PDA

View Full Version : Pack Problem...

riverine17
07-12-2012, 19:30
So my wife has an issue, she has a pack which was a hand me down and she has all along asured me that it fits perfect, blah blah blah... My bad for taking her at her word! We packed it up and found that the weight is strictly on her shoulders because the torso of the pack is slightly too long, the hip belts sit too low on her hips, weve tried to adjust the suspension but nothing seems to work... The torso is unadjustable... Stupid question, but are there any tips or ways to alter or add ons to make the pack fit better? If it makes any difference its a Teton 45L pack... Due to our finances we wont be able to get her a new pack until next month so this is just a temp. pack... Thanks for any info you can provide...

Spokes
07-12-2012, 19:35
Anyway you can take it to a local outfitter and have them see the actual fit and offer suggestions? They may be able to offer a workaround for you in the store.

Rasty
07-12-2012, 20:24
If you or her is real good at sewing you could cut a couple inches out of the middle of the pack. Cut down the metal stays. A couple of hours at the sewing machine could work as a temporary fix.

Blissful
07-12-2012, 20:59
I'd wait on the hike until you get a pack that fits. Why be miserable? Or try to rent one at an outfitter temporarily.

chiefduffy
07-13-2012, 05:59
Had this problem and fixed it....check out this thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?81105-Has-anyone-altered-the-size-of-a-pack-large-to-a-small

grayfox
07-13-2012, 11:45
I tried to find a picture of your pack, not sure I found the right one, and am not sure I have the right idea but here goes.

Almost any pack is comfy if it is light--try putting all the light stuff in her pack and all the heavy stuff in yours and then plan to never lose sight of one another.

If the pack has a metal stay, or two, running down the pack internally--try removing it and bending it to fit her back then put it back into the pack and try loading it up again. You may be able to bend the stays so that the pack becomes shorter in length along her back. This may work if the pack is close to begin with.

If you have to start major surgery, and I would consult at least an experienced outfitter before doing this, I would start by deciding whether to drop the shoulder harness or raise the hip belt. You want to maintain a low center of gravity to err on the safe side, so raising the belt would be preferable. But I would do which ever is easer. If the pack has load lifter straps from the shoulders to the top of the pack they may no longer function to adjust the pack closer and further from your back for comfort and ventilation if you lower the sholder strap attachment point.

You may be able to use the pack without the belt, just cut it off, or add a narrow webbing belt at a comfortable level just to hold the pack lightly. You can do this by hand with strong thread or have a shoe repair person do it for you. You can just use a long sleeping bag strap around the pack tightly and then taking the excess around your waist using a quick release knot to tie it on, not the easiest but doable.

Good luck, post a picture for us.

stranger
07-16-2012, 05:51
You may be able to raise the belt on the pack, some belts attach with Velcro and can e moved up, thus shortening the torso. Make sure the load lifter straps are loose when tightening the shoulder harness, and if she leans forward and hikes up the belt...it may hold on the hips, maybe. Another tactic is to lean back against a tree, let the pressure against the tree to hold up the pack, bend the knees, crouch and tighten the hip belt around the hips.

Packs are like shoes, the right size is quite important. If the size is wrong, the size is wrong.