaw
07-10-2012, 20:55

I absolutely agree. There came a point for me when I saw people who had little hiking experience and zero AT experience offering poor advice as if they were veterans. When they were called out, the "offended" parties would report posts and cry until eventually theirs was the primary voice left.

I used to moderate here. One of my policies was to perhaps lock a thread when it went out of control, but rarely delete posts. It let others see when someone was truly out there and not reliable. Granted, moderating here is thankless and tough, but I feel like moderation that caters to the easily offended has driven away much of the real experience and knowledge on the site. It's unfortunate.

I'm actually not sure how I wound up here tonight. I made it a point to only come here to post trip reports. When the trip report forum was dismantled, I pretty quit following the forums here. Night all.

10-K
07-10-2012, 21:08
I'm actually not sure how I wound up here tonight. I made it a point to only come here to post trip reports. When the trip report forum was dismantled, I pretty quit following the forums here. Night all.

Speaking of which I never thanked you for emailing me the links to your IMT trip reports. I did hike the entire trail and it was a great hike.

The northern half was civilized complete with shelters and piped springs and the southern half was just the opposite - wild and dry.

Blissful
07-10-2012, 21:08
As they say, Ignorance is bliss.

Excuse me????

Is this ANYway to get along???

lol

moytoy
07-10-2012, 21:25
Excuse me????

Is this ANYway to get along???

lol
I truely did laugh out loud at that! It just hit my funny bone I guess.

Rasty
07-10-2012, 21:25
It's actually kind of sad when a thread titled "can't we all just get along" degenerates to an argument.

Sailing_Faith
07-10-2012, 21:31
It's actually kind of sad when a thread titled "can't we all just get along" degenerates to an argument.

Caught that irony too... (insert sarcastic rude comment here... to go along with topic). :)

Hellush
07-10-2012, 21:31
Hikerboy why are you picking at everyone and starting trouble? WB is clearly a place of love, peace, commonality, and hugs. : )

Rasty
07-10-2012, 21:33
Hikerboy why are you picking at everyone and starting trouble? WB is clearly a place of love, peace, commonality, and hugs. : )

No hugs please I have a touching phobia.:)

kayak karl
07-10-2012, 21:35
what, you expected it to break into a chorus of "Kumbaya"

Rasty
07-10-2012, 21:37
what, you expected it to break into a chorus of "Kumbaya"

No just a little less Rodney King. :)

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 21:42
Nope , just a fella looking for some information, and got tired of getting kicked in the nutsHe wasn't an ******* he was a good dude, and would have been an asset. Can we all get along?....not looking to good for the home team.

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 21:44
Hikerboy why are you picking at everyone and starting trouble? WB is clearly a place of love, peace, commonality, and hugs. : )Yeah, ok star shine, the earth say's hello.:sun

jakedatc
07-10-2012, 21:47
No hugs please I have a touching phobia.:)

*poke* :cool:

hikerboy57
07-10-2012, 21:48
if you're going to ignore people you don't have to make it a public spectacle. I went hiking today I ig nord all of you.no pms no "freinding"just me and the woods.harriman is bone dry
.saw the darkest timber rattler I've ever seen.black with gold outlined diamondssmothered off into the grass before i could get a picture.

jakedatc
07-10-2012, 21:49
He wasn't an ******* he was a good dude, and would have been an asset. Can we all get along?....not looking to good for the home team.

are you responding to yourself? that's not fair to agree with yourself for more support ;)

Rasty
07-10-2012, 21:55
He wasn't an ******* he was a good dude, and would have been an asset. Can we all get along?....not looking to good for the home team.

are you responding to yourself? that's not fair to agree with yourself for more support ;)

He's getting along with himself. Better than when rocket is arguing with himself. :p

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 22:03
He's getting along with himself. Better than when rocket is arguing with himself. :pI also dance with myself.

hikerboy57
07-10-2012, 22:04
tried out my new poles today.nevrr used poles but i figured id want them for the streams next month in maine. Glad i did. I am officially a convert.
21 days and counting.

jakedatc
07-10-2012, 22:06
tried out my new poles today.nevrr used poles but i figured id want them for the streams next month in maine. Glad i did. I am officially a convert.
21 days and counting.

good stuff.. i love mine.

made my freezer bag cozie today. 2 weeks till LT

Sarcasm the elf
07-10-2012, 22:07
...I went hiking today...just me and the woods.harriman is bone dry
.saw the darkest timber rattler I've ever seen.black with gold outlined diamondssmothered off into the grass before i could get a picture.

Wait a minute, one of us actually went hiking?? Now I'm jealous :D

Is Harriman seriously bone dry? I haven't been on the A.T. in a month, but my local trails in CT still have decent water flow, I wouldn't have thought that the A.T. was that bad off right now.

Sarcasm the elf
07-10-2012, 22:09
21 days and counting.

Glad to hear it, I made fun of hiking poles up until the first time I used them, now they're one of the best pieces of gear that I own.

hikerboy57
07-10-2012, 22:16
I was in the southern part.streams are down to a trickle and the lakes are down almost 2ft.

atmilkman
07-10-2012, 22:20
I also dance with myself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=812HHetzbe4

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 22:22
21 days and counting.Cool, glad you had a good day out on the trail, with more to come.

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 22:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=812HHetzbe4Yep, that was back when I use to smoke iguana.

Alligator
07-10-2012, 23:08
Sorry the grumpy people keep hijacking, cleaned up.

thecyclops
07-10-2012, 23:16
Yep, that was back when I use to smoke iguana.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hMRCWAx_24U/TlgIVtPDpsI/AAAAAAAAMrg/y9GEJzwbT7g/s640/awesome_classic_movie_gifs_22.gif

Rasty
07-11-2012, 00:06

Why do I always have the uncontrollable impulse to look if I was deleted.:D

verasch
07-11-2012, 00:18

There's a book called, 'House of Leaves', which I'm certain is written by a schizophrenic (but I think is actually written by P.J Harvey's brother). You can read the book twice, once for the main text. And the second time to follow all the footnotes; which are essentially a totally new book.

After following this post all day, seeing it hacked in half and rereading it was essentially the same thing. So awesome.

Canyonero
07-11-2012, 00:26
Well now I'm a little bummed I couldn't follow all day and only got the 2nd version!

Creek Dancer
07-11-2012, 06:22
What? This is the abridged version? geez

I have known LW for many years having met him at SoRuck, Trail Days and he shuttled me a few times. I found him to be a good man who is trustworthy and who stands his ground.

I believe some people here need to learn not to take things so seriously. This is the internet, after all.

Sailing_Faith
07-11-2012, 09:22
....I believe some people here need to learn not to take things so seriously. This is the internet, after all.

