PDA

View Full Version : tarp puddle issues

A1ien
07-10-2012, 10:07
I recently obtained this: http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=76

It's great so far except for water tends to puddle up outside the coverage area of the tarp then drain into the coverage area of the tarp, thus resulting in a water under the coverage area of the tarp. Are others having this issue with their tarps? This has happened even on very flat areas. So far I've managed to just be careful about keeping my bag and my self completely on my sleeping pad, but this is a bit annoying not to mention difficult to achieve when not awake. I'm considering next time using a trowel to dig a trench around my perimeter, but this would also be a bit annoying and may not be sufficient during a downpour.

atmilkman
07-10-2012, 10:45
I don't have any experience with this product so I can't offer any advice with your issue. I see that you are new here and not meaning to sound condescending but I feel I should make you aware that your mentioning of using a trowel to dig a trench may not sit well with some of the members here and that may effect their responses in that they may be reluctant to offer advice.

Alligator
07-10-2012, 10:58
First, it sounds like you may not have a groundcloth? (Tarptent floorless?) A small groundcloth will make sleeping safer.

Also, watch out for flat, clay soils were water infiltration is slow. You might notice that there was probably a puddle there previously but dried up. No plants growing there might indicate previous users have compacted the soil as well.

dla
07-10-2012, 14:56
Site selection is key. Also, I'm going to guess that there will be condensation dripping down - so don't let your bag get under an eve. Anytime you setup on bare dirt you risk getting flooded in a downpour - always spend some time understanding the drainage of a site.

Miner
07-10-2012, 15:07
Campsites that have been heavily used have compacted ground under where people pitch their tents which collect water; they may look flat but they really aren't as they have a sligh depression there. There is a reason why most tents have bathtubes floors. With a tarp you have to avoid such sites. You need to look at the ground and avoid places where water may flow or pool. Go hiking in the rain a few times and look at the ground around popular campsites and you'll quickly see what to avoid. I personally prefer slightly sloped ground so water flows away from me. I would suggest using a small ground cloth that is cut smaller then your tarp so that it doesn't get near the edges of the tarp.

Using a tarp in bad weather does require a bit more knowledge than just using a tent, but that knowledge is easy to come by. I've been in some pretty bad weather and have had no issues staying dry.

gunner76
07-10-2012, 18:50
Use the tarp with a hammock, problem sovled

Wise Old Owl
07-10-2012, 20:19
Gunners got a point... you will learn a lot here if you stick it out. no mention of a blue pad or self inflating pad. Or a space sheet.

pyroman53
07-11-2012, 19:09
What Miner and dla said x2!! Gotta have some slope to the site so you know which way the water will flow. Set up your tarp lengthwise with the slope so when water comes off the tarp, it will simply flow parallel and not across your sleeping bag. Beware of flow from the slope above you. A slight convex (inverted bowl shape) is ideal. Avoid the obvious popular, heavily impacted campsites, as mentioned earlier, because they will they turn into lakes with just a small amount of rain. These are the ones that have been used so much there's little ground cover and have been compacted enough to hinder infiltration. Duff and grass covered sites are great, just be sure to minimise impacts to undisturbed vegetation (no trowel).

Tarp camping is great and has a lot of advantages, but site selection is critical. So critical it can become a real pain the in butt.

daddytwosticks
07-12-2012, 07:34
Be careful about setting up a tarp on grass. The few times I did this I ended up with very heavy condensation. Especially on grassy sites with no overhead tree cover (balds, field, etc.). :)