PDA

View Full Version : Good reading on the AT

coach lou
07-11-2012, 13:32
I received a Barnes & Noble gift card. I do not need a 'How-to' guide, but any suggested titles for a collection of stories on Travels along the AT.
Thanks..... I've read Mr. Brysons book already!

Spokes
07-11-2012, 13:40
So many good ones...... " Becoming Odyssa" by Jennifer Pharr Davis comes to mind.

You can read the Amazon reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Odyssa-Adventures-Appalachian-Trail/dp/0825306493

bfayer
07-11-2012, 13:41
Just passin' thru

Becoming Odeyssa

kayak karl
07-11-2012, 13:42
i liked Just Passin' Thru and A walk in the woods. the rest seem to be journals and not what i like. when hiking i like short stories. like the one's by Ray Bradbury (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Bradbury).

Spokes
07-11-2012, 13:45
You can always watch the film "Southbounders" for free while you make your decision!

http://www.cultureunplugged.com/documentary/watch-online/festival/play/5990/Southbounders

Some like it, some rave about it, others thought it was sorta cheesy...... :)

coach lou
07-11-2012, 13:57
You can always watch the film "Southbounders" for free while you make your decision!

http://www.cultureunplugged.com/documentary/watch-online/festival/play/5990/Southbounders

Are those real hikers or "Reality Hikers"?

Spokes
07-11-2012, 14:26
Actors....... Just like Bill Bryson. :D

coach lou
07-11-2012, 14:30

Step kids are with us this week, I'll check it out tonite while holed up in my man cave!

rocketsocks
07-11-2012, 14:48
Step kids are with us this week, I'll check it out tonite while holed up in my man cave!I like that movie, yes it's a little cheesy, but cute.Coach there is a book I just ordered, not about the AT, but it may intrigue, the history of the compass, I'm trying to get into my account at B & N, but haven't been able to, hmm.So not sure of the exact title, but will keeping trying, they actually had a couple titles on the history of the compass, and they all looked interesting. Also check out "AS far as the eye can see" by David Brill, I've perused it and it looks good, haven't really started it in earnest yet.

Got it "The riddle of the compass"

Also "Fifty shades of grey" seems to be getting a lot of attention, though not sure why, hehehe

Rain Man
07-11-2012, 14:51
I'll add a few:

As Far As The Eye Can See by David Brill
Walking On The Happy Side Of Misery by J. R. Tate (Model-T)
Walking North by Kelly Winters (WB's own "Amazin' Grace)
A Journey North by Adrienne Hall

There are plenty more.

Rain:sunMan

coach lou
07-11-2012, 14:58
I'll add a few:

As Far As The Eye Can See by David Brill
Walking On The Happy Side Of Misery by J. R. Tate (Model-T)
Walking North by Kelly Winters (WB's own "Amazin' Grace)
A Journey North by Adrienne Hall

There are plenty more.

There certainly are many more, that's why I posted this thread. I couldn't believe all the titles available.Have you ever been in any of the book stores at Gettysburg. There has to be thousands of books on just three days of battle!

Ladytrekker
07-11-2012, 15:00
"A Season on the Appalachian Trail" my favorite I have read many

Red Hat
07-11-2012, 15:28
not Amazon, but I have a number of Appalachian Trail books for sale on Ebay this week. Search for seller jail1 and you'll see what I have. Some classics back to the 70s, and some new ones too.

Rasty
07-11-2012, 15:33
A walk for Sunshine was good also.

Leapfrog^
07-11-2012, 16:34
I enjoyed "Southbound" by the Barefoot Sisters. Their sequel book "Walking Home" wasn't as good a read.

realdeal64
07-11-2012, 16:37
AWOL on the Appalachian was a great read.

hikerboy57
07-11-2012, 17:14
just passin through. ill get it back from my daughter if you want it.use the BN card for via, i understand they stock it.

VTATHiker
07-11-2012, 18:18
+1 on "The Barefoot Sisters - Southbound"

bwburgin1015
07-11-2012, 21:16
I've read a lot...just passin' thru and Becoming Odyssa were by far my favorites. I couldn't put Becoming Odyssa down. I read it in 3 or 4 days and I am NOT a reader.

Rain Man
07-11-2012, 21:17
There certainly are many more....

Many of which I have read and would not necessarily recommend.