I am deeply offended at your insensitivity! I am going to go and sit outside in the dirt and eat worms!

To pretend that the internet is not real life.... perish the thought!

Rasty
07-11-2012, 09:29
....I believe some people here need to learn not to take things so seriously. This is the internet, after all.

I am deeply offended at your insensitivity! I am going to go and sit outside in the dirt and eat worms!

To pretend that the internet is not real life.... perish the thought!

From the worms point of view that is extremely insensitive. :)

weary
07-11-2012, 09:45
He goes off the deep end occasionally, but Lone Wolf has been among the wisest half dozen or so posters during my years on White Blaze. His mind does work in subtle ways that not all, apparently, can appreciate.

T.S.Kobzol
07-11-2012, 09:52
I treat condensation with a mini sponge

How dare they mistake condescension for sarcasm and meanness!

Creek Dancer
07-11-2012, 09:53
From the worms point of view that is extremely insensitive. :)

You guys crack me up. :)

hikerboy57
07-11-2012, 09:59
so i guess were all playing nice again?group hug? Kumbaya?

coach lou
07-11-2012, 10:02

HB, I felt bad yesterday knowing you were missing all the fun................good thing I didn't text you, you may have gotten bitten by that rattler!

Rasty
07-11-2012, 10:04

Still have the touching phobia, so I will respectfully decline the group hug. Just the thought send shivers down my spine. :eek:

Creek Dancer
07-11-2012, 10:23
Yeah, I dunno about the group hug thing either. Backpackers can work up a helluva funk. :)

hikerboy57
07-11-2012, 10:27
Alright
Fist bump.

coach lou
07-11-2012, 10:31
Yeah, I dunno about the group hug thing either. Backpackers can work up a helluva funk. :)

We walked by the prettyest young lady, two weeks ago. She was sponge bathing in the creek, I could smell her from 100yrds, I guess she couldn't take it one more step.:p

Creek Dancer
07-11-2012, 10:43
We walked by the prettyest young lady, two weeks ago. She was sponge bathing in the creek, I could smell her from 100yrds, I guess she couldn't take it one more step.:p

haha...that could have been me! Except, I am not young.

Marta
07-11-2012, 10:46
How does it go?

I like everybody, except intolerant people, and the Dutch?

CowHead
07-11-2012, 10:51
We should be like this guy
Hiker awaiting help for broken leg ends up rescuing his rescuer
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/10/12660504-hiker-awaiting-help-for-broken-leg-ends-up-rescuing-his-rescuer?lite

Blue Jay
07-11-2012, 11:47
#1. some need to get a thicker skin. #2. some need to stop typing and read. #3. some need to take a hike.

the site is just white noise anymore. people posting on threads where they have no business posting, being followed by their their clique.

a lot of members i have met. at functions and on the trail. even if i don't agree with them, i respect them :)

if i have offended anyone. go back to #1

Bingo, most of the multis and LD hikers left because the site became boring. I used to love arguing with Max and other real hikers while all the time agreeing with them 98% of the time. Experienced hikers can only take gear lists and treking pole advertizements for so long. Most get bored and drift away. Even if it was allowed most arguments now have nothing what so ever to do with hiking at all. I always felt discussions especially heated ones (so called aguments) were the purpose for cyberhiking as NO ONE argues on the trail, never heard one in 14 years.

Cookerhiker
07-11-2012, 11:53
How does it go?

I like everybody, except intolerant people, and the Dutch?

Sounds like these lyrics from the Chad Mitchell Trio song:

"...The whole world is festering with unhappy souls,
The French hate the Germans and the Germans hate the Poles,
Italians hate Yugoslavs, South Africans hate the Dutch,
And I don't like anybody very much!"

rocketsocks
07-11-2012, 14:08
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hMRCWAx_24U/TlgIVtPDpsI/AAAAAAAAMrg/y9GEJzwbT7g/s640/awesome_classic_movie_gifs_22.gifoh yes, yes in deedy yaaaaaa

coach lou
07-11-2012, 14:13
oh yes, yes in deedy yaaaaaa

I just watched this movie Sunday after I did the lawn. The scenery is wonderful.....makes me want to get a bike again!

Drybones
07-11-2012, 15:10
This is my first time on this site since hitting the trail in March. Just want to thank all who made contributions to this post for the laughs. As with everywhere, you're going to find an a$$ hole now and then and you're going to find some really neat people also, the combination of the two has made for entertaining reading. I've had several good laughs from the posts to this thread... and I've been accused of not having a sense of humor. Thanks to all!

Rasty
07-11-2012, 15:30
This is my first time on this site since hitting the trail in March. Just want to thank all who made contributions to this post for the laughs. As with everywhere, you're going to find an a$$ hole now and then and you're going to find some really neat people also, the combination of the two has made for entertaining reading. I've had several good laughs from the posts to this thread... and I've been accused of not having a sense of humor. Thanks to all!

Would amusing a thru hiker be considered cyber-trail-magic? Less fattening than another trail feed.:)

coach lou
07-11-2012, 15:44
Would amusing a thru hiker be considered cyber-trail-magic? Less fattening than another trail feed.:)

Robert, I'm glad, in this heat some of us can keep smileing.......................It makes the world go round.

rocketsocks
07-11-2012, 15:52
I just watched this movie Sunday after I did the lawn. The scenery is wonderful.....makes me want to get a bike again!I had a honda 350 CB once, with ape hangers, what a piece of crap that was. Think I paid about $125 back in 81', but yeah I nice bike would be a good way to tour the country, nothin but the back roads. My brother in-law just sold a 41' harley last year, it was a cool bike.

hikerboy57
07-11-2012, 17:13
i have officially de-"friended" my WB "friends."
this is what happens when you go hiking, you again realize whats important and whats not. the past few weeks of drama have included various offers from wbers to "friend"me and i accepted some, invited others. it wasnt until yesterday that i finally realized"whats up wit dat?"i cant stand this stuff. its just more ego.
dont take it personally guys- i consider all here friends(well most,anyway), i just dont need to accumulate as many "friends" as i have posts.
:confused:

Rasty
07-11-2012, 17:18
this is what happens when you go hiking, you again realize whats important and whats not. the past few weeks of drama have included various offers from wbers to "friend"me and i accepted some, invited others. it wasnt until yesterday that i finally realized"whats up wit dat?"i cant stand this stuff. its just more ego.
dont take it personally guys- i consider all here friends(well most,anyway), i just dont need to accumulate as many "friends" as i have posts.

