PDA

View Full Version : things hikers should and should not do

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 11:58
please use this thread for any concerns where actons of hikers need to be addressed.

I'll kick it,

making camp ner road crossing may not be the best idea.

conceal carry may not be the best idea.

hanging around town at a bar late night might not be a good idea.

old cheese can bring about the trots.

any other hiker concers?

nicksmith75
07-14-2012, 12:39
do not get set on fire.

Sarcasm the elf
07-14-2012, 12:46
Do not put actual rockets in your socks!

hikerboy57
07-14-2012, 12:48
Do not put actual rockets in your socks!
in fact, leave the rockets home altogether.
it can only lead to trouble.

just learn to trust your gut.
dont put yourself in dangerous situations to begin with.

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 12:59
in fact, leave the rockets home altogether.
it can only lead to trouble.

just learn to trust your gut.
dont put yourself in dangerous situations to begin with.Years ago, for a while, I would carry a rock in my back pocket. Seems there was some kids that use to like driving around my town, and throwing beer bottles out the window of there car, never got hit by one, but pretty darn close........"Yeah you missed me you butt licker" I like to think some good ol' fashion Karma is gonna catch up with these tools.

Sarcasm the elf
07-14-2012, 13:04
Years ago, for a while, I would carry a rock in my back pocket. Seems there was some kids that use to like driving around my town, and throwing beer bottles out the window of there car, never got hit by one, but pretty darn close........"Yeah you missed me you butt licker" I like to think some good ol' fashion Karma is gonna catch up with these tools.

Reminds me of Nicholas Cage at the end of The Weatherman:

People don't throw things at me anymore...

...maybe because I carry a bow around.

I don't know.

Biggie Master
07-14-2012, 13:07
Don't rub yourself down in bacon grease just before you crawl into your hammock for the night...

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 13:10
Reminds me of Nicholas Cage at the end of The Weatherman:

People don't throw things at me anymore...

...maybe because I carry a bow around.

I don't know.I thought you carried a 9mm? I never saw the weatherman. what was the bow for?

10-K
07-14-2012, 13:13
Don't be afraid to turn down a sketchy ride if you're hitching.

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 13:16
Don't rub yourself down in bacon grease just before you crawl into your hammock for the night...That sounds positively icky, especially during humid weather, gross, not to mention all the thru-hikers that could slip in during the night, and in the morning ask so what are we having for breakfast, you doing the cookin.

Sarcasm the elf
07-14-2012, 13:18
I thought you carried a 9mm? I never saw the weatherman. what was the bow for?

I only carry 20mm!

In the movie, there was a running bit that people kept throwing food out their car windows at Nicholas Cages character because they were mad at him for getting the weather forecast wrong. At the end of the movie he stared walking to his archery lessons, nobody threw food at him when he had the bow.

rocketsocks
Don't be afraid to turn down a sketchy ride if you're hitching.Agreed, take a incoming phone call, if you feel the need to explain away your choice to not take the ride.

Sarcasm the elf
Do you think they make UL bows and arrows that hikers could carry for self defense?

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 13:20
I only carry 20mm!

In the movie, there was a running bit that people kept throwing food out their car windows at Nicholas Cages character because they were mad at him for getting the weather forecast wrong. At the end of the movie he stared walking to his archery lessons, nobody threw food at him when he had the bow.Yeah-ya, I don't think I'd have much to say to a fella with a bow and an attitude either.

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 13:23
Do you think they make UL bows and arrows that hikers could carry for self defense?My long bow can't weigh more than about a pound and a half. My compound on the other hand is probably 4-5 lbs. those little hand held cross bows are pretty neat, but I fairly certain they'd be illegal in that type of setting just like a pistol'e.

20 mm, that's like a small cannon, hehehe

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 13:29
the hiker that got lit on fire had every right to be where he was, the idiots that did this horrible act have no feeling inside, and are dead morally. I'm sitting here shaking my head when I think about just f in unnecessary this whole cowardly act was, when did people get so dam Evil?

MuddyWaters
07-14-2012, 14:10
the hiker that got lit on fire had every right to be where he was, the idiots that did this horrible act have no feeling inside, and are dead morally. I'm sitting here shaking my head when I think about just f in unnecessary this whole cowardly act was, when did people get so dam Evil?

Some people have always been evil, as history shows quite well.

Water Rat
07-14-2012, 14:17
Don't run out of chocolate.

Never smear honey on a child's face so you can get a really cool picture of a bear interacting with the child. (Sometimes I wonder how humans have survived this long...)

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 14:19
Some people have always been evil, as history shows quite well.Yes that is true, just so senseless. I do believe in the goodness in folks, and when something like this comes along, it just blows it all to hell. While I do believe these acts are isolated to the really stupid and mostly young, it seems like we hear these type of incidents more often.....shame, what to do.I think Feral Bill mentions this "What can be done as a society" is confront the hate that some display, in attempt to stop it, or re-educate.Those last words are mine ,did want to put words in Bills mouth, but I think that's what he was getting at.

