PDA

View Full Version : "I wish I'd never hiked the AT."

A1ien
07-10-2012, 10:19
Any stories of successful thru-hikers saying such a thing?

brian039
07-10-2012, 10:36
No, but it did ruin me in many ways.

WingedMonkey
07-10-2012, 10:43
Any stories of successful thru-hikers saying such a thing?

Prepare for 50 section hikers to tell you why they never will.

Red Hat
07-10-2012, 11:11
Hiking the AT is truly a love/hate thing. There were times when I absolutely hated it and had to get off. But somehow, I always manage to go back. Regrets... yes, that I didn't keep going on to K in 2010 when I was 90 miles away. But at the time I was so exhausted that I couldn't see the forest for the trees. Thus my decision to rehike Maine this year. I am never sorry for any time I spent on the AT.

Astro
07-10-2012, 11:24
No, but it did ruin me in many ways.

Curious, how do you feel it ruined you?

BrianLe
07-10-2012, 12:20
It's my least favorite among the 'big three', but --- definitely not. The "least favorite" is still a great trail and a great experience in many ways.

rocketsocks
07-10-2012, 12:22
Any stories of successful thru-hikers saying such a thing?Told ya, gonna get interesting, hehehe Oh and :welcometo White Blaze

max patch
07-10-2012, 12:50
I doubt it.

Thru hiking is a 5-6-7 month commitment for most people. Plenty of time to quit if you don't like it. This isn't like going to a movie and when its over you say want your $10 and 2 hours of life back.

Coffee Rules!
07-10-2012, 13:07
If I don't like it, who do I see to get my $10 back? The ATC? :p

brian039
07-10-2012, 13:08
Curious, how do you feel it ruined you?

Once I found that level of freedom that you enjoy on a thru there's no other way that I want to live now.

Miner
07-10-2012, 15:00
Any stories of successful thru-hikers saying such a thing? I think that any hiker that would say that would have quit long before actually finishing.

Bootbanger
07-10-2012, 15:14
It might be just my way of thinking, but I cannot understand how someone can hike over 2000 miles and all of a sudden (less that 100 miles to go) quits. There would have to be some really death threatening sickness for me to have quit that close to the end of my hike. Like I said, maybe it is just me, I cannot understand that one.

Lone Wolf
07-10-2012, 15:53
It might be just my way of thinking, but I cannot understand how someone can hike over 2000 miles and all of a sudden (less that 100 miles to go) quits. There would have to be some really death threatening sickness for me to have quit that close to the end of my hike. Like I said, maybe it is just me, I cannot understand that one.

i quit twice with less than 300 miles to katahdin. by then my goal was to hike til it wasn't fun any more. i met my goal

Red Hat
07-10-2012, 18:17

me either, Bootbanger, in fact back in 05 I couldn't believe it when my friends quit all the way up at Hanover.... I mean they were almost there! But then there I was in 2010. I was 63 years old, exhausted (physically and mentally), I had fallen into the Big Wilson and couldn't stand the thought of doing Chairback again, especially not DOWN. (I'd done the 100 mile back in 08) So it occured to me that I was finished. I had, after all, hiked all the way from GA to ME. And since I had done the Katahdin and the Wilderness before, I figured I was done. At the time it made all the sense in the world. I was asked repeatedly if I was sure. (several of my hiking buddies even said that I was probably right to quit) Anyway... it certainly wasn't all of a sudden. I had thought about quitting several other times, but kept on. So you don't have to understand. It just happened.

The main point is that I still am not sorry I hiked. And I'll keep on hiking.

MuddyWaters
07-10-2012, 23:09
Once I found that level of freedom that you enjoy on a thru there's no other way that I want to live now.

As the bible says, a man is owned by his possessions, not the other way around.

Kind of a shame, but long distance trails are about the only place you can escape the material life and pursue freedom. If you tried to live in a regular national park for 6 mos, they would throw you out or have you arrested.

wornoutboots
07-10-2012, 23:20

Why would section hikers say they never will?? I'm a section hiker & I'm hoping to be do it someday. But I will say I LOVE the freedom of Section Hiking : O )!!

Donde
07-10-2012, 23:48
Yeah the AT pretty much destroyed the non hiking non hash running parts of my life. Careers, relationships, roots, stability, all just obstacles to the next event, be it a Thru, an Ultra or an Inter-Hash. Likely gonna have to break up with my girlfriend for PCT '13. Have talked to others from my class who feel similarly.

fiddlehead
07-11-2012, 02:54
I remember once taking a break up in Maine at a water source and there was a bunch of boy scouts there and another thru-hiking couple.
The boy scouts were telling us how thrilled they were to talk to some thru-hikers and were appreciating my telling them that it is an admirable goal to hike the AT and one that I had since boy scouts too............blah blah blah
The girl from the other thru-hiking couple then broke in and said: It's not for everybody. I actually hate it. I hate getting up every morning and can only appreciate that I am one day closer to the end.
I asked her why she doesn't just go home then, and she said she was very goal oriented and wouldn't quit, even though she hated it, was in pain, tired of sleeping outside, rain, etc.
I don't envy her life.

fredmugs
07-11-2012, 07:45
I just finished my last section this year after 9 years. If I didn't have those trips to look forward to I would probably weigh 75 pounds more than I do now. There was nothing enjoyable about Maine, it was some of the hardest physical work I've ever done, but I'm glad I did it. Pretty much every day on the trail I would tell myself "if this was easy there would be more people out here doing it."