Sarcasm is now your only friend! Is there a hidden meaning to it all?:confused:

hikerboy57
07-11-2012, 17:21
Whoops
be right back."
I do enjoy irony,though

Spoppy
07-11-2012, 17:27
Now that is funny!

hikerboy57
07-11-2012, 17:27
i still hold sarcasm dear to my heart(irony,too), but the elf is now a contact and friend, just not a "friend".

rocketsocks
07-11-2012, 17:54
this is what happens when you go hiking, you again realize whats important and whats not. the past few weeks of drama have included various offers from wbers to "friend"me and i accepted some, invited others. it wasn't until yesterday that i finally realized"whats up wit dat?"i cant stand this stuff. its just more ego.
:confused:Now can I still list you as a friend, or do I have to remove it.

PS I really didn't need any help being confused, hehehe

hikerboy57
07-11-2012, 18:02
Now can I still list you as a friend, or do I have to remove it
you can list me twice! ive spent the past 15 years unaccumulating things( my ex helped with that in the divorce)
just cleaning out the closet.simplicity is elegance.
i was thinking of putting everyone on my ignore list, but figured it would get boring in a hurry. i know all of my stories already.

rocketsocks
07-11-2012, 18:09
you can list me twice! ive spent the past 15 years unaccumulating things( my ex helped with that in the divorce)
just cleaning out the closet.simplicity is elegance.
i was thinking of putting everyone on my ignore list, but figured it would get boring in a hurry. i know all of my stories already.Oh I don't know.I talk to myself all the time, some conversations are pretty good.

PS I friended you but please disregard if it comes through on your end, that was not my intent.

Bootbanger
07-11-2012, 18:12
Hey, I agree with all you said. I am basically new to this site. I mainly come on here to get information on the AT and how other thru-hikers have endured things (good and bad). There is always people out there whether here or other places that will try to bitch about anything. I mainly read what I feel is beneficial to my learning. I hope that others can see the site as someplace to go for valued information such as finding the right kind of gear, places to top of my water jugs, where to watch out for dangerous things, etc...

we argue about every conceivable possibility of trail life, but at the end of the day, we're all passionate about our lives, both off and on the trail and thats good.but for some reason, sometimes things here get a little out of hand and some people take some criticism as if it were meant for them personally, when it isnt, and it leads to some bad blood.
keep in mind, folks, we come on line to both offer and get advice, and very few days go by that i dont learn something new here.but personal attakcs have become a bit more common of late, and i dont know whether its the heat or not, but it doesnt have to be. ive never had issues with people ive met on the trail, but it seems like we all have issues here and have forgotten the meaning of the overused term HYOH.
i like joking around , and sometimes its just a diversion from work.
so the answer to why i hike(another thread) for me is simple.
on the trail, i dont have to deal with a lot of the BS i read here.
and i cant wait to be away from this for a month(im sure some of you cant wait eithr.)
but cant we just all get along?

rocketsocks
07-11-2012, 18:41
:confused:I have offically de-friended all my White Blaze friends, those of you who were my friends are still my friends, just no longer my friends, cause the whole thing is kinda silly.:-? And instead have decided to make my friends list a I don't like you list. Don't make the list.....please:D

upon waking I have decided this is silly,and I like silly, I'm a silly guy, so your all back in, if you'll have me, can't promiss, I wont continue to be silly, as I know no other way. If you are in need of serious thread reading, there's plenty of that here, but not usalayy under the name rocketsocks,if you need direction to some good serious reading, just ask, and I'll tell you where to go.:)

Wise Old Owl
07-11-2012, 18:43

To be honest _ I respect your decision, but find it a little petty, at the end of the day the camaraderie with friends is so important.... even for a brief moment. IF your divorce is causing so much angst, I understand. This must be a difficult time... but in the above post. This signature is appropriate.

You only have one life; live it wisely.

Rasty
07-11-2012, 18:44
I come to whiteblaze for good information and to learn about new possibilities for hikes. Having a little fun is a good thing. Only so many "which hiking poles should I purchase" threads a human can take. LW no need to send you standard reply, I will help you out.

LW - "You don't need no stinking poles!"

Work hard. Play hard. Laugh as much as possible.

hikerboy57
07-11-2012, 18:59
To be honest _ I respect your decision, but find it a little petty, at the end of the day the camaraderie with friends is so important.... even for a brief moment. IF your divorce is causing so much angst, I understand. This must be a difficult time... but in the above post. This signature is appropriate.

You only have one life; live it wisely.i think the friends thing excludes some, includes others. i want everyone included.
(the divorce reference is a joke. shes happily remarried for some time, and our relationship is fine.the things she liberated from mewere just things, things i found i cn live without.)

coach lou
07-11-2012, 19:48
I've done it 3 times.........Marriage is a wonderful institution...................if you like being institutionalized!:D......:eek:............:datz.. ...........:)

Wise Old Owl
07-11-2012, 19:58
When you get married - confiscate this book from the boxes as she moves in....

coach lou
07-11-2012, 20:08
WOO, This will be the last time, Sherrie is actually a girl I knew 30 yrs ago, she keeps reminding me that it's....'till death do us part!":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Wise Old Owl
07-11-2012, 21:04
WOO, This will be the last time, Sherrie is actually a girl I knew 30 yrs ago, she keeps reminding me that it's....'till death do us part!":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

http://www.tybinc.com/avactis-images/beetlejuice_cake_topper_lg.jpgBeetleJuice....Bee.. ..

thecyclops
07-11-2012, 21:20
I hate all you guys,really.

thecyclops
07-11-2012, 21:24
and may each and everyone here get......
http://zrdavis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/lyme-disease-on-the-appalachian-trail1.png

Rasty
07-11-2012, 21:36
I hate all you guys,really.

Back to normal. Love fest is over.:cool:

kayak karl
07-11-2012, 22:02
NORMAL, that would be talking about hiking on a hiking site? don't see it.
and the love, sometimes I need what only yous can provide: your absence.:D

Wise Old Owl
07-11-2012, 22:26
Ahh no regrets... nice one KK.

rocketsocks
07-11-2012, 22:31

Capt Nat
07-12-2012, 08:41
There are a lot of resources for info on hiking and the trails. I don't know why anyone would come here for info. Folks here have never agreed on anything including whether rain is wet or not. If someone asked if it was dark at night, there would be at least 3 dissenting opinions. I come here to laugh and enjoy both the spats and friendship. Yall just keep doing what you've been doing. This is all just for my entertainment anyway!

coach lou
07-12-2012, 08:51
There are a lot of resources for info on hiking and the trails. I don't know why anyone would come here for info. Folks here have never agreed on anything including whether rain is wet or not. If someone asked if it was dark at night, there would be at least 3 dissenting opinions. I come here to laugh and enjoy both the spats and friendship. Yall just keep doing what you've been doing. This is all just for my entertainment anyway!

