PDA

View Full Version : MSR Superfly vs. Pocket Rocket

Pumba
07-10-2012, 22:21
I could only find one other thread related to these two stoves and it doesn't answer my question.

Do you all have an opinion on which stove is better? I know one is more expensive and slightly heavier than the other, but does the wider flame of the Superfly make this difference worth it? It seems the Pocket Rocket is more popular, and I'm wondering if it's just because of the price, or are there other factors?

SunnyWalker
07-10-2012, 23:00
Whad ya goin' to do with it, Pumba? Boil water? It's up to you. Both work just fine. Things like this are really up to each hiker. Its not that one is better than the other. If you like the MSR Superfly then get it. I have never used or owned the Superfly (do have the MSR Whisperlite). Lots of people use that Pocket Rocket and swear by them. I've got one and it works terrific. I also have 3 other stoves and they all work fine. It's really up to you, the weather you expect, elevation, time of year, etc., etc., etc. On AT fuel should not be a problemo for any of these. Enjoy.

zelph
07-10-2012, 23:06
Get the more popular one. Maybe look for a titanium one, those are more popular.

Pumba
07-11-2012, 11:19
I would be using mostly to boil water for me, and possibly one other person. I would like the flexibility to be able to occasionally cook on it as well. For now, it would be used at relatively low elevation and not in winter.

earlyriser26
07-11-2012, 11:46
The Pocket Rocket works great. Still the "Gold Standard" in my opinion. I haven't tried the SF, but any improvement seems very minor. I would just go with the cheaper one.

mark schofield
07-11-2012, 17:23
I used the Superfly for a few years and then switched to the Snow Peak Gigapower. The Snow Peak has a smaller burner head, similar to the Pocket Rocket. The burner head on the superfly is almost 3" in diameter. Depending on the pot you use, the flame might be too large and go up the outside of the pot. I use a Snow Peak 900 pot which was too small for the Super Fly. A Pocket Rocket with it's smaller burner head might be more appropriate for a pot with a smaller diameter. The SuperFly worked flawlessly for me. So does the GigaPower.

pyroman53
07-11-2012, 19:16
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the reason I went with the Superfly was that it can handle different brands of canisters. I have not used this feature. I would go with the Pocket Rocket were I to buy a new one due to its packability, or some of the other brands that might be available. My opinion is that these stoves are generally so similar that the actual choice is of little impact. Seems that all work fine. Heck, its not rocket science (pun intended).

Pumba
07-11-2012, 20:09
Thanks for the input. I'll likley go with the cheaper Pocket Rocket.

GlazeDog
07-11-2012, 20:58
Superfly is great. I used it for hundreds of miles on the AT. Large burner head distributes heat evenly, so you're less likely to burn foods. Also has faster boil times. I love how reliable this stove has been for me. I have used the pocket rocket too; didn't like for variety of reason...my least favorite of my 5 canister stoves, by far!

Pumba
07-11-2012, 21:10
Thanks GlazeDog. That information is very helpful.

Bucho
07-12-2012, 14:24
I haven't used the MSR superfly so the only comparison I can give is based on the specs. In which case the superfly is heavier, more expensive, less stable and slower to boil water but it does win out on efficiency and cold weather use.

http://www.rei.com/product/660163/msr-pocket-rocket-backpacking-stove
http://www.rei.com/product/665544/msr-superfly-stove