PDA

View Full Version : Race Car Tracks near the AT

SnakeSession
07-12-2012, 16:22
Hello everyone! My trail name is Loner and I'm writing from a motel in Vernon, NJ. Near mile marker 1350. I've walked from GA to here and a few nights I could hear a race track nearby in different states.

I'm wondering if the trail goes by any of these stock car race track where I could time my hike to go see a race? Big race fan. I hear there may be one near the trail in Conn. Anyone have a name of this track?

Also - was looking forward to seeing the old school bus near the trail just like the one from 'Into the Wild'. Have I already passed it or is it up ahead? Seen it in a few AT YouTube videos but don't recall where it's at.

Thanks everyone and goodluck to my fellow thru-hikers. Jeff, aka Loner - Greenville, SC

YouTube video series of my trip... http://www.youtube.com/user/Loner2012AT?feature=mhee

coach lou
07-12-2012, 16:30
It is called Lime Rock Park. After Pine Swamp Brook Shelter/ Mt. Easter, on Saturdays usually, you will begin to hear them. When you get to The Hang Glider Ramp you will look to the west and there it will be. Roughly 4 more miles you will get to the Junction of Rt.7 and Rt 112. Take Rt. 112 west another 1.5 miles and there you are!

SnakeSession
07-12-2012, 17:54
Thanks! That's exactly the info I needed! See you at the races!

Hikerhead
07-12-2012, 21:17
The school bus is about 1/2 day before the Partnership shelter if you're heading north.

Sarcasm the elf
07-12-2012, 21:31
It is called Lime Rock Park. After Pine Swamp Brook Shelter/ Mt. Easter, on Saturdays usually, you will begin to hear them. When you get to The Hang Glider Ramp you will look to the west and there it will be. Roughly 4 more miles you will get to the Junction of Rt.7 and Rt 112. Take Rt. 112 west another 1.5 miles and there you are!

Here is a picture of the view of Lime Rock Park from the hand glider ramp.

If i recall, you can continue north to just before the trail follows route 7 over the Housatonic river, you can take a left onto the side road and it will lead you to the entrance to Lime Rock. This road was actually the "official" A.T. A few years ago when a project to repair the bridge created a 2-3 mile detour.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=48771&catid=member&imageuser=26465

Old Grouse
07-12-2012, 22:16
But don't forget- no racing at Limerock on Sundays.

moocow
07-12-2012, 23:17
hey, like what was mentioned before, the bus was less than 10 miles from partnership (marion, va). but don't feel bad about missing it. i, like you, really wanted to see it. about 25 of us hikers went through there the same day i did and none of us saw it. :(

brian039
07-13-2012, 00:50
hey, like what was mentioned before, the bus was less than 10 miles from partnership (marion, va). but don't feel bad about missing it. i, like you, really wanted to see it. about 25 of us hikers went through there the same day i did and none of us saw it. :(

I didn't see the bus when I hiked through there a few months ago. It must have been removed.

Driver8
07-13-2012, 01:10
Lime Rock is not an oval - it's irregularly shaped. That cars they race there are really cool. I like them a lot more than the NASCAR models - more of an Indycar and Euro race car guy myself.

SnakeSession
07-13-2012, 07:07
Here is a picture of the view of Lime Rock Park from the hand glider ramp.

If i recall, you can continue north to just before the trail follows route 7 over the Housatonic river, you can take a left onto the side road and it will lead you to the entrance to Lime Rock. This road was actually the "official" A.T. A few years ago when a project to repair the bridge created a 2-3 mile detour.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=48771&catid=member&imageuser=26465

Thanks for the pix. Looks pretty cool. I'll check that out.

SnakeSession
07-13-2012, 07:08
I didn't see the bus when I hiked through there a few months ago. It must have been removed.

What a jip!

SnakeSession
07-13-2012, 07:09
Looks like fun either way so hope I catch it right.

SnakeSession
08-01-2012, 01:40
Thanks everyone for your directions and help! I got more excited the closer I got and totally walked to the race track. Not far and easy to find. The nice lady at the office had me sign a waiver. Wanted me to just go to the fence and look but I walked right down to the pits and got lots of good pics and some video. Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1d4Bly2iqE

adamkrz
08-01-2012, 06:15
Cool video, I met Paul Newman there in 1972 when he was racing Datsun's.