Skipper, you are preaching to the choir!

Sailing_Faith
07-12-2012, 09:02

I think there is some agreement in some important areas... the problem is that is not where most of the threads are going to be focused.

A few days ago sitting atop Hogs back Mt. here in the UP, or a few weeks ago sitting up on Buzzard Rocks in VA.... no conversations about what kind of hiking poles to carry (or not) and no arguments... just folks who had walked up there. Some day, some section, and in VA, some through hikers...

I bet pretty much anyone here would have been right at home there... and thinking so (it seems to me) makes this a pretty cool place to hang out.*

*No reference to hammock sleeping in intended or implied in the post. ;)

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2012, 09:03

Here we chase the White Rabbit....cus its Wabbit Season...

http://lssacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/think.png

hikerboy57
07-12-2012, 09:05
i could swear it was duck season?

OzJacko
07-12-2012, 09:40
I'm just hoping everyone can stay friends long enough to have a drink with me somewhere on the AT in 2013.
I won't be able to bring many mates from home along with me!
:-)

coach lou
07-12-2012, 09:51
I'm just hoping everyone can stay friends long enough to have a drink with me somewhere on the AT in 2013.

No sweat, even if you walk and eat with sticks!

kayak karl
07-12-2012, 09:57
different on the trail. groups seem to form easily. some by age, some by gender, some i never figured out.
as far as WB some won't make it from springer to neel, but then others don't make it from the computer chair to springer.
have fun. i have a offer to go to the Phillipines. would be great to go to another country to hike. :)

rocketsocks
07-12-2012, 12:07
i could swear it was duck season?Technically it's "duck season" every day here at white blaze, incoming....Duck!

Tenderheart
07-12-2012, 12:08

My sentiments exactly!!!! Folks on here are too busy arguing about whose pot is the blackest to be of any help to anyone.

rocketsocks
07-12-2012, 12:32
There are a lot of resources for info on hiking and the trails. I don't know why anyone would come here for info. Folks here have never agreed on anything including whether rain is wet or not. If someone asked if it was dark at night, there would be at least 3 dissenting opinions. I come here to laugh and enjoy both the spats and friendship. Yall just keep doing what you've been doing. This is all just for my entertainment anyway!Totaly agree!:)

My sentiments exactly!!!! Folks on here are too busy arguing about whose pot is the blackest to be of any help to anyone.Totaly disagree!:D

atmilkman
07-12-2012, 12:58
Here we chase the White Rabbit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWWsfrfq69A

Ladytrekker
07-12-2012, 12:59
My 2 cents as an avid reader of WB I personally love to follow the thrus comments I am looking for the wisdom of those who have done it. I have only hiked about 30 miles of the AT and about 300 miles of the FT. I have considerable knowledge of trails in Florida and gear, cause as a user of both and honestly tested more gear than I should have trying to get my right fit. But for me WB is all about the experiences of the long distance hikers and I have grasped so much information from this site and have used many of the suggestions and have passed much of what I have read to others I hike with. Some of the old timers (I mean age and hikers) are grumdeons but that makes them even more loveable. I look for threads from the seasoned ones so please don't bail I am always wanting to learn more.

rocketsocks
07-12-2012, 13:11
Here we chase the White Rabbit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWWsfrfq69AWow,flashback, go with it....go with it.......nice! and totaly legal too. thanks milkman

sailsET
07-12-2012, 18:56
Technically it's "duck season" every day here at white blaze, incoming....Duck!
Excellent!!

Sarcasm the elf
07-12-2012, 21:18

NOW WHAT THE HECK IS GOING IN HERE???

I don't post to the site for 48 hours and in that time: I am defriended by two different people (who both say that it's not me, it's them...), Lone Wolf gets banned?, WIApilot goes radio silent, Coffee Rules leaves the site after leaving a final angry rant, another member PM's me to tell me that he's done using the site, we still don't have a consensus on how long cheese lasts on the trail, and worst of all I get a PM inviting me to go on an awesome sounding hike on a day that I'm already busy!

THIS PLACE IS CRAZY I TELL YA!:banana:banana:banana

(On the bright side, the mystery problem with my IPad wwent away, so I can use dancing bananas again!)

atmilkman
07-12-2012, 21:27
NOW WHAT THE HECK IS GOING IN HERE???

I don't post to the site for 48 hours and in that time: I am defriended by two different people (who both say that it's not me, it's them...), Lone Wolf gets banned?, WIApilot goes radio silent, Coffee Rules leaves the site after leaving a final angry rant, another member PM's me to tell me that he's done using the site, we still don't have a consensus on how long cheese lasts on the trail, and worst of all I get a PM inviting me to go on an awesome sounding hike on a day that I'm already busy!

THIS PLACE IS CRAZY I TELL YA!:banana:banana:banana

(On the bright side, the mystery problem with my IPad wwent away, so I can use dancing bananas again!)
That'll teach you to leave the confines of "THE BLAZE" and by the way you can check out any time you want but "YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE"

Sarcasm the elf
07-12-2012, 21:34
?.. and by the way you can check out any time you want but "YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE"

Well that would explain why I haven't been able to find my favorite wine in years....

Such a lovely place...such a lovely place.

hikerboy57
07-12-2012, 21:36
Sorry elf.i was bored.

Wise Old Owl
07-12-2012, 21:39
Oh sarcasm is back
Welcome you did.t miss much - a banning, a rant, a spoiler, did I forget something oh... The Title.

http://www.dayscafe.com/2002-DOOL.jpg

Sarcasm the elf
07-12-2012, 21:51
Oh sarcasm is back
Welcome you did.t miss much - a banning, a rant, a spoiler, did I forget something oh... The Title.

"Days of our Lives Wasted on the Internet" ??

"As The Trail Turns" ??

:D

Sarcasm the elf
07-12-2012, 21:56
Sorry elf.i was bored.

No worries, I actually agree with your reasoning. I had given some thought a while back to only friending people I've actually met, but if I did that Coach Lou would be my only friend right now...I've gotta go hike more this year...

One of your previous posts got me thinking, each member's page lists their friends, and lists the number of visitors they've had. I think it would be amusing if it also listed the number of people that currently have them on ignore :D Then again, I'd probably be terrified to see how that number applies to me. :eek:

hikerboy57
07-12-2012, 21:58
Well the balance has been restored.lw is back."

