PDA

View Full Version : Convertible hiking pants - suggestions welcome

Bookworm2
07-10-2012, 21:44
So my old convertible hiking pants I bought ten years ago are a size too small now, and I'm looking to buy some new ones. But the problem is that seems like everywhere I look the only ones I see are capri/pants. I personally can't stand capris, and I don't really understand the point of zipping off only 5 inches of pant leg. The ideal pant for me has large legs for plenty of room, a belt or at least belt loops, cargo pockets, moisture-wicking and quick drying, and are pants/shorts. There's a pair at REI that I'm thinking about getting, but the waist on them is way too big, and even though it has a belt, I'm wonderting if it'll be uncomfortable after awhile. Any suggestions?

Six-Six
07-10-2012, 22:03
My experience: I dropped two waist sizes (42 to 38) in only 700 miles on the trail - If the pants are too loose at the start, you're really going to swim in them in a few weeks.

Spirit Walker
07-10-2012, 22:06
I've worn REI Saharas for years. They aren't capris and they are loose legged. Watch out for sizing though, the last ones I bought were sized wierdly - a size 6 fit the same as the old size 10. Maybe that's the problem you ran into with the oversized waist. Normally that isn't a problem.

Rasty
07-10-2012, 22:08
Columbua Arubs 3 with mess liner. Dry really fast.

HighMaintenance
07-10-2012, 22:22
Try EMS convertable pants. They length when converted to shorts is a little shorter than others and more flattering. Also, they come with a belt.

Bookworm2
07-11-2012, 23:18
Thanks for all the suggestions!

BabySue
07-12-2012, 14:00
I bought Royal Robbins zip-offs for my wife. They're good material & are not Capri-length when short, but she doesn't like that they have a high waist (think 1980s Guess or Brittania jeans). Google Craghoppers. They make pants with a double zip-off. That is, you have three length options.

redfox1939
07-17-2012, 10:46
I've tried hiking pants from a number of different manufacturers like REI and RailRiders, but the ones I like best are EMS' cargo zip off hiking pants.They are convertible pants, in that the legs zip off just above the knee, which extends their range of use in a wide variety of weather conditions.

judypudy
07-17-2012, 11:40
Really like the Mountain Hardware convertible pants.They have a seamless conical waist lining so your hip belt doesn't press on seams. also come in petite sizes, which I needed.

Adriana
01-20-2013, 00:41
I found no two brands fit alike. Go to REI and see which feel best on your body. My preferences for itn my curvy body are REI brand and Northface. The zippers on the REI ones are lighter and not as annoying as the ones on t Northface. Be sure to unzip the legs to see what you think.

tiptoe
01-20-2013, 13:33
Another vote for EMS convertibles. They're not super pricey, very durable, and they have tons of pocket space.

pqtex
01-20-2013, 14:02
I have big hips and a small waist. I rarely find pants that fit the waist. It is not difficult to take a few darts in the waist. I don't do a seamstress-quality job...these are just hiking/canoeing pants, so i don't unstitch the waistband or anything complicated. I just take a dart. Sometimes I cut the dart open and stitch it flat, sometimes I fold it down and stitch it flat, sometimes I don't do anything but take a dart. I used to wear the REI pants, but the newer ones don't seem to fit the same, and they don't seem to make much for the big-butted women. I have been buying PFG (I think that stands for performance fishing gear) at Academny in the men's department. I definitely have to take in the waist when I buy men's pants, but these are well made. The zippers on the shorts/pants are smooth operating and I have worn these three pairs of pants for six years. I wear them at home for work pants in the yard and garden (we homestead, so that is a lot of work), I wear them around the house because they are comfortable, I wear them on all of our canoe trips (at least once a month), hiking (mostly just day hikes for me right now). They are more comfortable than jeans to wear around the house. They wash and dry well, without having to be babied. Now that I've gone on about them, I'll probably break a zipper or wear them out and then find out that Academy doesn't sell them anymore, or that the style/sizing has changed and the new ones no longer fit the same! lol.

Jill

slbirdnerd
01-26-2013, 22:19
I am just gearing up and tried some Northface but I found they ran small and once zipped off the shorts were really short. Happened to check Cabela's online and found Columbia marked down from$50 to $25. I normally wear a 12 or 14 in pants, so I ordered a L and and XL. The large fit good, the shorts are not too short, and I will give them a good try locally before our trip in May. My concern is they are a little cheap and I don't know how they will perform. They seem really comfortable, though, have elastic sections in the waistband, but no soft waistband liner. I'd love to try others but get tired of ordering online and returning, and can't find much locally. We are a Scout family too and I will probably look at the adult convertibles at the local Scout Shop next.

Dogwood
01-26-2013, 22:50
In addition to the EMS convertibles, which comes in different models(styles), you might also want to look at Ex Officio convertibles.

slbirdnerd
01-31-2013, 09:13
Happened to check Cabela's online and found Columbia marked down from$50 to $25. I normally wear a 12 or 14 in pants, so I ordered a L and and XL. The large fit good, the shorts are not too short, and I will give them a good try locally before our trip in May.

Tried them out in 30-degrees this past weekend with smart wool underneath. The Columbia pants were very comfortable and I was fine but certainly wouldn't want it any colder. Probably best for a little warmer than that.

foreversuperawesome
01-31-2013, 23:33
I currently have the Mountain Hardwear Ramesa pants, I LOVE them. They do make this crinkle sound but they are comfortable and can be converted to shorts.

Country Roads
02-10-2013, 15:11
Campmor has decent ones for under $35. I have a pair that I have worn heavily for the past 6 years. They are wearing like iron. The campmor sizes are a bit baggy, I have a size medium that wears more like a "small" large. My only gripe is that the velcroed leg gusset is on the inside and you can catch the toe of your shoe/boot and trip. I just simply did away with it, which does make sliding the legs off over boots difficult, but hiking shoes are doable.

Hot Flash
02-11-2013, 13:29
I love my ExOfficio convertible pants. Super comfortable, roomy, and they wash/dry in a flash.