PDA

View Full Version : What piece of gear did you leave behind and wish you didn't?

Nutbrown
07-14-2012, 20:57
In my quest for the near ul pack weight, I am leaving a lot of things behind. I know 99% of the stuff should be left, but have you ever dropped something from you pack list to later in the hike smack yourself for?

MuddyWaters
07-14-2012, 21:05
No. I do get in a hurry and accidentally leave things though.

Once, I left my spoon. At dinner I scratched my head, and then discovered that I didnt even need a spoon. Freezer bag cooking, you knead the bag to mix. Tear off (bite) a bottom corner, and simply squeeze into mouth. Much easier and neater. Since that day, I dont even bring a spoon, I have nothing to use it for.

I forgot several things, didnt miss them. What I have found it that I still bring things I dont need.

Hand sanitizer...never use. Wash with water and soap instead.
Sunscreen ..nope. Never use it.

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2012, 22:52
Sleeping bag once.........damn cold night

Thirsty DPD
07-14-2012, 23:12
Fuel bottle..........xolar cooking

Thirsty DPD
07-14-2012, 23:14
Fuel bottle..........xolar cooking

solar cooking

rocketsocks
07-14-2012, 23:18
Hiking stick, I don't like to hike with one, but I don't like not haveing one when I needed it, especialy on the downhills, so for now the sticks back in.

Nutbrown
07-14-2012, 23:36
Fuel bottle.... that's one of the paranoias I am dealing with. I always bring too much, so this time, I'm really trying to figure out what I will use. I'd much rather have too much though.

verasch
07-14-2012, 23:51
Not enough whisky.

Double Wide
07-14-2012, 23:54
TP.

Asking your trail mates to 'borrow' some is bad, because then you have no chance of being discreet and wandering off unseen...

SCRUB HIKER
07-15-2012, 00:26
Camp shoes. I've used some form of them (usually rubber flip-flops) my whole life, but a few weeks ago I went backpacking in SE Oregon and thought I'd try going without them. I regretted it within about 5 minutes of stopping for the first night, and then each one of the next three nights. Won't go hiking without them again.

theinfamousj
07-15-2012, 01:18
I have forgotten quite a few things. On my most recent trip, I forgot my drinking tube to go with my platypus. It makes a big difference in hiking style (at least for me) and hydration level when I have to put my water container in my hand, unscrew the cap, drink, rescrew the cap, and replace in its place, as opposed to just sip from an always-available tube. I am more likely to decide that it isn't worth the effort in the tube-less situation and my hydration suffers.

I also once forgot my hiking poles. I missed them, though was able to make the trek without them.

SunnyWalker
07-23-2012, 22:47
My get up and go.

Ender
07-24-2012, 09:45
Never anything on a thru hike, but on short hikes I've forgotten to pack things. I forgot my spoon once, though I just carved myself a set of chopsticks and that solved that. Forgot my headlamp once and that was probably the most annoying thing I forgot at home... made getting to camp early that much more important. Forgot my hiking poles once, that sucked on the downhills, but I learned that trip that it's actually much easier and faster to not use them on flatter trail.

Hoop
07-24-2012, 11:43
Another forgotten spoon - removed the bark off a small branch and had nifty 3-tined fork that worked great.

4shot
07-24-2012, 12:19
didn't forget anything but certainly wished for either a hat or some sunscreen early in my hike. The trees in March/April are bare of leaves and I got sunburn (happened to several of us). Just one of those things I didn't anticipate. A few other times I wished I had my Katadyn filter to pump water when things started drying up but as with sunscreen this is not necessarily something that I forgot - I just chose to hike without it.

DogPaw
07-24-2012, 14:35
Water. I actually forgot my water once. The walk home was very unpleasant, but mercifully two other hikers noticed my plight and gave me some water and a bit of powerade. As to actual tools that I keep forgetting, I keep losing my pocket knife and my rope, almost always on the day I'm inspired to whittle something/bind something/climb something.

JAK
07-24-2012, 20:13
Forgot lighter and/or matches on a day-hike once. Bummer. I was all geared up for tea.

thecyclops
07-24-2012, 20:18
16728 Def artwork....

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 20:38
16728 Def artwork....Man, I like that, real nice looking piece of work...great job!

I like the use of the drop down shaddows

and the moon is way cool

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 20:42
Here's mine.....

I guess If there's one piece of gear you don't want to forget....it might be this

Don't leave home without it, a real knife16729

GoldenBear
07-24-2012, 20:48
For various reasons I have three (count 'em, three!) packs of first aid supplies. Last week I packed only two of them, and found the one I left had the scissors. Every try to cut mole skin without scissors or a knife? It's not easy!! A step that should have taken ten seconds ended up taking ten minutes. I'll now make certain to take the scissors AND to carry a small knife.

I also have forgotten my spoon. I now pack several plastic ones -- one to use, one to break, one to give away, and one to have as a last spare.

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 20:52
For various reasons I have three (count 'em, three!) packs of first aid supplies. Last week I packed only two of them, and found the one I left had the scissors. Every try to cut mole skin without scissors or a knife? It's not easy!! A step that should have taken ten seconds ended up taking ten minutes. I'll now make certain to take the scissors AND to carry a small knife.

I also have forgotten my spoon. I now pack several plastic ones -- one to use, one to break, one to give away, and one to have as a last spare.+1 on the give away spoon, I always have extree band aids and the like, many here get squeeky on the goods, but don't forget your fellow hikers, they may need a hand....it works!

thecyclops
07-24-2012, 20:54
Here's mine.....

I guess If there's one piece of gear you don't want to forget....it might be this

Don't leave home without it, a real knife16729
excellent!!!!

Hairbear
07-24-2012, 20:58
rain fly, dont normaly use it unless its going to rain.yup you guessed it,hammocks are bird baths without the fly.Had to sleep on the groung with the bottom of the hammock as a roof and laid on the screen got soaked on bottom from the rain ,and on top from the sweat.

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 21:30
rain fly, dont normaly use it unless its going to rain.yup you guessed it,hammocks are bird baths without the fly.Had to sleep on the groung with the bottom of the hammock as a roof and laid on the screen got soaked on bottom from the rain ,and on top from the sweat. Excellent use of the old adage, "One Mans ceiling, is another Mans floor" ;)

max patch
07-24-2012, 21:31
Sleeping bag once.........damn cold night

I did the same thing on a weekend trip...just made it a looong day hike instead.

ChinMusic
07-24-2012, 21:37
Tent stakes

Found that sticks work pretty good.

ferdEggmont
07-27-2012, 20:12
extra pair of socks