PDA

View Full Version : In search of the Perfect tent for 2

Not Sunshine
07-12-2012, 11:17
I've been backpacking along the AT (section hiker) for a few years with my heavy Kelty (I have a 1-man and 2-man tent). As of current, it's been good, but I know there's better out there!

I do most of my hiking along the AT because I live in the east, but next summer (2013) I am planning to hike the JMT with a friend.

I'd like to upgrade my tent for the occasion.

Here is my wish list:
- roomy, 2 person
- good ventilation
- bathtub floor
- fully netted/insect proof
- uses trekking poles to decrease weight
- weight < or = 2 lbs
- if at all possible: MADE in the USA

Price is really not a concern; I've bought cheap tents in the past, and because I have plenty of other gear, I'd like to get a NICE lightweight tent...I won't pay more than $500, but who would?

I've found the LightHeart Duo...http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=12

and the Tarptent Squall2...http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.html

I know there are other options out there.

I'm looking for recommendations, preferences, personal experiences, other companies to look into, etc. If anyone has anything to share, your experience would be GREATLY appreciated!!! I'm looking to purchase in the next 6-9 months (as we're planning JMT for July/August 2013).

THANK YOU!
Not Sunshine:o

Hiking Man
07-12-2012, 11:56
Lightheart gear duo +1

I have the duo and it's a great tent. Go for the wedge well worth the extra 1 oz plus 1oz pole, so 2oz total.

T.S.Kobzol
07-12-2012, 12:21
Yeah. The Lightheart Duo looks really nice on paper, especially the wedge version. I would love to hear more real 'from the field' reports and photos about this configuration.

Lightheart gear duo +1

I have the duo and it's a great tent. Go for the wedge well worth the extra 1 oz plus 1oz pole, so 2oz total.

Zippy Morocco
07-12-2012, 14:53
I really like the squall 2. I gave up a SMD lunar duo for it.

Sandy of PA
07-12-2012, 15:13
Check out the offerings at Z-Packs. I just got back from testing a Hexamid Solo for 468 trail miles. Love it!

Drybones
07-12-2012, 17:43
Check out www.tarptent.com (http://www.tarptent.com)

10-K
07-12-2012, 17:48
Lunar Duo is the best 2 person tent I've used. It's a palace.

Zippy Morocco
07-13-2012, 02:00
Check out the offerings at Z-Packs. I just got back from testing a Hexamid Solo for 468 trail miles. Love it!

My next tent/tarp will definitely be Cuben. Zpacks has very nice gear and certainly should be considered.

fredmugs
07-13-2012, 06:50
If you plan on eventually hiking the entire PCT make sure you get a tent that can be secured well. Last year I did the first 180 miles and my partners tarptent (not sure what model) did not hold up to the wind at all.

Rolo
07-13-2012, 14:40
Wife and I like the hubba hubba...

GrayBear
07-13-2012, 16:43
I don't use a tent, just a bivy and if it is going to rain I put up a tarp. However, I just ordered a duomid tent with inner from Mountain Laural Designs for my boys. This is also available in cuben. I have found Ron Bell to be a nearly perfect builder.

Red Hat
07-13-2012, 17:02
Yeah. The Lightheart Duo looks really nice on paper, especially the wedge version. I would love to hear more real 'from the field' reports and photos about this configuration.

I have used the Lightheart Duo "in the field" on the JMT last year. When we didn't use the wedge ventilation because of cold, it did have problems with condensation. But when we left it properly vented, it was amazing! So use a nice warm sleeping bag and open up those vents! The tent has an amazing amount of room for two people (one over 6ft). We fit us and all our gear comfortable. We will be using it this Aug/Sept in Maine on the AT. Great Tent!

bigcranky
07-13-2012, 21:13
Lunar Duo is the best 2 person tent I've used. It's a palace.

+1. My wife and I tried a LOT of lightweight tents, and the Lunar Duo is our favorite. It's palatial.