Driver8
07-12-2012, 22:37

So you've got that going for you, which is nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x-nQ-vPw5k

Glad I steered clear of this thread. Had a bad feeling about it from first sight.

rocketsocks
07-12-2012, 22:39
That'll teach you to leave the confines of "THE BLAZE" and by the way you can check out any time you want but "YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE"Elf, your back. Sorry for breaking up with you over the phone, I'll never do it again, please give me one more chance. Oh, also I cheated on you while you were gone and picked up a few more friends, I never thought I was a "Friend HO" but I just can't run from it any longer....A friend.

Sorry mikman, this personal letter was meant for Elf, your already a friend, hehehe

rocketsocks
07-12-2012, 22:42
So you've got that going for you, which is nice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x-nQ-vPw5k

Glad I steered clear of this thread. Had a bad feeling about it from first sight.And you didn't say anything...some friend:D

rocketsocks
07-12-2012, 22:48
No worries, I actually agree with your reasoning. I had given some thought a while back to only friending people I've actually met, but if I did that Coach Lou would be my only friend right now...I've gotta go hike more this year...

One of your previous posts got me thinking, each member's page lists their friends, and lists the number of visitors they've had. I think it would be amusing if it also listed the number of people that currently have them on ignore :D Then again, I'd probably be terrified to see how that number applies to me. :eek:How does one actually know if your on ignore, I mean if I knew I was on ignore then I wouldn't keep sending the hate mail I have, is it just not being delivered?

Driver8
07-13-2012, 01:24
Well the balance has been restored.lw is back."

I sensed a great disturbance in the Force. :cool:

Hellush
07-13-2012, 02:21
LMAO "Friend Ho."

Btw, this is the second time this week someone called me star shine.

Freaky-deaky since I have never once been accused of being happy.

rocketsocks
07-13-2012, 04:51
LMAO "Friend Ho."

Btw, this is the second time this week someone called me star shine.

Freaky-deaky since I have never once been accused of being happy.
Holy De ja vu, Freaky-deaky indeed, Perhaps it's a sign.....Starshine LOL. happy Friday:sun

moytoy
07-13-2012, 05:17
Just like this thead my post here is pointless but it reminds me of pushing a peanut around the courthouse sidewalk with my nose. Just sayin! :eek:

hikerboy57
07-13-2012, 05:23
Did you mean "thread "or "head"?

rocketsocks
07-13-2012, 05:26
Just like this thead my post here is pointless but it reminds me of pushing a peanut around the courthouse sidewalk with my nose. Just sayin! Oh yeah, try pushing spagetti across the floor, much easier to pull.:eek:oops, seems I've absconded your EEK.

moytoy
07-13-2012, 05:26
either........your pick

coach lou
07-13-2012, 05:30
I sensed a great disturbance in the Force. :cool:

See Driver:welcome......resistance is futile

hikerboy57
07-13-2012, 05:30
better than reading the morning paper

hikerboy57
07-13-2012, 05:32
apparently cyber hikers wake just as early as on the trail.

OzJacko
07-13-2012, 05:34
My wife watches the Bold and the Beautiful.
I read WhiteBlaze.
:-D

coach lou
07-13-2012, 05:34
Now this is scarey.........we are all up at this hour joking around.................sniff..sniff.........I love you guys! WOO are you up yet?!

rocketsocks
07-13-2012, 05:40
Now this is scarey.........we are all up at this hour joking around.................sniff..sniff.........I love you guys! WOO are you up yet?!Ya know what that means, Friday late night shananagans...Yip Yip yippy

moytoy
07-13-2012, 05:43
Whats funny is the ages of all posters at 5AM...I'm here to tell you it only get worse. I know of what I speak!

hikerboy57
07-13-2012, 05:45
can anyone recommend a good cheese for a month?im finishing my food list.

rocketsocks
07-13-2012, 05:46
Whats funny is the ages of all posters at 5AM...I'm here to tell you it only get worse. I know of what I speak!What a cruel joke life has played.

rocketsocks
07-13-2012, 05:48
can anyone recommend a good cheese for a month?im finishing my food list.Depends what you mean by good, do you want it to have "trail life", or just clear a shelter for late arrival times.

moytoy
07-13-2012, 05:49
...off of here and to the Gym I go..

coach lou
07-13-2012, 05:49
Whats funny is the ages of all posters at 5AM...I'm here to tell you it only get worse. I know of what I speak!

Yes I had made that observation! We know.........there is little time left, gotta get them laughs in now:bseAre you a Northeast transplant...........you seem to have that sense of humor:rolleyes:..... but so does rstrakis!..........and Jacko.

hikerboy57
07-13-2012, 05:51
Ya know what that means, Friday late night shananagans...Yip Yip yippy

fireworks tonight on the beach.

rocketsocks
07-13-2012, 05:53
...off of here and to the Gym I go..Show off, I'm going back to bed, good day!

coach lou
07-13-2012, 05:55
Wait, Perth isn't in the northeast......let me get my GPS......................NOT!

I gotta go to work...........................HB, talk to you later!

rocketsocks
07-13-2012, 05:56
Cool, maybe will get through a Friday night here without them for a change, Boom Boom....Boom

rocketsocks
07-13-2012, 05:58
Wait, Perth isn't in the northeast......let me get my GPS......................NOT!

I gotta go to work...........................HB, talk to you later!Do like all the yougins, quit and go thru-hiking.:eek:

coach lou
07-13-2012, 07:35
Do like all the yougins, quit and go thru-hiking.:eek:

Socks, I grew up different. I pay my own way. So I'll be in Category 4, and have to wait 'till I retire.....but I know of only the Wheelchair accessible section in Falls Village, Ct.:D

kayak karl
07-13-2012, 07:41
http://obamadiary.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1.jpg?w=655

coach lou
07-13-2012, 07:53
http://obamadiary.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1.jpg?w=655

KK, your fitting that profile, I knew it all along:welcome

hikerboy57
07-13-2012, 07:59
18 days to maine.you guys are gonna have to put up with me a just a little longer.then its radio silence for a month.
something for all of us too look forward to.:)

coach lou
07-13-2012, 08:23
18 days to maine.you guys are gonna have to put up with me a just a little longer.then its radio silence for a month.
something for all of us too look forward to.:)

Then I'll only get to discuss Sticks with The Wolf and Bear Bells with Tdoczi:datz

tdoczi
07-13-2012, 08:34
Then I'll only get to discuss Sticks with The Wolf and Bear Bells with Tdoczi:datz

i'm telling you, they don't do anything.

rocketsocks
07-13-2012, 09:34
Socks, I grew up different. I pay my own way. So I'll be in Category 4, and have to wait 'till I retire.....but I know of only the Wheelchair accessible section in Falls Village, Ct.:DYep, I'm in Catagory #4 too, but I'll freakin crawl to Katadin if I have to, but no one's tried that yet, and I'll do it in less hours than posts I'll have when I attempt it.:D

Marta
07-13-2012, 09:44
Yep, I'm in Catagory #4 too, but I'll freakin crawl to Katadin if I have to, but no one's tried that yet, and I'll do it in less hours than posts I'll have when I attempt it.:D

That was one of my mottos: I'll finish if I have to crawl.

Crawling wasn't necessary very often. Limping, however....

My other motto was: Age and guile trumps youth and strength.

rocketsocks
07-13-2012, 10:09
That was one of my mottos: I'll finish if I have to crawl.

Crawling wasn't necessary very often. Limping, however....

My other motto was: Age and guile trumps youth and strength.Heck yeah, I guess many do many things out of pure Tenacity, doesn't matter why, or what it is, there just going....period. LOL I like your mantra.

Driver8
07-13-2012, 12:48
See Driver:welcome......resistance is futile

I can quit anytime I want to, Coach, I swear!

Driver8
07-13-2012, 12:53

That's what she said. ... I swear, I can quit this anytime. ... Really. ...

coach lou
07-13-2012, 13:56
That's what she said. ... I swear, I can quit this anytime. ... Really. ...

Driver... you havin' fun yet?

moytoy
07-14-2012, 01:36
Yes I had made that observation! We know.........there is little time left, gotta get them laughs in now:bseAre you a Northeast transplant...........you seem to have that sense of humor:rolleyes:..... but so does rstrakis!..........and Jacko.

bump bump..I once spent the night on 42nd st in NY does that count as being from the NE? I was raised in Maryville, Tn. (Marville). Lived all over. A wandering hillbilly I guess you could say.:)

Iceaxe
07-14-2012, 02:37
It is time to let Lone Wolf back in to defend himself.
He probably don't really care at this point, but it is becomming rude on our part to talk, in jest and sideways about him, without his ability to to respond.. don't you think?
RESTORE LONE WOLF... PLEASE.

coach lou
07-14-2012, 05:18
He probably don't really care at this point, but it is becomming rude on our part to talk, in jest and sideways about him, without his ability to to respond.. don't you think?

My vote goes for the old Jarhead!..............but, he was on last nite I believe!

Lone Wolf
07-14-2012, 06:27

i haven't gone anywhere. i'm on moderated status for a few weeks. no need to defend myself. y'all play nice

Driver8
07-15-2012, 06:05
Big, hot hike by Coach Lou and yours truly yesterday. Car 1 at Jug End Road crossing, up in the humid, slick aftermath of a rainy overnight to Everett, with quick stops at Hemlocks Shelter and Guilder Pond. Over Everett (a little breezy, thank goodness on an increasingly hot, lingeringly humid day), with a snack break at the top - Coach was hungry, I wasn't, but it was nice to rest for a few in the shade of some scrub), down into the saddle - no hint of water in the upper reaches of Race Brook along the trail on descending - and up Race.

Ran into another middle-aged Connecticut man lost in the wilderness, John, at the summit and he became our third. Took him to see the cliffs, which he hadn't known about. Didn't tarry there, as he needed to get back home at a certain time, and, frankly, it was hot and miserable. I mean, the summit of Race, so exposed as it is, at 3 pm, was just blisteringly hot. Easily over 90. And so dry that many of the trees there are in danger of dying, and the blueberry bushes are just toasty. Nothing but dried little beads of would-be berry on the bushes. I just hope the bushes survive this year for next. Sad, disappointing for me - I love the berries and had such fun with them on my first trips in the Taconics two summers ago. The local views were amazing to the other Taconics, and the faint, light blue Catskills were neat to see, with some distant Gunks to the southeast. No view of Greylock, however. Probably 40 mile views in that direction, maybe 45. Just not quite enough to see the Chief.

Back down Race to Race Brook Falls Trail, which was misnamed today. No water at all in the brook to a little downstream of the campsite, no running water until maybe 0.3 east of it. A mere trickle, at that. It was scarily dry. Like west Arkansas in August, not at all like Mass in July, not even August. I've never seen it so dry out there. We made our way down the main trail, not bothering with the brookside option since there was nothing to be seen with the falls. The upper big falls at the trail crossing were running but faintly, mostly hiding behind the rock shelf that always obscures part of them. I dared to drink from the most flowing of the pools - hope I don't catch anything - and Lou and John smartly didn't. I brought 164 oz of water and Powerade, drank an additional 24 oz of trail magic water from the Guilder Pond parking lot (THANKS, trail angels) and ran out of water at Race summit. Lou had brought two gallons, maybe more, and didn't need as much as me, so generously gave me about 24 oz halfway down Race. That got me down the mountain, with the 24 oz or so I drank at the brook, with about 16 oz to spare. Thanks a bunch, Lou!

Lou is fun to hike with. Very smart, lots to talk about, smart and good humored with lots of life experience to share. By the last mile and a half or so, he and I, and John, were talked out, so hot and dry was it. Our talk on the way down, such little as it was, was mostly about how damned dry it was and how little water there was in the brook. We passed and visited with 7 thru-hikers on the way, Pancho, Great Dane and Butcher at Jug End trailhead, Oak at the top of Jug End, Hill Hopper and another guy on the shoulder of Race (remember his name, Lou?), and another one somewhere in there. Passed about 25 day, weekend or short trip hikers and no sectioners.

For Lou, who's training to do a tough Maine section with HB57 next month, and for me, losing weight and working on fitness, plus making another trip to the Whites and western Maine next weekend, it was a good, very tough training hike - about 11 miles, including side trips, and about 3000' elevation gained and lost, including ups and downs along Jug End and the shoulder of Mt. Undine and the trip down to the Race cliffs and back. For me, given the high heat and humidity and dry conditions, which made the ground uncharacteristically hard, this hike was as hard, more or less, as my day going up and down Washington four weeks ago. (Jewell Trail was easier than these, the A.T. stretches on a par, and Ammo, of course, tougher.)

But for the pleasures of seeing this beautiful place at its best, I'd say to anyone who asked me, wait til there's two or three good soaking rains before heading out there. It's dry as a bone right now, and the forest is not a happy place.

rocketsocks
07-15-2012, 06:38
Very nice post Driver8, it certainly does sound like you had a great time and most definitely "all got along", as your report is aptly place.

Driver8
07-15-2012, 06:59
Thanks, Rocket. It was fun, but hard. Nicer when the brook is flowing strong and there's lots of falls to see. I made one mistake, at least - the Gunks are to the southwest from where we hiked, not the southeast.

