PDA

View Full Version : Damage to the BMT from recent storms

SGT Rock
07-10-2012, 07:19
I got a note from a couple of hikers who did part of the BMT in the Smokies. Apparently there are currently about 20-25 blow downs in the first 2.5 miles north of Twentymile Ranger Station. I have not heard any news yet about the rest of the BMT through the Smokies or in the adjoining Cherokee Forest which includes my section in the Slickrock Wilderness, but if that is any indication of what we will see, I imagine trail conditions are likely to not be good on the north end of the BMT for months. If anyone is hiking in that area anytime soon we would appreciate any feedback so we can start organizing crews and trying to get them out there where we can. Currently we are not allowed to do any saw work inside the GSMNP.

Blissful
07-24-2012, 09:22
Currently we are not allowed to do any saw work inside the GSMNP.

Ridiculous, they ought to know when people want to help that it helps them and the park... I wonder if they really care about hikers and the trails.
PATC can come in to Shenandoah and clear what they need to clear.
oh well

Hope it's ok by next spring - I'm still hoping to do it then

Rasty
07-24-2012, 09:46
Ridiculous, they ought to know when people want to help that it helps them and the park... I wonder if they really care about hikers and the trails.
PATC can come in to Shenandoah and clear what they need to clear.
oh well

Hope it's ok by next spring - I'm still hoping to do it then

It's about Jobs for federal workers not about the trail.

SGT Rock
07-24-2012, 12:12
rastraikis isn't far off the mark. The park is worried more about the process than the results. I'm not saying they are not good people and that they are not working hard to get the trails open at all, they are working hard and are good folks. But in these days of reduced budgets you don't want to have the park cleared quickly by volunteers and then have some congressman ask why do we need a trail maintenance budget when you have all that volunteer help.

The Forest Service lost that battle years ago, and now many trails, especially in wilderness areas, are very infrequently maintained to the point some are not easily hiked anymore. Mainly because you cannot count on being able to get the volunteers for the long haul.