Fortunately there is this thing called the PCT to focus on now.

speedbump
07-11-2012, 10:10
I am sure section hikers would love the chance to thru hike, but life has a way to getting in the way sometimes. I am sure the 50 reasons are valid. However, there is nothing wrong with being a section hiker, we do the same miles, see the same things, experience the weather, the exhaustion, etc, just not for the same amount of time. Winked Money, I envy you that you had the time to do it ! I am not as lucky in life, but I will finish the entire AT, bit by bit : )

Why would section hikers say they never will?? I'm a section hiker & I'm hoping to be do it someday. But I will say I LOVE the freedom of Section Hiking : O )!!

Praha4
07-11-2012, 10:32
she was just being honest, more power to her for hiking as far as she did. If thru-hiking was for everybody, just think how more crowded the AT would be. Thank goodness it is not for everyone!

I remember once taking a break up in Maine at a water source and there was a bunch of boy scouts there and another thru-hiking couple.
The boy scouts were telling us how thrilled they were to talk to some thru-hikers and were appreciating my telling them that it is an admirable goal to hike the AT and one that I had since boy scouts too............blah blah blah
The girl from the other thru-hiking couple then broke in and said: It's not for everybody. I actually hate it. I hate getting up every morning and can only appreciate that I am one day closer to the end.
I asked her why she doesn't just go home then, and she said she was very goal oriented and wouldn't quit, even though she hated it, was in pain, tired of sleeping outside, rain, etc.
I don't envy her life.

Airman
07-11-2012, 12:08
Thanks Speedbump for that commit. I agree with all you said. However, one thing we section hikers get is better weather and the satisfaction of a better chance of taking in the views, not the clouds and fog.

House of Payne
07-11-2012, 12:27
Interesting reads on this one so far. My concern, to hopefully get a few responses about, is a solo hikers mental state vs. having a group or hiking buddy to help keep you focused. It's a long walk by yourself if you don't meet someone along the way that hikes simular styles to you. Anyone??

WingedMonkey
07-11-2012, 12:42
As to my original reply, It was not that one hike is better than the other.

It was commentary on most time when someone that starts a thread of the following type:

"How did you get six months off work for your thru-hike?"
"How did you leave your family for your thru-hike?"
"How did you afford your thru-hike?"
"Do you regret your thru-hike?"

Then a usual assortment of answers are ..."You should section hike instead", "I can't get the time off" and "I could never leave my family for that long"

Enjoy however you hike, but how can you answer the question "Do you regret your thru-hike?" when you don't know?

I don't know if I regret going to China, cause so far I ain't gone there.

:sun

WingedMonkey
07-11-2012, 12:45
And Red Hat, you certainly have done enough miles and days to answer such a question

:D

brian039
07-11-2012, 14:14
Interesting reads on this one so far. My concern, to hopefully get a few responses about, is a solo hikers mental state vs. having a group or hiking buddy to help keep you focused. It's a long walk by yourself if you don't meet someone along the way that hikes simular styles to you. Anyone??

It is a long walk and you will often change how you want to hike along the way. Do you feel like making miles? Staying in a town that you didn't plan on staying in? This will ultimately determine who you hike with and not only you, but everyone else will also adapt hiking styles based on what they're feeling at the time. You might want to hike by yourself for a while, then hike with a partner, then fall into a group. Then after a while of hiking in the group you want to hike by yourself for a while, then you find a new group to hike with, then hike by yourself, then maybe hike with the 1st group you hiked with, and so on. It's great that there are so many options and it's just up to you how you want to hike that conforms to your mental state at the time. You'll never be alone on the trail unless you want to, and if you want to be alone that's not hard either.

Drybones
07-11-2012, 14:46

We're all different and have different needs but for me I'd rather hike alone during the day and meet up with other hikers at water holes and campsites in the evening. When you're alone you aren't distracted from thinking about the important things in life. When you're alone you set your own pace.

Red Hat
07-11-2012, 15:39

At my age and rate of speed, I was alone a good bit of the time. There were a number of folks that I ended up crossing paths with a number of times and that was great. It was lonely much of the time, and I do think having a buddy helps a lot. Since then I have done the JMT with a partner and will hike Maine this year with a partner. That mutual support makes a lot of difference to me.

speedbump
07-11-2012, 20:42
So true, we can pick the weekends and weeks that have the better weather and skip the rest ! I also find myself enjoying the hike knowing that I only have a day or a few days left. I am lucky, I live just a few hours drive from most of the New England At, and have done almost all of it.

Thanks Speedbump for that commit. I agree with all you said. However, one thing we section hikers get is better weather and the satisfaction of a better chance of taking in the views, not the clouds and fog.

