PDA

View Full Version : Whites-Aug. 1 st- 15d or 30d Bag????

q-tip
07-10-2012, 08:28
Hiking White Mountain Nat'l Forest Aug 1-8. Should I bring my 15d down sleeping bag or can I get by with my 35d bag??? Suggestions????

Ender
07-10-2012, 08:54
Honestly, in the Whites, anything can happen. You'd likely be fine with the 35* bag (and supplementing by wearing all your clothes if the temps drop), though you never really know. I'd watch the weather the day you head out and make a judgement call then...

Me, I'd probably just take the 15* bag and be done with it. The weather up there is just too unpredictable, and it can drop below freezing any day of the year.

Smooth & Wasabi
07-10-2012, 09:05
I think it depends on where you are planning to camp, how warm/cool you sleep, how accurate your bag rating is, tent vs. tarp, and what kind of insulated clothing you are bringing. I have been a little chilled in the equivalent of a 35 bag(10 year old low loft 20 synth) sleeping fairly high under a tarp in some of the coldest august weather I have experienced. Personally I would bring my 30 down bag and light down jacket as I sleep warm and am confident in this gear's ability to insulate. I suggest that if you have any doubt about your ability to be comfortable with your lighter bag take the 15 and go lighter on camp clothing.

Snowleopard
07-10-2012, 09:08
A 35F bag should be fine, just keep it dry. It could get colder than that at higher elevations, but you can't legally camp up above tree line. Do take some warm clothes and rain gear. Above tree line you should be prepared for a heavy rain with high winds and 40F temps -- i.e., hypothermia weather.

A1ien
07-10-2012, 09:49
15d if you're not willing to possibly be a little uncomfortable.
35d if you're willing to possibly be a little uncomfortable.

peakbagger
07-10-2012, 09:52
35 d bag. 15 is overkill. Worse case is you put on some of your extra layers and wear them in the sleeping bag.

House of Payne
07-10-2012, 12:06
In August I would have to agree with the 35d bag. I would always plan ahead with 'what if' questions just to be sure you have things covered. Maybe extra clothes to sleep with maybe a bag liner or vbl.