PDA

View Full Version : Meeting son in Maine

johnndeanna
07-12-2012, 15:48
Hey there,

My youngest son is thru hiking southbound (trail name: Noodles) and is taking a zero day in Monson today and heading back out south bound tomorrow (13 Jul 12). My oldest is heading up to continue hiking the remainder of the trail with him and will be in Maine by Monday (16 Jul 12) afternoon. I am wondering where the best place would be to have my oldest get ahead of him on the trail and meet him as he comes south. He is taking a bus to Augusta and I wonder how he gets from Augusta to the trail and the best place to get to a trailhead that will stay ahead of my other son. I am not sure how far my other son will be by that point but he is averaging about 12 miles a day. I was thinking of having my oldest go to Rangeley and head north and and then back south once they meet up. This part of the trip is rather short notice and we have not had much time to plan the meet point since we were not sure when he would be able to go north. If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears.

Feel free to e-mail me

T.S.Kobzol
07-12-2012, 15:57
I would head to Stratton instead as there are multiple choices to get on the trail depending on how far your SB son is.

Your son will be approaching the Bigelow range as he walls from the Forks so hiking the Bigelow range and meeting at Horns pond is a good idea.

In case he was already on Bigelow then he will be thinking about resupplying in Stratton.

Alternatively if he is very fast then it is easy to join the trail on Rt 27 close to Sugarloaf, or hitch a ride to Rangeley side off route 4 after Saddleback.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Quadzilla
07-12-2012, 17:11
It takes most hikers 5 days to hike from Monson to Stratton. Stratton tends to be the major resupply point after southbounders leave Monson. Sue, at the Stratton Motel does shuttles and could help with getting your son there in enough time to meet your youngest. I would not have your oldest go to Rangeley, as the trail from Rangeley to Stratton is brutal and slow going. Your oldest would have ample time to wait for your youngest. Best to make sure everything is co-ordinated between the two so they don't miss each other. Hope this helps......www.100milewilderness.info