PDA

View Full Version : Where to get individual Servings - Sea Salt

Wise Old Owl
07-14-2012, 23:56
I do not go into fast food places, i manage to stay out as much as possible, but a reacuring theme is where can I go to get.... Yes there are on line places that will sell you some... but the last thread was where can I get Smoky Salsa and that turned out to be Taco Bell has added different flavor packs...

I am a huge fan of the lower sodium Sea Salt and discovered Wendys now has it.

So I collect a few here and there and toss into the fridge until I need them.

Rasty
07-15-2012, 00:11
I do not go into fast food places, i manage to stay out as much as possible, but a reacuring theme is where can I go to get.... Yes there are on line places that will sell you some... but the last thread was where can I get Smoky Salsa and that turned out to be Taco Bell has added different flavor packs...

I am a huge fan of the lower sodium Sea Salt and discovered Wendys now has it.

So I collect a few here and there and toss into the fridge until I need them.

WOO why are you storing salt in the fridge?

Rasty
07-15-2012, 00:24
Try this

www.selinanaturally.com/celtic-sea-saltreg-brand-fine-ground-50-to-go-pack-P5042.aspx

10-K
07-15-2012, 08:54
Try this

www.selinanaturally.com/celtic-sea-saltreg-brand-fine-ground-50-to-go-pack-P5042.aspx

Tidal Creek Co-op has it... :)

treesloth
07-15-2012, 09:16
WOO, here's a salt idea for you:

http://gizmodo.com/5913381/season-your-food-with-salt-from-real-human-tears

Disgusting, I know.

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2012, 10:25
I don't store salt in the fridge - but the flavor packs like ketchup and other things I keep in the fridge till I need them. I wasn't clear. I grab a small handful of stuff from these places and save them for hiking. I don't see the sense of ordering over the internet.

very funny treesloth.

10-K
07-15-2012, 11:13
I grab a small handful of stuff from these places and save them for hiking. I don't see the sense of ordering over the internet.

People like you are why Tacos cost .99....

:)

Miner
07-15-2012, 12:09
Actually, it costs more to take a few here and there since you have to spend gas to go each time and those individual packets at mimimus.com are pretty cheap; especially since it seems you said you don't normally go into fast food places so the gas your spending is extra money anyway. But for me, its mainly about being lazy. I can order online while sitting at my computer and don't have to go out. I'll pay for that pleasure.

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2012, 13:12
10-K my second paying job (1978) was Taco Bell in Chicago and yes they were 99 cents back then and very GROSS fried greasy messes. A 350 pound guy came in and ordered 20 and sat down and ate them all.

Thanks Miner, I drive 200+ miles daily - its all paid by the small company I work for and its their car. It only causes me to age more.

Spokes
07-15-2012, 13:17
Why not buy it in bulk then do the soda straw trick (as mentioned here before) to repackage it? Sounds like putting sea salt in them is better than neosporin.

Plus it'll prolly save you tons of money over those store bought individual packets...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85406-Homemade-neosporin-packs

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2012, 13:29
Funny Spokes.:cool:

Water Rat
07-15-2012, 18:04
10-K my second paying job (1978) was Taco Bell in Chicago and yes they were 99 cents back then and very GROSS fried greasy messes. A 350 pound guy came in and ordered 20 and sat down and ate them all.

Thanks Miner, I drive 200+ miles daily - its all paid by the small company I work for and its their car. It only causes me to age more.

The image of ANY non-hiker sitting down to eat 20 tacos just completely grossed me out. Talk about a gut-bomb!

MuddyWaters
07-15-2012, 18:13
make your own.

1) iron one end of a clear drinking straw closed
2) put a little salt in
3) iron straw to seal
4) put a little salt ini
5) iron straw to seal
6) put a little salt in
7) iron straw to seal
8) put a little salt in
9) iron straw to seal
10) cut straw apart into neatly sealed sections

Odd Man Out
07-15-2012, 21:29
...I am a huge fan of the lower sodium Sea Salt and discovered Wendys now has it. ....

I like sea salt too. It tastes good and doesn't have the additives of most table salt. But it is a bit of marketing hype to claim it is lower in sodium. Technically, it is, But whereas regular salt is about 40% sodium, sea salt is about 39% sodium, so the difference is marginal at best. Or to put it another way, if you are worried about too much sodium in your diet, switching to sea salt would be like trying to lose weight eating a "diet" ice cream sundae made without the cherry off the top.

Spokes
07-15-2012, 21:45
make your own.

1) iron one end of a clear drinking straw closed
2) put a little salt in
3) iron straw to seal
4) put a little salt ini
5) iron straw to seal
6) put a little salt in
7) iron straw to seal
8) put a little salt in
9) iron straw to seal
10) cut straw apart into neatly sealed sections

........... What he said.

MuddyWaters
07-15-2012, 22:36
actually, the specific salt brand he referred to is considerably lower sodium, of course its much higher potassium. Something like half to 2/3 the Na.

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2012, 22:40
OK you all win... Here is another the wife found...Kernel Seasons Popcorn seasoning. Its butter buds at half the cost and twice the flavor
16648 works on a lot of different foods after re hydrating.

grayfox
07-15-2012, 23:02
You might try minimus, if you don't mind paying they have lots of interesting stuff in small packets. They ship free if you spend $20.

I got some salt that had a slightly smokey flavor that was very good on rice and eggs.

verasch
07-15-2012, 23:30
Why not buy it in bulk then do the soda straw trick (as mentioned here before) to repackage it? Sounds like putting sea salt in them is better than neosporin.

Plus it'll prolly save you tons of money over those store bought individual packets...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?85406-Homemade-neosporin-packs

Just don't confuse the neosprin ones from the salt ones. Totally different outcome at that point.

Wise Old Owl
07-16-2012, 00:03
Yea the look of sucking canal water as the Neosporin shrinks the lips and turns them inside out.

Odd Man Out
07-16-2012, 13:29
actually, the specific salt brand he referred to is considerably lower sodium, of course its much higher potassium. Something like half to 2/3 the Na.

I checked some on-line sources for the analysis of sea water and commercial sea salt and learned some interesting things.

Nearly all of the cations in sea water are either sodium, magnesium, calcium, and potassium.
Although the composition of sea water varies from place to place, in the open ocean, the ratio of these relative to each other is approximately this (these are relative numbers of atoms):

Na / Mg / Ca / K
47 / 5.3 / 1 / 1
or in other words, about 86.5% of the cations are sodium ions.

So in sea water, sodium is replaced mostly with magnesium salts and lesser amounts of calciium and potassium campared to pure NaCl.

Interestingly, the balance of cations in sea salt is not the same as sea water.

For the Celtic brand (linked above), the distribution is this:

Na / Mg / Ca / K
466 / 6.2 / 1.5 / 1
So 98.2% of the cations are sodium ions

The lowest sodium ratio I could find was some Hawaiian where sodium ions accounted for about 95% of the cations.

It seems the "low sodium" numbers listed for some of the sea salts comes from the fact that their analysis lists 10% to 15% water.