PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever encountered a place on the AT where you could NOT use a hammock?

jtlee1
07-14-2012, 10:09
I love my hammock, and have no desire to go back to my tent unless forced to. My concern is this - can I still use my hammock on the various 'balds' on the AT? What about the Smoky Mountain section? I hate the idea of being forced into vermin-infested shelters...:)

Would love to hear from hammockers that have been through those areas of the AT.

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2012, 10:16
Have you thought of taking the pads off your hiking pole - jamb in the ground 4 titanium stakes and trip tease string the hammock and crawl in?

You are just looking to stay dry right? A hammock is still a tent without a ground sheet, if you want to keep it clean space blanket the ground.

IF you don't have trip tease from EMS then get Concrete String from the hardware store.

jtlee1
07-14-2012, 10:29
I have thought of that in the event of an emergency (say a broken suspension strap or something strange like that). I just wondered how truly "bald" these AT locations really were. And how serious they are in the Smokies about forcing you to the shelters.

verasch
07-14-2012, 10:29
I've set up the hammock between two trees as a tent too. What's nice is that they don't need to be supporting any weight, since I'm just trying to prop the hammock up enough above ground to use as a bivy. In the high desert, this was accomplished with bushes, and I just used the fly as the groundcloth. A trashbag worked well on cooler/wet nights. Depending onwhat time I did this or how lazy, (or enebriated :D), I was, I may or may not use the poles to anchor out the sides. I've thought about getting those snow stakes from rei, but since I'm not in the desert and have poles with me anyway, it seems like unnecessary added weight.

However, as for your actual question, this is something I've wondered too. There are places in Maryland (not on the AT) that prohibit hanging. But I don't know about anywhere on the AT specifically. Ive never had a problem hanging in Massachusetts or New Hampshire.

johnnybgood
07-14-2012, 11:16
Above treeline in New Hampshire. C&O Canal in MD.

verasch
07-14-2012, 11:50
Above treeline in New Hampshire. C&O Canal in MD. (coming sobo into Harpers Ferry).

Well yes, above treeline you aren't allowed to hang a hammock (not sure where you could being above treeline), but technically you aren't supposed to camp above treeline at all there in most areas unless its an emergency.

MuddyWaters
07-14-2012, 16:08
Balds can be ...pretty bald. Think grass and bushes. But they dont go on forever and usually you are only a short distance from treeline.

You can hang your hammock in the porch area of many shelters. This will be appreciated by the people inside as you will be their first line of defense against a bear. Of course someone is also likely to stumble into you in the middle of the night taking a bathroom run, and scare the bejeezus out of you. Possibly not by accident.

Red Hat
07-14-2012, 16:51
... What about the Smoky Mountain section? I hate the idea of being forced into vermin-infested shelters...:)

Would love to hear from hammockers that have been through those areas of the AT.

I didn't have a problem using my hammock in the GSMNP, but it was April and in the middle of the Bubble... I would be one of the last folks into the shelter area, and they were full (oh, darn) so I had to use my hammock.

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2012, 18:48
Even when hiking in Colorado I would judge the distance to sunset and get below the tree line for night just to be close to a water source. Then sleep in.

Pendragon
07-23-2012, 23:33
Add Content

Wise Old Owl
07-23-2012, 23:36
serious?//all owls may know one degree of arc is a finger wide at arms length - 10 minutes

1azarus
07-24-2012, 07:09
if you love sleeping in your hammock, you can make it work for the entire length of the AT. Some struggling necessary in the Smokies -- where you can set up late in the eating area of the shelter or outside if overcrowded, skip camping on the balds, either stay in White Mountain huts or plan ahead and stay at the campgrounds (does require some high mileage days...). In general, it is easier/more flexible to use a hammock then a tent. Most flexible solution (...one I don't use, by the way) is to take a pad instead of an underquilt so you can sleep in a shelter or on the ground if you absolutely need to. Now that has never happened to me...

gunner76
07-25-2012, 19:31
Plus having a hammock makes it so easy to set up the hammock along the trail and take a afternoon nap

Blissful
07-25-2012, 19:45
There is still impact and use issues with hammocks regarding the ground ( you are still trampling vegetation ) and trees. Need to abide by regulations in the Smokies like everyone else and stay in shelter areas. Reservations required if not thru hiking.

Papa D
07-25-2012, 19:47
I don't prefer to hammock but I think that hanging is great and I support it - - especially for LNT stealth camping - - there are a few places (naturally) that wouldn't lend themselves to hanging - - above tree line in the whites for example but most places are good to go.