OzJacko
07-13-2012, 22:49
I actually recommend the Rainshadow 2 over the Squall 2 if you intend to always have 2 in it.
The xtra weight brings it out of your stated range but the extra room gives much more flexibility for gear inside etc. Also bigger reduces condensation issues.
It's enormous inside for 2!

StealthHikerBoy
07-14-2012, 07:13
+1. My wife and I tried a LOT of lightweight tents, and the Lunar Duo is our favorite. It's palatial.

Just to provide a dissenting voice on the Lunar Duo. I have it, and take it when I am hiking with one of my sons. On the plus side, it is light and very roomy. But, for me, that is overwhelmed by how challenging it is to set up. I have used this tent for about 30 nights, and I don't think I have ever got it set up right. Even when I do get it done well, it is a constant process of running around the tent, re-staking it, re-tweaking it, etc. I am sure this is "user error" but the frustration of setting this thing up is not something I need at the end of a long hiking day. Yes, it is a good product, but be prepared to invest a lot of time in figuring out how to use it if you buy it.

That is just my experience and I know there are plenty who rave about this tent, so take it for what it is worth.

I also have a LightHeart Solo... and I think I have pitched it perfectly starting with about the second time I set it up. Based on that, if I get another 2-man tent, it is likely to be a LH.

10-K
07-14-2012, 08:37
If you think the Lunar Duo has a steep learning curve you should try the Lunar Solo. I think I could use that tent for 10 years and still figure out better ways to pitch it.

From the sound of it I don't have nearly the trouble you do with the Duo and can get a good pitch right off the bat. The trick is to make sure you have the corners staked out properly *and* make sure to extend the straps the tent stakes go through as far as you can before you stake it out.

Then about 15 minutes after you pitch it just walk around the tent snugging up the straps to tension the tent properly.

Finally, adjust the lines that supports the vestibules so that the top is nice and snug and you're good.

That's how I do it anyway.... takes me about 5 or so minutes to set it up once I get it unrolled.

Oh, also - it is very forgiving if it's not pitched just exactly right. I've been in some storms where I haven't wanted to take the time to get a "perfect" pitch and just threw it up and it always has done well even then.

MuddyWaters
07-14-2012, 14:15
There is no perfect tent.

If there was all other mfgs would cease to exist.

Jim Adams
07-14-2012, 19:17
Hubba Hubba....the extra pound is worth the loss of aggravation.

geek

gunner76
07-14-2012, 19:46
If I was to buy a new tent I would get a Lightheart. I switched to a hammock a few years back so don't need a tent anymore.

jakedatc
07-14-2012, 20:01
my Gf and I have been looking at the Lightheart also. I have a Contrail for myself and i do what 10K does (and is suggested by Tarptent) make sure all the lines are extended then use the tensioners for what they were put there for. a lot easier to pull a string than to re-stake.

MuddyWaters
07-14-2012, 20:27
If I was to buy another 2 person tent (use a hexamid twin now, and yes it is > $500) it would be the SMD cuben Haven and net inner.

1. Double wall , 26 oz
2. Haven tarp is taped, no sealing required
3. It can be split so each person can carry part of the wt, hybrid tents like lunar duo are one piece
4. You can take just the tarp much of the time (10 oz)
5. Plenty of protection
6. Use it with a bug bivy or solo inner net for a 18oz solo tent
7. Repair it yourself with cuben tape if you get a hole, etc.

As far as Im concerned, its the best 2p item on the market right now for people wanting a full tent. The hexamid is light, but it takes a little work to stay dry in it.

ERNMAN
07-14-2012, 21:38
I have a lightheart solong 6 with a wedge...... love it. alot of room for under 2 lbs.

Not Sunshine
07-18-2012, 12:13
What is the magic behind this cuben material????

If I was to buy another 2 person tent (use a hexamid twin now, and yes it is > $500) it would be the SMD cuben Haven and net inner.

