PDA

View Full Version : Is there another stop around Dennis Cove road?

shorembo
07-13-2012, 11:12
I am starting at Carver's gap and hiking north. I think I will do a takeout around Dennis Cove Road. Are there any other takeouts around the same area in case I don't make it as far (or go further)?

Lone Wolf
07-13-2012, 11:20
go 8 miles further to Hwy 321

Mundele
07-13-2012, 11:24
I think Hampton's next, then watauga lake. Not sure of trail miles.

Pedaling Fool
07-13-2012, 11:56
I think Hampton's next, then watauga lake. Not sure of trail miles.
Isn't the road that goes to Hampton (US 321) the same that's at Watuga Lake? BTW, that is ~9miles north of Dennis Cove (USFS 50).

The only other place to get off, that I see on the map is a side trail that goes to US 321, which puts you really close to Hampton, Tn. That side trail is somewhere in vicinity of Laruel Fork Shelter. But I don't see that side trail listed in my book, unless it's listed as a "Woods road"

CrumbSnatcher
07-13-2012, 12:05
before pond flats, you can take a left on the blue blaze
follow the river for 1 mile right into hampton
its around 5.5 miles past dennis cove road

Pedaling Fool
07-13-2012, 12:14
before pond flats, you can take a left on the blue blaze
follow the river for 1 mile right into hampton
its around 5.5 miles past dennis cove road
Yeah, that's what I'm looking at on my map and I think it's what is listed as a "Woods road" in my 2006 guide, which is a little before ponds flat (for NOBO'ers).

shorembo
07-13-2012, 13:22
So after Dennis Cove, I can follow the AT for another ~4 miles then take a 1 mile cutoff to Hampton. Are the Falls on this route?

CrumbSnatcher
07-13-2012, 13:58
you'll see the falls about a flat mile after dennis cove road
then a few easy miles to the blue blaze turn off(also a easy walk to hampton)

sarge95
07-13-2012, 14:02
It is 2.7 miles from Dennis Cove to the Blue Blaze. It is approx 1 mile from the Blue Blaze to 321. When the AT turns right and starts up Pond Mtn the Blue Blaze goes straight ahead following Laurel Fork to Hampton.

CrumbSnatcher
07-13-2012, 14:03
the correct mileage is
dennis cove road #414.1
laurel falls #415.4
side trail #416.8

Pedaling Fool
07-13-2012, 20:06
the correct mileage is
dennis cove road #414.1
laurel falls #415.4
side trail #416.8
Damn, I need a new trail guide :D

BabySue
07-14-2012, 00:51
Between 19E & Dennis Cove (hence before Dennis Cove going NOBO) there are a handful of road crossings, but none particularly close to Dennis Cove. There's Buck Mountain Road, Campbell Hollow Road, Bitter End, Walnut Mountain Road, and a more 4-wheel drive type access near the Lacy Trap trailhead.

The following isn't a correction to what others have said, just an effort to get it all in one place for you. At Dennis Cove Road there are resources both left and right (on the road, that is). Kincora Hostel is to the left (toward Hampton); Black Bear Resort is to the right. Headed NOBO from Dennis Cove Road, the hike is easy going all the way to Hampton. It's about a mile to the left turn which descends to the falls. The falls are essentially on the AT, while a blue blaze shelter trail is straight ahead at that same left. That is to say, if you suddenly find yourself following blue blazes, turn around and watch for the turn you missed. As you go down the steep steps, take joy that you're not going the other way. About the time you see the falls, watch to the right for the double blaze that marks the way down to Hampton, for you'll be coming back to it after visiting the falls. On your way NOBO after the falls you'll eventually come to a T intersection; blue blazes to the right ascend to the shelter so don't go there. White blazes descend to the left and take you to creek level. As noted in an earlier post, when you come to the next blue blaze, which is called the Hampton Blueline, it goes straight and the AT goes right. It would in fact be easy to get on the Blueline and not know you'd left the AT. The opposite would be difficult (accidentally taking the AT instead of the Blueline) because the AT begins a rigorous climb here. From this interaection it's one mile to the parking lot at 321 and another mile or so left (west) into anyplace in Hampton where you might want to go (such as Dollar General or McDonalds). Oh, there's a place or two on the Blueline where you can go left or right--take your pick for they are simply two ways to the same place, two sides of an oval, for example.