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 07:20
Nice pics driver8!looks like you had a good day. Harriman was bone dry last week too.

rocketsocks
07-15-2012, 07:20
Thanks, Rocket. It was fun, but hard. Nicer when the brook is flowing strong and there's lots of falls to see. I made one mistake, at least - the Gunks are to the southwest from where we hiked, not the southeast.Funny you mention that as I am not familiar with the area where you were, but was trying to visualize just where I thought you were, and something was telling me, hmm, the gunks are here, Mt. Grey lock is over there, so that means they must be, here...no wait, there west of? But yep, it sure was hot and humid yesterday, and I think were being served up another today just like it, I hope to take a little hike locally later today...rain or shine!

Driver8
07-15-2012, 07:27
I hope to take a little hike locally later today...rain or shine!

Have a good hike, John. I may just head to the beach today, like most of the sane people around. :)

Thanks, Hikerboy. Hope to get out with you soon. Lou's great.

coach lou
07-15-2012, 07:31
Have a good hike, John. I may just head to the beach today, like most of the sane people around. :)

Thanks, Hikerboy. Hope to get out with you soon. Lou's great.

I'm starting to blush Driver, and my X may want to debate that with you..................I have to ref 2 ICE hockey games today!!!! Air conditioned cross training!

Driver8
07-15-2012, 07:33
I'm starting to blush Driver, and my X may want to debate that with you..................

Which ex? Zing! :cool: Have a good time in the a/c today, my friend, and let's all do our best rain dance.

rocketsocks
07-15-2012, 07:36
One rain rain dance coming your way today :)

Saprogenic
07-15-2012, 10:33
Wow, what a thread. You guys are something else. The thing I find the craziest, is all of these 'outdoorsmen' who spend all their time online. Not just talking about this site, but the wave of older men who love the outdoors, and all you ever see is them talking on the computer. How about everyone get off their ass and go outside. That should calm things down.

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 10:41
Wow, what a thread. You guys are something else. The thing I find the craziest, is all of these 'outdoorsmen' who spend all their time online. Not just talking about this site, but the wave of older men who love the outdoors, and all you ever see is them talking on the computer. How about everyone get off their ass and go outside. That should calm things down.
how many hours a week do you get out and hike?
this is what we do when we're not on the trail. and most of us spend considerable time hiking, by the way.both activities help keep some perspective on sanity and whats really important.and we like too argue a bit, but its just like kids arguing about their favorite baseball teams, regardless of which team we support, we all love baseball.
and its a great place to learn about the sawyer in line water filter!

10-K
07-15-2012, 10:47
its a great place to learn about the sawyer in line water filter!

A Sawyer in-line water filter and a hammock is all you need.

and some sea salt because regular salt sucks. (unless it is kosher Celtic salt.. )

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 10:48
still havent found the perfect cheese:mad:

Marta
07-15-2012, 10:58

Amusing that this follows hard on the heels on the hike report in post #190, and related banter.

Driver8
07-15-2012, 11:01
Amusing that this follows hard on the heels on the hike report in post #190, and related banter.

Yeah, maybe Soporific, whatisname, didn't make it all the way to the end. :D

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 11:02
what are we supposed todo, golf?

Marta
07-15-2012, 11:10
Okay, gang, I'm putting on my moderator hat. Personal attacks on other members are not permitted, no matter what the provocation.

coach lou
07-15-2012, 11:14

By Caratunk you'll have Fomunda Cheese.

Marta
07-15-2012, 11:15
And now I'm off for a hike. Yesterday the mosquitoes like to carry me away. Hopefully there will be a bit of a breeze today.

Y'all behave!

10-K
07-15-2012, 11:15

You could be polishing your............ SAWYER IN-LINE WATER FILTER.

coach lou
07-15-2012, 11:19
And now I'm off for a hike. Yesterday the mosquitoes like to carry me away. Hopefully there will be a bit of a breeze today.

Y'all behave!

I've often referred to Montana skeeters as a terradactyl variety. Watch out for those cute little Horribilis

Driver8
07-15-2012, 11:19
You could be polishing your............ SAWYER IN-LINE WATER FILTER.

Or your McAfee Knob ... photos. ...

Saprogenic
07-15-2012, 11:25
Your right, it seemed to get redundant by page 3 and stopped reading. Wasn't making a negative statement, but you've got to admit it's a bit wierd, seeing so many who love the outdoors, spending so many hours everyday chatting online. Every now and then I'll check this site out to see if there's any new useful info, but it's reads more like a chat room full of bickering. You do as you please, I could care less, just crazy times I guess.

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 11:33
Your right, it seemed to get redundant by page 3 and stopped reading. Wasn't making a negative statement, but you've got to admit it's a bit wierd, seeing so many who love the outdoors, spending so many hours everyday chatting online. Every now and then I'll check this site out to see if there's any new useful info, but it's reads more like a chat room full of bickering. You do as you please, I could care less, just crazy times I guess.

thank you for your contribution. gives us something to discuss for a while.im sure you posted this from your hammock in the backcountry, polishing your sawyer in line water filter.

rocketsocks
07-15-2012, 11:34
Wow, what a thread. You guys are something else. The thing I find the craziest, is all of these 'outdoorsmen' who spend all their time online. Not just talking about this site, but the wave of older men who love the outdoors, and all you ever see is them talking on the computer. How about everyone get off their ass and go outside. That should calm things down.There's that angry thing again, dude you and I should go take a walk some time, we live in the same state, PM me sometime, I know we didn't hit it off so well last time we spoke, but I'm willing to work on that, what say you?

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 11:36
if you stopped after page 3 you missed alot of cool stuff. go back and read it.

rocketsocks
07-15-2012, 11:43
how many hours a week do you get out and hike?
this is what we do when we're not on the trail. and most of us spend considerable time hiking, by the way.both activities help keep some perspective on sanity and whats really important.and we like too argue a bit, but its just like kids arguing about their favorite baseball teams, regardless of which team we support, we all love baseball.
and its a great place to learn about the sawyer in line water filter!Bingo, just chewing the fat, spinning some yarn, later we'll knit, hehehe

but yeah who cares, there's plenty of other threads here with great information for the taking......no one need suffer.

rocketsocks
07-15-2012, 12:04
taking that walk now.....later;)

Driver8
07-15-2012, 12:06
Okay, gang, I'm putting on my moderator hat. Personal attacks on other members are not permitted, no matter what the provocation.

Forgive me, Marta, for I have sinned. Hope you have a great hike. :)

coach lou
07-15-2012, 12:24
Forgive me, Marta, for I have sinned. Hope you have a great hike. :)

you have been absolved.......I have been deleted. WOO helped me photo shop the pics of our cyber hike yesterday.

