PDA

View Full Version : Want to share a slackpack in April 2013?

Slow n' Steady
07-15-2012, 04:43
I am considering the Georgia slackpack offered by hikerhostel.com
that provides a gradual start to a thru hike. As an older hiker, I will need all the support I can get. The service that is offered is pricey for a solo hiker but can be shared which would reduce the cost considerably--from $500 down to about $300 a person. That would include a week
Of shuttling, slackpacking, breakfasts, hot showers and a bunk. If you are interested, please let me know. Believe it or not, reservations will need to be made soon. Check out the hikerhostel.com website.

crazydave1234
10-11-2012, 20:47
My wife and I might be interrested. We will start on Either April 1st or 2nd.

max patch
10-11-2012, 20:58
For those that are interested in this sort of thing Warren Doyle is also doing something similar starting on 3 different dates in 2013. $300 and you sleep in your tent next to the van that has shuttled your gear and food. I'll wave hello as I hike by.

crazydave1234
10-11-2012, 22:26
Which of the 2 plans are you interrested in?

11.25 miles per day plan which would be just about $274.00 for each of the 3 people or..

16.9 miles per day which would be about $200.00 for each of the 3 people

The second one will save 2 days on the state of GA

trapper
10-21-2012, 08:01
For those that are interested in this sort of thing Warren Doyle is also doing something similar starting on 3 different dates in 2013. $300 and you sleep in your tent next to the van that has shuttled your gear and food. I'll wave hello as I hike by.
read an article in magazine (don't remember which one) about this guy he is a little on the crazy side don't think id want anything to do with him. he claims to have did an AT thru without a shower.

WingedMonkey
10-21-2012, 08:23
read an article in magazine (don't remember which one) about this guy he is a little on the crazy side don't think id want anything to do with him. he claims to have did an AT thru without a shower.

Got to love a source that can't be remembered.

10-K
10-21-2012, 08:48

"Some people say...."

:) <-- requisite smiley

jakedatc
10-21-2012, 08:55
"Some people say...."

:) <-- requisite smiley
Stig?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCacWIDBFl4

max patch
10-21-2012, 09:52

Give the guy a break, I can't remember off the top of my head the original source of everything I read either.

I'm sure trapper is referring to last years Backpacker magazine article; page 2 references 2 thru hikes without shower:

http://www.backpacker.com/august-2011-warren-down-appalachian-trail/destinations/15824

I can not imagine a worse way to do a "thru-hike" than as a part of Mr. Doyles "expeditions."

I like what Jack Tarlin says on page 5:

But the very notion of a group hike--especially one kept on a rigid schedule--appalls many conventional thru-hikers, who tend to see themselves as Thoreauvian individualists. "He's not making their dreams come true. He's crushing their dreams," charges Jack Tarlin, who completed seven consecutive annual thru-hikes from 1997 through 2003. "In convincing these poor sheep to participate in a hike that is essentially his, and in convincing them that their only hope for a successful thru-hike is to follow his leadership, what he actually does is prevent these poor souls from finding out what they're capable of achieving on their own."

Slo-go'en
10-21-2012, 11:15
I've never met Warren, but I have met a number of his AT institute graduates, all who all had good things to say about the program. These people were much better prepared to hike the AT then those who had to learn as they went. Inexperianced (and often somewhat clueless) hikers are a suprisingly large number of those who start a thru-hike. I don't know if this relates at all to his shuttle service, but I imagine advice comes with the package.

Personally, I don't think Georgia is that hard, although it can seem that way to inexperianced and/or out of shape hikers just starting out. But I don't know if slack packing the first 80 miles or so is the best way to get into shape or gain any experiance. It will be easier, but I think you need to lug that full pack the first 7-10 days through Georgia to shake out your gear, learn how to use it and get ready for North Carolina. North Carolina gets significantly harder then GA, like right away.

Pedaling Fool
10-21-2012, 11:31
I just can't get over the fact that there are so many environmentally-minded people that hike and talk about communing with nature, blah, blah, blah... Yet they're willing to expend so much gas to support their hike. Isn't the internal combustion engine supposed to be the most egregious invention :rolleyes:

DavidL
10-21-2012, 12:06
This April, I used hiker hostel for the night before the trail, a shuttle to trail head (springer mountain parking lot), a shuttle from the trail (at the end of Georgia, and another night before shuttling home. The owners were extremely professional and the place was very clean. So, I would highly recommend them. You must "hike or your own hike", but if you are concerned about the beginning, I would definitely recommend low-mileage days. It is worth the money. You might want to slowly carry more and more weight as you "slack-pack", because you got to get used to the weight. On your last day of slack packing, you probably want to carry a full pack (with only one days worth of food), because that night you will have one more opportunity to get rid of unneeded gear at the hostel.

trapper
10-21-2012, 13:53
Got to love a source that can't be remembered.monkey....i do lots of reading sorry i did not remember the publication it came from....does it really matter though...it was like a year ago...do you remember every source of info that you have in your head? if so your awesome...you don't have to be a dick about it

WingedMonkey
10-21-2012, 16:27
monkey....i do lots of reading sorry i did not remember the publication it came from....does it really matter though...it was like a year ago...do you remember every source of info that you have in your head? if so your awesome...you don't have to be a dick about it

Of course I don't remember the source for everything I read. But then I don't post facts without sources, gossip maybe I might.