Malto
07-11-2012, 21:57
Haven't hiked the at but did the Pct. after I finished I swore that I would never hike another long trail again. It lasted a week and then I started dreaming of another thru hike. I doubt there are many that would say that they wished they never hiked after completing a thru hike. Soon the pain wears off and as life surrounds you again you starting longing for that simple life of walking eating and sleeping.

Miami Joe
07-12-2012, 00:13
I don't envy her life.

Gotta respect her will, though. Right?

jimtabor
07-18-2012, 19:27
nice posts , I am not a section hiker or a thru hiker. I just hike up and down the great state of Pennsylvania. I know I am missing a lot of cool stuff but I dont care. whats the record for hiking the same state over and over ?
jim

Wise Old Owl
07-18-2012, 19:32
i quit twice with less than 300 miles to katahdin. by then my goal was to hike til it wasn't fun any more. i met my goal

Wow Whiteblaze provides professional therapy for free! Welcome back LW.

jimtabor
07-18-2012, 19:41
yes free therapy

rocketsocks
07-18-2012, 21:06
nice posts , I am not a section hiker or a thru hiker. I just hike up and down the great state of Pennsylvania. I know I am missing a lot of cool stuff but I dont care. whats the record for hiking the same state over and over ?
jimI thinks it's like 11,654 give or take a trip.

MuddyWaters
07-18-2012, 21:43
To me, there are different levels of "fun"

There is superficial fun, like catching a fish or something
There is deeper fun, that requires work, and isnt always enjoyable. Sports for instance. Its not always "fun" but it is.
There is much deeper levels that have to do with long term or internal satisfactions. Building a business, raising kids, or hiking long trails.

Some things can be grueling and tough, but still be enjoyable. The little moments then tend to make the hard work worthwhile.

After a few days on the trail, the desire to hike can wane. But go home and try to lay in bed and sleep and you imagine your in a shelter, or a tent...

Superdave0002
07-19-2012, 06:33

Maybe they thought that it was a Journey thing, not a destination thing.

Monkeywrench
07-19-2012, 07:57

I hiked most of the trail by myself. I can't imagine doing ti any other way. If you stick with a group you have to constantly compromise your hike for the group's wishes. In my opinion it is far easier to hike your own pace every day, and enjoy the time you spend with others as your paces and town stops coincide.

Note that hiking alone doesn't mean being alone in any way. You'll keep seeing people at camp in the evening, in town whenever you're there, and you'll pass and re-pass each other on the trail. But when my intended pace didn't match up with that of the people I was with, I kept to my pace instead of altering it to fit theirs.

I don't think I'm explaining things very well this morning, but hopefully you can figure out what I'm saying.

Don H
07-19-2012, 08:05
​This should be the thru-hikers theme song. Sums it up pretty well for me.

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way
[ Lyrics from: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/f/frank+sinatra/my+way_20056378.html ]
Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

4shot
07-19-2012, 08:57
blah blah

I would imagine the SOBO's heard similar comments early in their hike. The honeymoon was over for a lot of NOBO's by the time they get to Maine.

The point being - if you asked that young lady now if she regretted her thru-hike I doubt that she would say that she did.The challenge is what makes it so much fun. There were times I did not enjoy my hike but I am glad I finished. Similarly, I did not find all my engineering courses to be enjoyable but I am glad I got the degree.

As I said before if 50% or more of people who started actually finished I doubt there would be so much discussion on WB focused on thru-hiking.

Grampie
07-19-2012, 09:05
I can't imagine what's in back of your question. In my estimation anyone who has spent a considerable amount of time hiking the AT has to do it for only one reason. That reason would be that they just love the experience. Shure, they don't love every minute of every day but it becomes an addiction. hiking the AT, like any addiction, is hard to kick and you love what you are doing. When you are no longer a addict, than you may no longer love it.

Whack-a-mole
07-19-2012, 12:25
Monkey Wrench hit the nail on the head for me. Even when I go with friends we usually just do our own thing and meet up at the shelter at night. If you try to wait on people you will just be frustrated, and if you are trying to keep up with someone, you will kill yourself with a heart attack trying to do it. I'll see you at the shelter and all will be great!

Berserker
07-19-2012, 13:11
Man, I was trying to think of a good joke to insert here, but in all honesty I’ve done about half of the trail so far and I won’t say I’ll never thru hike it but at this point I never intend too. There are many portions that I have hiked that I have no interest in hiking again, and the social aspect really isn't a selling point for me. The other thing about the AT is the stinkin a$$ weather. I really don’t enjoy hiking in multiple days of back to back rain…that’s just not my idea of fun.

However, one thing we section hikers get is better weather and the satisfaction of a better chance of taking in the views, not the clouds and fog.
I suppose if you have a flexible schedule, then yes. Once I plan a section I’m going on said date unless there has been a serious family issue or some extreme weather event is about to occur (e.g. a hurricane, a huge snow storm, etc.). For me the weather has been about 50/50 as in about half of my trips have been partially or entirely wet. I have hiked several sections in rain/fog including the 70 miles North of GSMNP on 2 separate trips. I still need to get back there to see the views from some of the high points such as Firescald Knob and Big Bald.