PDA

View Full Version : Homemade hammock

Sp2Go2Adventure
04-23-2005, 14:03
Wondering if someone might be able to give me instructions to make a good backpacking hammock. It would be great if it was not very complicated to make as well. Something that will last a while and isn't to heavy or bulky. Thanks

SGT Rock
04-23-2005, 14:12
Ed Speer sells patterns and kits so you can make your own.

WhiteMtns
04-23-2005, 15:41
you've probably already seen it...but the imrisk.com site has some good info. it's no problem to make a test hammock without sewing. I've just completed a more intricate design, but even it has only three hours of work involved so far...

a ten by five recatangle of material makes a roomy hammock that can wrap completely around you as a peapod if desired. Just keep folding the sides into the middle to bunch it up evenly. once I achieved a 1.5" bundle, I clamped the ends in wood (paint stirrers) and drilled holes. heat sealed them, passed each end of a two foot piece of rope through, six wraps and a knot. The end result is a loop of rope on either end. Add a gated clip or 'biner...and clip to the webbing tree hugger straps. 30 second set-up and 15 second take down time.

a knotted or whipped end saves time and complexity...or you can always experiment and invent...which is the best part.

Just Jeff
04-24-2005, 15:28
I'd be careful on the "no-sewing" version. If you don't hem the long sides, they're more likely to tear and dump you out on the ground...happened to Coy yesterday in Hot Springs, as a matter of fact.

Risk's site is awesome (www.imrisk.com (http://www.imrisk.com)). I have some stuff on mine, and I'm about to put some more pics up soon (link below). Check Ed Speer's site (www.speerhammocks.com (http://www.speerhammocks.com)) and read his book (www.hammockcamping.com) (http://www.hammockcamping.com)) ... it's worth it.

Otherwise, just search for "homemade hammock" or "lightweight and hammock" and see what comes up!

Good luck creating, and let us know how it turns out!

flyfisher
04-25-2005, 06:19
I'd be careful on the "no-sewing" version. If you don't hem the long sides, they're more likely to tear and dump you out on the ground...happened to Coy yesterday in Hot Springs, as a matter of fact.

I was wondering if that might have been what happend to Coy.

The test hammock version is mostly meant for a couple nights to find out if sleeping in a hammock feels good to a hiker. The one I built had nice strong selvege on each of the long edges and never gave me a problem.

True enough, a simple hem along the long edges would add a lot of strength, especially if sewn with a zigzig stitch.

titanium_hiker
05-18-2005, 20:06
I have a "risk-esk" type hammock. I like it so much I sleep in it every night. :) no really. I do. Inside. My parents think I'm nuts. I would definitly recommend risk's stuff. really easy to do, and packs down small- as small as my sleeping bag.

titanium_geek

The Hammocker
05-22-2005, 15:42
wow this topic has been re posted at least 50 times. Really makes you wonder:-?

titanium_hiker
05-22-2005, 17:40
as per the hammocker- this has been covered before- search the homemade forum.

titanium_hiker