I have hiked with both Jack and Warren many years ago, so if I called either one crazy it would be from knowledge, not from what I read in a magazine or on Whiteblaze.

I've never met you, so I won't call you anything, not even dick.

10-K
10-21-2012, 16:39
I've never met you, so I won't call you anything, not even dick.

You forgot the smiley again....

dangit.

10-K
10-21-2012, 16:40
Hike with Warren, hike with Jack. Hike by yourself or with others.

I wouldn't let what Jack or Warren think about the way I hike matter for a nanosecond.

It really doesn't matter you know.

WingedMonkey
10-21-2012, 16:53
:p

You forgot the smiley again....

dangit.

Something is screwed with my post abilities. It won't let me post smileys after my post, but it will let me before posts, and that makes it impossible to quote a post and then add smiley.

10-K
10-21-2012, 17:23
You know you can type a colon immediately followed by a right parenthesis and the forum software will make a smiley out of it, right?

HikerMom58
10-21-2012, 17:27
Well right 10-K it doesn't matter and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. OMG... what happened here is- WM jumped on trapper insulting him for not remembering the source of something he read. That fact had nothing to do with his opinion about what he read but that's what gets the whole thing started. Then, it goes from there... Wow! So in the end, it comes out that trapper is not accepted for his opinion of a man that WM has a different opinion about.. In fact, WM actually met/hiked with Warren in person.

I've met Warren, in person, myself... I think he's pretty cool, from the lil bit I know about him. Others may not agree.

Trapper- I don't think you are wrong, if that's your opinion, to think he's a lil crazy.. you might feel differently about him if you met him in person tho. The real issue is that WM didn't agree with your opinion of Warren but instead of saying that in a respectful manner- he chose to insult you. You reacted to that insult... no surprise there.

Respect needs to be earned
Not everyone is opposed to someone respectfully disagreeing with them & may even appreicate it, in the end.

It has taken me a long time to learn this.............but it's true.

WingedMonkey
10-21-2012, 17:42
WM jumped on trapper insulting him for not remembering the source of something he read.
The real issue is that WM didn't agree with your opinion of Warren but instead of saying that in a respectful manner- he chose to insult you.

You really do have a vivid imagination don't you?

10-K
10-21-2012, 18:06
I think we're all unscathed here...

atmilkman
10-21-2012, 18:14
Doyle is a self proclaimed minimalist and he'll tell you himself that he is "out there" and his way is not for everybody.

max patch
10-21-2012, 19:29
Doyle is a self proclaimed minimalist and he'll tell you himself that he is "out there" and his way is not for everybody.

He may think himself a "minimalist", but "minimalists" don't have someone driving a van up the trail just so they can save a few pounds on the back.

crazydave1234
10-21-2012, 19:53
The only reason that I considered this is that my wife has never done any serious hiking and I thought that this would be an easy way to break her into the trail. I like the idea of gradually increasing the pack weight untill we would be done Georgia. I want her to enjoy the trip, she thinks I am crazy for wanting to do this, but is willing to come along anyway.

10-K
10-21-2012, 20:16
The only reason that I considered this is that my wife has never done any serious hiking and I thought that this would be an easy way to break her into the trail. I like the idea of gradually increasing the pack weight untill we would be done Georgia. I want her to enjoy the trip, she thinks I am crazy for wanting to do this, but is willing to come along anyway.

Then you should do it.

Don't let what someone else thinks about it affect your decision.

HikerMom58
10-21-2012, 21:21
I think we're all unscathed here...

That's is excellent 10-K ...... LOL!! :)

WM- I think you are alright... I may have a vivid imagination.

trapper
10-22-2012, 21:00
Of course I don't remember the source for everything I read. But then I don't post facts without sources, gossip maybe I might.

I have hiked with both Jack and Warren many years ago, so if I called either one crazy it would be from knowledge, not from what I read in a magazine or on Whiteblaze.

I've never met you, so I won't call you anything, not even dick.your the one who took an attitude about it. read the article and they say the guy is running psychology experiments rather than hiking with a group.. minimallist with a van following him...yea right.

1azarus
10-22-2012, 21:18
I do think slack packing Georgia in a really small group sounds like a great way to start to get into shape and to boast confidence -- and also sounds like a very different experience then vanning the whole way. You can master the self-reliance stuff north of the GA border. I hope you go for it and have a great time. Remember, nobody has a lock on the right way to thru hike.

10-K
10-23-2012, 15:29
Lazarus, that is so reasonable that it has to be wrong...:)

Good suggestion and advice.

Slow n' Steady
11-18-2012, 10:44
Wow! This thread took on a life of its own! I just returned to see what the replies were, and I was astounded at the conversation. Thanks for all your comments. I have decided to go with the Hiker Hostel folks and have contacted them. A slow start seems appropriate, considering my trail name is Slow n Steady. Although I have section hiked the AT from Maine to VA and did the Long Trail in 2004, I am now older (61) and want to do all that I can to save my joints and move at a slow and steady pace. If anyone would like to join me to split costs, I will be starting on March 31, do the Approach Trail, spend a night on the trail, then hike on the next day to a gap (can't remember which one) and stay at Hiker Hostel for a bit of slackpacking. It should take me about a week to get through Georgia.