1. Double wall , 26 oz
2. Haven tarp is taped, no sealing required
3. It can be split so each person can carry part of the wt, hybrid tents like lunar duo are one piece
4. You can take just the tarp much of the time (10 oz)
5. Plenty of protection
6. Use it with a bug bivy or solo inner net for a 18oz solo tent
7. Repair it yourself with cuben tape if you get a hole, etc.

As far as Im concerned, its the best 2p item on the market right now for people wanting a full tent. The hexamid is light, but it takes a little work to stay dry in it.

MuddyWaters
07-18-2012, 19:42
Cuben:

1) it is LIGHT and strong
2) it does not stretch at all, even when wet, silnylon stretches horribly and requires re-tensioning, and when wet can be very dissapointing.
3) the seams are taped, so you dont have to do a horribly messy ugly seam sealing on your expensive new pride and joy to use it.

on_the_GOEZ
07-18-2012, 21:05
My GF just purchased the Double Rainbow from tarptent. Great piece of equipment!

thebrewguy
07-21-2012, 18:06
I have a Kelty Gunnison 2.1 which is my favorite 2-man tent. It weighs in at about 5lbs. with the body, poles, and rain fly, but when you split this between 2 people it makes it very easy to carry. It has 2 doors and 2 vestibules so its perfect for sharing with a friends who you are NOT intimate with. Super simple to setup and take down, sturdy and reliable. Also it only costs about $160. If you can split up the weight, the simplicity and comfort of this is worth it.

I also have a GoLite ShangriLa-1 trekking pole-base tent. This is extremely lightweight, easy to setup and quite roomy for a 1-man. I only have experience with mine, but they also make a ShangriLa-2, which is the 2-man version, however its still 3lbs 2oz. according to their site. The 1-man is only 2lbs. 3oz. but I'd only want to share it with a girlfriend/wife if anyone at all. They are $120 and $150 right now on clearance.

My last recommendation would be a silnylon (Globe Skimmer Ultralight) tarp from Equinox (equinoxltd.com). I have the 8x10 version, which costs about $92 and weighs in at just under 1lb. with stuff sack and guylines. You can set these up a million different ways including using trekking poles. But it takes some practice and most people will want to carry some kind of ground cloth(Tyvek ground cloth also from Equinox), and possibly a bug net (Sea to Summit Mosquito Pyramid Single) too. This setup with the ground cloth and bug net weighs in at about 2lbs. 4oz with 8 MSR needle stakes.

Hope this helps.

thebrewguy
07-21-2012, 18:08
Cuben:

1) it is LIGHT and strong
2) it does not stretch at all, even when wet, silnylon stretches horribly and requires re-tensioning, and when wet can be very dissapointing.
3) the seams are taped, so you dont have to do a horribly messy ugly seam sealing on your expensive new pride and joy to use it.

I don't agree that silnylon stretches. I have 2 products from different companies that use it for the rainfly and have had no such experience.

Not Sunshine
08-05-2012, 09:30
Does anyone have a Stratospire2 by Tarptent????

It looks like a spacious, but I'm not sure how it would fare in windy weather.....

Also looks like it could be big enough for 3 people...tight, but 3.

http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html

fadeaway
08-05-2012, 14:49
I have a Big Anges Copper Spur 3. Its lite weight and roomy for two. Paid $400.

Deacon
08-05-2012, 18:33
From what I see out there, any of the TarpTents are the best engineered most well thought out designs available.

If I wasn't a hammocker, that's what I would go with. The style is your choice of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cknight
08-05-2012, 20:35
I have used a Double Rainbow for about four years. Glacier, Yellowstone, Zion, and all over the lower 500 miles of the AT. It only has one flaw, rain will splash in the ends if it rains hard. It also requires you to manage your space very carefully during any rain event making sure you do not push the mesh on either end out. I really see no reason for this mesh and do not believe is adds enough ventilation to outweigh the rain issues.

I just completed a 150 mile section in PA and one of the through hikers (a couple) echoed my opinion.