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 14:24
Don't run out of chocolate.

Never smear honey on a child's face so you can get a really cool picture of a bear interacting with the child. (Sometimes I wonder how humans have survived this long...)
A lemon wedge also provides a good picture of the youngins, but it also teaches them to distrust. Funny pics though, hehe

MuddyWaters
07-14-2012, 14:28
Carry a handgun, and use it, is the way to stop such people. The pacifist nature of people today is what is responsible for letting such scum exist.

hikerboy57
07-14-2012, 14:33
Keep the gun debate separate.it is illegal to carry. In many parts of the at.

Pedaling Fool
07-14-2012, 14:44
20 mm, that's like a small cannon, hehehe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t8ZpvW0WMo&feature=related

hikerboy57
07-14-2012, 14:46
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t8ZpvW0WMo&feature=related

how much does it weigh?

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 14:51
Carry a handgun, and use it, is the way to stop such people. The pacifist nature of people today is what is responsible for letting such scum exist.Lot's of women have recently joined the club where I shoot, glad to see that. We also have a teachers day at the range, along with family fun shoot,and turkey shoots.

Keep the gun debate separate.it is illegal to carry. In many parts of the at.Yep I know it is a seperate thread , but the/my intent of this thread was started for anything goes in a very general sort of way, just to keep it out of the Gettysburg thread, but if you want to bump the firearm thread, I'm down with that to.:) but gotta split,later

thecyclops
07-14-2012, 14:53
I bet lots of peeps are carrying heat on the AT just keeping quite about it....I know I do/would/will :)

Rasty
07-14-2012, 14:54

Would the 20mm cannon be a separate debate?:)

hikerboy57
07-14-2012, 15:03
No just guns

hikerboy57
07-14-2012, 15:12
i have a feeling if someone asked about hammocks today, the recommendation would be to carry a gun. funny that i grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods in NYC in the 70s and never needed a weapon.never.and i dont begrudge anyones right to carry or that they feel they need to carry, only that they dont need to be promoted so vigorously on this site.i believe the vast majority of humanity to be good. id rather play those odds than live in fear.and i wonder what the stats are regarding people who carry vs people who dont as far as violent attacks. i think that if you carry, you have a higher probability of being involved in a violent crime than if you didnt. i have nothing to support this except a sneaking suspicion.
again, i am neither pro gun or anti gun.

10-K
07-14-2012, 15:13
i have a feeling if someone asked about hammocks today, the recommendation would be to carry a gun. .

Or a Sawyer in-line water filter.

hikerboy57
07-14-2012, 15:15
Or a Sawyer in-line water filter.

whens your start date?im getting out of here aug 1.

tf bear
07-14-2012, 15:56
Travel in larger groups when off the trail and in town. Safety in numbers. An extra set of eyes to watch your back.

MuddyWaters
07-14-2012, 16:02

Statement had nothing to do with the AT specifically.

Without EZ targets, crimes of opportunity would be less, and criminals would be less brazen.

hikerboy57
07-14-2012, 17:07
Statement had nothing to do with the AT specifically.

Without EZ targets, crimes of opportunity would be less, and criminals would be less brazen.how would someone know you're carrying?
either way, if you want to carry, im cool with it, just personally dont see the need.

Feral Bill
07-14-2012, 17:15
Yes that is true, just so senseless. I do believe in the goodness in folks, and when something like this comes along, it just blows it all to hell. While I do believe these acts are isolated to the really stupid and mostly young, it seems like we hear these type of incidents more often.....shame, what to do.I think Feral Bill mentions this "What can be done as a society" is confront the hate that some display, in attempt to stop it, or re-educate.Those last words are mine ,did want to put words in Bills mouth, but I think that's what he was getting at. I was thinking more of getting past the glorification of violence that permeates our society. Media, everyday metaphors, chest thumping posts, calling for the fools who did this acts heads, etc. all legitimize violence and feed the sick minds that inflict violence on others. I'm not holding my breath waiting.

Feral Bill
07-14-2012, 17:20
the hiker that got lit on fire had every right to be where he was, the idiots that did this horrible act have no feeling inside, and are dead morally. I'm sitting here shaking my head when I think about just f in unnecessary this whole cowardly act was, when did people get so dam Evil? Our close cousins, the chimps, display the same types of behavior. Thay would put it's origins back a few million years, at least.

Sugarfoot
07-14-2012, 21:09
Bonobos are our equally close cousins. Make love, not war.

Theosus
07-14-2012, 22:15
Some people have always been evil, as history shows quite well.

Jesus said he would get rid of rhe wicked people.
Vishnu said he would get rid of the wicked people.
Odin said he would get rid of the Ice Giants.

I dont see any Ice Giants, do you?

I would say buy a smaller pack. You wont carry extra BS if you dont have room for it.