Rain Man

coach lou
07-11-2012, 22:24

Thanks Spokes, I just checked it out. It was okay, the love angle is so Hollywood, at least they actually were on site, that was cool. Sherrie and the kids are backyard camping, and I just ran the story by them, so they all want to watch it, now that they are official backpackers!

coach lou
07-11-2012, 22:29
Many of which I have read and would not necessarily recommend.

Rain Man

So which do you think I should read first?

Mike2012
07-11-2012, 22:46
I've love reading along the trail but after finishing Earl Shaffers' Walking with Spring, and having read Bryson and both Barefoot Sisters books plus Whiteblaze Fever, I started getting into other literature like Jack Kerouacs' On the Road and Herman Hesses' Siddhartha. I recommend reading some of the books on your life list but make sure they are not heavy books such as my last book: John Irvings' A Prayer for Owen Meany. I picked that 2 pound book up at Bryant Ridge Shelter (arguably the best shelter on the AT). It was a great read but I loved getting rid of it. Small paperbacks for me, if I can help it. There are people on the trail watching movies and tv shows on their iPods. No judgement but come on!

verasch
07-11-2012, 22:56
Also "Fifty shades of grey" seems to be getting a lot of attention, though not sure why, hehehe

"The Story of the Eye" was much better...

There are people on the trail watching movies and tv shows on their iPods. No judgement but come on!

When I get around to actually doing my thru, I'll be carrying a tablet with me. Mostly so I can take a large reading list, but you can be damned sure I'm going to watch a movie on it every now and then. Don't worry though, I'll have my head phones in. :)

coach lou
07-11-2012, 22:57
I've love reading along the trail but after finishing Earl Shaffers' Walking with Spring, and having read Bryson and both Barefoot Sisters books plus Whiteblaze Fever, I started getting into other literature like Jack Kerouacs' On the Road and Herman Hesses' Siddhartha. I recommend reading some of the books on your life list but make sure they are not heavy books such as my last book: John Irvings' A Prayer for Owen Meany. I picked that 2 pound book up at Bryant Ridge Shelter (arguably the best shelter on the AT). It was a great read but I loved getting rid of it. Small paperbacks for me, if I can help it. There are people on the trail watching movies and tv shows on their iPods. No judgement but come on!

I have been carrying Lord Jim around for six months, I can't finish it on the trail..............2 pages.................snoozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzz..........good morning!

rocketsocks
07-11-2012, 23:04
"The Story of the Eye" was much better...

When I get around to actually doing my thru, I'll be carrying a tablet with me. Mostly so I can take a large reading list, but you can be damned sure I'm going to watch a movie on it every now and then. Don't worry though, I'll have my head phones in. :)I could see watching a DEAD show, up to buffalo, crimson whit and indigo, 89'JFK,I was there, yep....good show, or Foot Ball!

Lyle
07-11-2012, 23:55
Current: "Through Hiker's Eyes" - Lawrence Alexander (Not sure if it's available from B&N) Very humerous.

Best Collection: "Hiking The Appalachian Trail" Volumes One and Two. Published by Rodale. Long out of Print, but WELL worth the effort to find a copy at a library or on EBay.

kyarmchamp
07-12-2012, 01:59
Very good read for couples thru-hiking together

kyarmchamp
07-12-2012, 02:00
Solemates. Wonderful couples thru-hike read

chiefduffy
07-12-2012, 04:56
The Appalachian Trail Reader, an old favorite.

hikerboy57
07-12-2012, 07:34

if you like on the road, pick up dharma bums. and if you like siddhartha, read steppenwolf, actually all hesses books are powerful, all essays on individuality and resistance to societal norms, conformity.( i of course, continue to resist.)although ive read it already, im bringing dharma bums up to maine.

Rain Man
07-12-2012, 09:02
So which do you think I should read first?

First is not important. Read several. Or, in my case, a bunch! ;)

coach lou
07-12-2012, 09:07
First is not important. Read several. Or, in my case, a bunch! ;)

Your right of course, I get obsessive about my reading subject matter. I checked my home library and found I have already read '..The Trail Reader'. Today I will see how far that gift card gets me..............................HB, my son also gave me the Starbucks card!

OzJacko
07-12-2012, 09:26
I have read most I can get my hands on (can't actually get to the trail easily so feeding my Springer fever every way I can).
Walking With Spring
Becoming Odyssa
As Far As the Eye Can See
AWOL on the AT (Proof you can do it with blisters and worse)
are all very good.
But my personal favourite that seems to give me the most personal insight is On The Beaten Path (Rubin).

