PDA

View Full Version : Southbound

Hamilton
04-22-2005, 01:31
I'm kind-of planning a southbound hike beggining @ the end of may in 2007 (get it out of my system before I get married in 08). I'm wondering how much I should plan on spending for equiptment and food, misc 'stuff'.

I'm not very experienced (previously only short overnight hikes), and pretty out of shape, but I'm working on that.

I want to hike somewhere from late-may, early-june through the end of august back just in time to go back to school (beggining of my senior year college). I don't plan on making it all the way through, just as far as I can manage in that timeframe and when the day comes, walk find a town, find a taxi to an airport, and fly home.

Is this doable, or do I need to go back to the drawing board?

Nean
04-22-2005, 12:57
Go for it Hamilton!! First of all don't listen to Jack, SOBO is the way to go!;) You can spend anywhere from several hundred to several thousand on gear and stuff. Used to be 1 dollar per mile after gear was a good average, so you could do a thru-hike for around 2 grand. these days its closer to 2$ per mile and many I'd guess spend more than that. Since you are to young to drink you will probably save a small fortune right there. My advice is get on the trail and stay until you run out of time or money. Enjoy! One other thing, at that time of year you may want to start a little further south to avoid the mud/bug season.

plodder
04-22-2005, 18:05
Can anyone give a mud, snow, ice, runoff update?

Tramper Al
04-22-2005, 18:28
I'm kind-of planning a southbound hike beggining @ the end of may in 2007 (get it out of my system before I get married in 08).
Hey, congratulations! But I just have to ask.
How did you secure 'permission' to hike the trail, and more impressively, a 3+ year engagement?!?