PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Shakedown Hike?

badondu
07-12-2012, 22:28
Hi all,

Looking to do a 14 day shakedown the first two weeks of August in preparation for my '14 thru attempt. I'm planning on 140 miles, an average of 10 per day, to be safe. I'll probably be getting a shuttle/ride back to my car, so if I am able to go further it won't be an issue. So my question is.. South of MD, what stretch/section would be a good well-rounded test to get a good thru hike feel, with a few decent trail towns thrown in the mix? I would probably like to experience a hostel at some point in the hike also, so if you know of any in the stretch that you recommend, please let me know. I live in GA and have done most of GA and then from Fontana through the Smokies, so I guess I'm really looking to do something north of there. If I was smart and ordered the data/guide books sooner I would be able to answer most of these questions myself, but.....

I would also like to say thanks to all of the regular posters on the site. I have read hundreds of threads full of outstanding information and advice pertaining to thruing and some just plain old entertainment. I hope to start posting more in the near future, but I've just been learning a lot so far.

Thanks guys! :)

-Ethan

fredmugs
07-13-2012, 07:05
I would go with US 19 to Atkins. It's 150 miles with a couple of different hostel opportunities and you can re-supply in Damascus.

badondu
07-14-2012, 15:18
That sounds like a good one. I have been pretty anxious to check out Damascus. Thanks Fred

Stir Fry
07-14-2012, 15:25
Try Sams Gap to Damascus. good test and shake down. Several Good stops. Maby end of September for better temps.

I26-Sams Gap, NC

Virginia-Tennessee Line

Damascus, VA

10-K
07-14-2012, 15:47
Davenport Gap to 19E would be another good one.

2 trail towns (Hot Springs, Erwin), an outfitter, and 3 hostels. Easy resupply and about 3509 bailout points if you need to.

Deadeye
07-15-2012, 08:19
Wherever you go, if your planned thru is NOBO, do your shakedowns SOBO, so you don't hike the same trail twice.

Deadeye
07-15-2012, 08:20
Heck, if you can, stay off the AT... do the BMT, anything, so it's all new.

badondu
07-15-2012, 22:38
I had that in the back of my mind. I may try to stay away completely or just do SOBO shakedown. But, on the other hand, it is two years out so I might not be burnt out on seeing the same stuff over again. Decisions decisions. BMT seems like a decent option - just wish I had enough time to complete it before school starts.

SunnyWalker
07-15-2012, 22:42
I think you are already doing what is good-taking a shakedown cruise . . . er, ah, Hike! Have fun! OK, ok, what kind of stove are you taking? What kind of tent/tarp/hammock/bivi? What kind of shoes? What kind of food? What type of cooking utensils? How much does your pack weigh? What kind of sleeping bag/blanket?

House of Payne
07-16-2012, 05:54
I agree with SW, aside from the location of your shakedown, plan on taking notes on everything that affects your trip in the positive and negative. This way you can review later and make changes. Also, as you run into folks along the trail ask questions and observe, there may be little things that are new to you that will help down the road.

badondu
07-16-2012, 10:21
I think you are already doing what is good-taking a shakedown cruise . . . er, ah, Hike! Have fun! OK, ok, what kind of stove are you taking? What kind of tent/tarp/hammock/bivi? What kind of shoes? What kind of food? What type of cooking utensils? How much does your pack weigh? What kind of sleeping bag/blanket?

Homemade alcohol stove. Hammock/tarp instead of tent. Trail runners - Salomon xa pro 3d ultra 2 (love them). Just going to do bars and the like for breakfast, other cold food for lunch, and only cook for dinners. Pack is a zpacks blast 20 cuben fiber. Haven't weighed since the addition of some newer gear but it should be pretty dang light. Going to bring my marmot 15 degree just to test everything with max late feb-march weight, and just let in sit in my pack while I use my liner. Hoping to spring for a top quilt and under quilt soon.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied gear wise. I'm sure i'll figure out some stuff I can ditch and need to buy, but it'll be more of a mental shakedown, if you know what I mean. Just want to see how I do on an extended trip with resupplies and everything.

Thanks for all the responses!