Feral Nature
07-13-2012, 11:02
I enjoyed the Barefoot Sisters: "Southbound"and the sequel "Walking Home".

I'm fixing to read "AWOL".

I

perrymk
07-13-2012, 12:28
In Beauty May She Walk: Hiking the Appalachian Trail at Age 60
Leslie Mass
Author/hiker is a 60 year old woman. I guess it's like a trail journal although I haven't read too many of those yet. Very engaging and well written in my opinion.

Southbound on the Appalachian Trail
Ken Sarzynski
Author/hiker is a 30+/- year old man. He goes back and forth between trail journal and chapters offering advice/perspectives. Again, engaging and well written, advice never got overbearing, at least not to me.

Double Wide
07-14-2012, 12:37
Gotta add 300 Zeros to the list. Really liked that one.

Emily Harper
07-19-2012, 09:05
Becoming Odyssa is one of my Favorites. Here's my review -- http://youtu.be/KbhziM3fN9Q

coach lou
07-24-2012, 06:58
Thanks for your help folks. Just checked out 4 titles from HBs Cyber Cafe Library.
Walking with Spring
Awol
Just Passing Thru
& Southbound
That should hold me over for a couple of months.

And you thought all we do at the Cafe was throw bullets, climb 6' walls, and filter water, and tell bad jokes.:sun

Rain Man
07-24-2012, 09:02
Thanks for your help folks. Just checked out 4 titles from HBs Cyber Cafe Library.
Walking with Spring
Awol
Just Passing Thru
& Southbound

A great start! BTW, you may not know, but there's a DVD of Earl Shaffer narrating a slide show of photos he took in '48 on his thru-hike. It'd go well with his book.

coach lou
07-24-2012, 09:29
A great start! BTW, you may not know, but there's a DVD of Earl Shaffer narrating a slide show of photos he took in '48 on his thru-hike. It'd go well with his book.

Naturally I'm starting with Earl. I hope to have finished it by the time I meet HB in Caratunk.

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 09:39
Walking with Spring
Awol
Just Passing Thru
& Southbound
That should hold me over for a couple of months.

And you thought all we do at the Cafe was throw bullets, climb 6' walls, and filter water, and tell bad jokes.:sunGot three of those, can't go wrong with them LOU, I'm heading out of town for a few days, not hiking ,and am bringing some much needed to be read books, the one on the history of the compass I mentioned, and maybe, oooh I don't know...to be decided, I Love Books, they can take my Credit cards, or my Drivers Lic., but please don't take my Library card...I alway's say, LOL Happy Reading "Coach",I liked Earls book, time for a re-read!

coach lou
08-24-2012, 12:09
Got three of those, can't go wrong with them LOU, I'm heading out of town for a few days, not hiking ,and am bringing some much needed to be read books, the one on the history of the compass I mentioned, and maybe, oooh I don't know...to be decided, I Love Books, they can take my Credit cards, or my Drivers Lic., but please don't take my Library card...I alway's say, LOL Happy Reading "Coach",I liked Earls book, time for a re-read!

Well, 3 down, the sisters to go. I enjoyed Earl very much, mostly in the pioneering way. Road maps, unkept trail, not alot of local navigating help, but lots of help otherwise. It is almost sad to think it can never be walked again as he did. It also seemed like he ran thru NH & Maine.
AWOL was very good. thoroughly modern 21st century family man, going for it! My knees ache just thinking of those mpds. I must get his guidebook.
'Just passing through'....I can't wait.... I hope to arrive on one of those crazy days.

Now to the Sisters.

bwburgin1015
08-24-2012, 13:46
So many good ones...... " Becoming Odyssa" by Jennifer Pharr Davis comes to mind.

Trail/dp/0825306493[/url]

Second that! Best AT book I've read. Also recommend Just Passin' Thru by Winton Porter...that's a good one to learn about the hiking community.

Deacon
08-27-2012, 06:20
Just read "Avalanche and Gorilla Jim". Very entertaining and it's available at Amazon Kindle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maddog
08-27-2012, 06:40
I enjoyed AWOL on the Appalachian and Just Passin' Thru! Maddog:D

firefly
01-14-2013, 21:26
If I had to pick a favorite it would be "as far as the eye can see"

wornoutboots
01-27-2013, 13:43
I just finished "Becoming Odyssa" really good read!