Driver8
07-15-2012, 12:27
you have been absolved.......I have been deleted. WOO helped me photo shop the pics of our cyber hike yesterday.

Didn't see your post, Lou. Bad boy! I'm trying to load photos into my gallery. W/b is cranky to day.

Drybones
07-15-2012, 12:32

Try Dublin Irish chedar, it's hard, dry, and the tastiest cheese I've had.

Drybones
07-15-2012, 12:39
I've often referred to Montana skeeters as a terradactyl variety. Watch out for those cut little Horribilis

Careful now...you're talking about the Alabama state bird. I have feeder hanging from the deck...Billy Bob I believe his name was.

coach lou
07-15-2012, 12:47
Didn't see your post, Lou. Bad boy! I'm trying to load photos into my gallery. W/b is cranky to day.

I had made a reference to our conversation about how some folks can make lots of cracks about we chatters, but have no gallery, and how some of us find it very easy to find friends;)

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2012, 13:03
I am not cranky I am moody its morning and I am nocturnal.:sun

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2012, 13:06

You got a point... do they make a Cuben Golf bag and UL clubs? And can you still take a mulligan when you hit the tree?

coach lou
07-15-2012, 13:16
WOO, I'm trying to keep my bill down for your Strigiformian Counseling sessions. I have to go referee drunken adult hockey players this afternoon, that should cool me off.

atraildreamer
07-15-2012, 13:28
ohh just blame it on the heat wave.... Wait you are in Rhode Island... nevermind... Do you honestly think this latest event has anything to do with what you posted? Years of reading posts here ...one has to see a pattern, as I am guilty of it too.

I am also in Rhode Island. :jump I am not guilty of that...(oh, yes I am! :eek:) Sometimes I'll post just to break up the monotony of a boring day at home. :( I'll add a humorous attachment, or two, just to throw a bit of humor into the discussion and help everyone to relax a bit. :)

Whiteblaze is like a family, full of all types of people and all ranges of age and experience. :welcome Let's just take the good for what it is worth and try to deal with the bad when we come upon it. Can't we all be friends and just get along? :confused: :D:banana

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 13:31
Or your McAfee Knob ... photos. ...
iconic.................

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2012, 14:08
ATTrailDreamer - You just found that? Was that 200 posts ago? Hey you need to jump on more often - we are discussing about the calming affects of Dublin Irish Cheddar Cheese, SD Davis is passing it around the campfire and sharing his old Billy Bob Otherwise I have no idea what he is talkin about... see above. seriously......

Coach, its the Strigiformes Claws Society & Symposium constituting 200 extant bird of prey or raptor species. Most are solitary and nocturnal and Mixed Drinking and Fine Cigars consumption with moderation is required. We have regular meetings in the Members only area - AT Dreamer is bringing the Cheddar Cheese and Crackers so long as Billy stays home. Can I sign you up?

Now what was I smoking...oh here it is.

Actually we all hike often - Us old farts are rich and using tap-a-talk and the latest smart phones, blue-toothed, to personal locators communicating with Satellites. If you had a Google Latitude account you could see where we all are- in the woods.

Mine is doing speech recognition... right now. Let me know if you want products and apps you need to get up to speed, so you can join us. We have a IT member to help you.

The "need for speed" right boys?

Marta - I ment to do that,,,,, honest! - looks down shuffles feet and kicks a pebble...

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 14:23
WOO,You're on a roll today, great response on the prtotection thread as well. you're being nominated for mayor of WB old farts cyberhiking while in the woods community.
the job comes with a SAWYER IN-LINE WATER FILTER!

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2012, 14:29
ohhh I won something! GASP!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/Youcantmakethisup.jpg

coach lou
07-15-2012, 14:49
HB..........did you have another epiphany? I'm glad, we old farts have to cyber hike together. I gotta go, and fight with hockey players half my age! Bye- bye, my friends!:D

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 15:27
HB..........did you have another epiphany? I'm glad, we old farts have to cyber hike together. I gotta go, and fight with hockey players half my age! Bye- bye, my friends!:D
you need friends. and im glad to count you guys among them.:)

Marta
07-15-2012, 15:47
After yesterday's hike I told a couple people I'd rather hike in the rain than be pestered by mosquitoes...

I got my wish. As I stepped out the door this morning the first few drops came down. Two hours later water was streaming off me while I ate my sandwich next to a waterfall.

Not a mosquito to be seen!

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2012, 15:52
Very cool - You are in a good mood, I can tell you haven't read the thread since you hiked.:rolleyes:

Driver8
07-15-2012, 15:52
Send us a passel of that rain, Marta, we need it! Pretty please?

Marta
07-15-2012, 15:54
Very cool - You are in a good mood, I can tell you haven't read the thread since you hiked.:rolleyes:

I've read it, but am choosing to ignore it. ;-)

Marta
07-15-2012, 15:55

Our brothers in southern MT and CO are in need, too. I wish we could spread it around.

Driver8
07-15-2012, 15:59
Colorado needs it even worse than do we. Rain dances all around!

Sarcasm the elf
07-15-2012, 18:41

Thank you for posting this! I think it should be a sticky attached to the top over every thread on this site! :sun

Sarcasm the elf
07-15-2012, 18:50

Driver, Lou,

I've been doing my rain dance for three days now, it worked friday night and worked today. I just hope it's enough to keep the water sources flowing!

10-K
07-15-2012, 18:56

Driver8
07-15-2012, 19:15
Driver, Lou,

I've been doing my rain dance for three days now, it worked friday night and worked today. I just hope it's enough to keep the water sources flowing!

Yes, our rain dances worked. The Taconics will need more than the half-ish inch they appear to have gotten today plus maybe 1/4" Fri night, but every bit counts. Too late for my beloved blueberries, but let's hope another rain or two, soon, will get things back closer to normal out there.

Rasty
07-15-2012, 20:36

Are you suggesting filtering the rain?

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 20:43
There's many benefits in owning a sawyer in line water filter.

Rasty
07-15-2012, 20:44
There's many benefits in owning a sawyer in line water filter.

On TV someone was filtering pee! Is that what you are alluding to?

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 20:48
Only one of the many benefits of bullets the sawyer in line water filter.
franchise opportunity available.

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 20:50
Bullets.it can hold up to 5bullets.

Rasty
07-15-2012, 20:51
Only one of the many benefits of bullets the sawyer in line water filter.
franchise opportunity available.

Five or six shooter in line filter? If six no thanks. As previously discussed five is the only correct number.:)

Rasty
07-15-2012, 20:55
Bullets.it can hold up to 5bullets.

How much for a franchise? I got an extra $20 is that enough? Are they TSA compliant?