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2012, 22:39
Our close cousins, the chimps, display the same types of behavior. Thay would put it's origins back a few million years, at least.

I never saw this coming.....Really? 16626

I understand where you are coming from chimps do kill by tribes - but why drag that into this?

pervy_sage
07-14-2012, 22:51
On the "to do" side:

Have a method, not a plan.
Know yourself.
Understand the golden rule should only be applied to those who seem to give a damn.
Remember it is only a mistake if you didn't learn something, especially if it was someone else's mistake.
Take chances, but be aware of the possible consequences.
Always carry a clean towel

On the "don't do" side:

Don't Panic
Don't piss into the wind
Don't say you are sorry, but know when to say you were wrong.
Don't worry about being the first or the best.
Don't judge the choices of others
Don't limit your perspective
Don't drink (or smoke weed) while actually hiking
Don't impose your beliefs on others, unless they ask.
Don't deliberately annoy people because you can.
Don't attempt to educate people who are not open to being taught.
Don't take chances with consequences you are unwilling to accept.

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 22:57
I was thinking more of getting past the glorification of violence that permeates our society. Media, everyday metaphors, chest thumping posts, calling for the fools who did this acts heads, etc. all legitimize violence and feed the sick minds that inflict violence on others. I'm not holding my breath waiting.Yes, like video games "grand theft auto", where the player is the bad guy who goes on a rampage stealing cars and killing who ever gets in there way, It definitely desensitize people, but yes I'll not hold my breath by some of the game manufacturers. Of coarse this is just one small example an symptom of a ill society.

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2012, 22:58
missed one

Don't do what Bear Grylls does.

pervy_sage
07-14-2012, 23:06
missed one

So eating off a frozen dead animal carcass is not a good idea? And here I just bought a whole armory of B.G. knives for the occasion.

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 23:13
So eating off a frozen dead animal carcass is not a good idea? And here I just bought a whole armory of B.G. knives for the occasion.look at it this way, your x-mas shopping has already started.;)

pervy_sage
07-14-2012, 23:32
look at it this way, your x-mas shopping has already started.;)

Re-gifting the knives will be easy, but what to do with the Glock, crossbow, taser, fishing poles, parachute, body armor, and 200 rounds of ammo.

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 23:49
Re-gifting the knives will be easy, but what to do with the Glock, crossbow, taser, fishing poles, parachute, body armor, and 200 rounds of ammo.Open a Army Navy store:)

Sarcasm the elf
07-14-2012, 23:51
missed one

Like this ???

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6551577/man-vs-wild-rpg

Rasty
07-14-2012, 23:54
look at it this way, your x-mas shopping has already started.;)

Re-gifting the knives will be easy, but what to do with the Glock, crossbow, taser, fishing poles, parachute, body armor, and 200 rounds of ammo.

You will still need those. It's all items on the ten urban thru-hiking essentials list. Looks like you may need to add another 1000 rounds.

rocketsocks
07-15-2012, 00:02
You will still need those. It's all items on the ten urban thru-hiking essentials list. Looks like you may need to add another 1000 rounds.And a airplane to jump from while using the parachute.

pervy_sage
07-15-2012, 00:14
And a airplane to jump from while using the parachute.

Would that be classified under blue, yellow, or brown blazing?

OzJacko
07-15-2012, 00:16
Everything pervy_sage listed plus..
Don't discuss gear at campsites....:D

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 06:43
200 rounds?
i thought i already established5 as the correct# of bullets.

rocketsocks
07-15-2012, 06:52
And a airplane to jump from while using the parachute.

Would that be classified under blue, yellow, or brown blazing?I've slept and thought hard on it, and can only say, "I guess that depends if the chute opens or not", a failed chute would most certainly fall under brown blazing I think.

moytoy
07-15-2012, 07:18
I came upon a group of people yesterday trying to kill a rattle snake in the Ocala NF. Fortunately the snake got away.
I thought of this thread.
Hikers shouldn't kill snakes!

coach lou
07-15-2012, 07:26
200 rounds?

You need that sixth round incase the chute doesn't open

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 07:30
Lead blazing?

rocketsocks
07-15-2012, 07:39
Things a hiker shouldn't do....forget the safety's on!:eek:

WalksInDark
07-15-2012, 09:04
Never put your toilet paper or first aid kit at the bottom of your pack.

coach lou
07-15-2012, 09:21
Never put your toilet paper or first aid kit at the bottom of your pack.

Or Raincoat!

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2012, 10:00
if above 70 degrees do not reach for the raincoat... natures coolant.

pervy_sage
07-15-2012, 10:04
200 rounds?

Yes, yes, but I'm keeping my katana.

Water Rat
07-15-2012, 10:19
missed one

That's for sure! Whenever I turn on the tv, the guy has managed to find himself stranded somewhere else! Sheesh! From the amount of times he has found himself in some pretty messed up situations, you would think he should be one to stay in the city. :rolleyes: