PDA

View Full Version : How much money per week?

Feral Nature
07-15-2012, 09:28
What is the minimum amount that someone can spend per week and not starve? I'm trying to figure out my budget for a thru-hike.

Astro
07-15-2012, 10:12
I believe that depends heavily on a few factors such as how much time you spend in town, how flexible your diet is, and how much cooking and freeze meals do you do compared to buying prepared foods such as Mountain House. I know have already seen several threads on this, you may want to search on those while you wait for replys. Also providing details about the variables above might help you get better answers.

Feral Nature
07-15-2012, 10:28
ok, thanks.

Jeff
07-15-2012, 10:37
Search for lots of threads dealing with this question.

Here is an old article on the subject, but still mostly accurate. The dollar amounts he writes about is now 10 years old:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?177-Ideas-for-an-Inexpensive-Thru-hike-(Hiker-Advice)

Feral Nature
07-15-2012, 11:08
Thanks, I have found some threads on budget as well.

10-K
07-15-2012, 11:23
Texas, it depends on what kind of hike you want to have and your budget.

Some people hike on a shoestring, others have more financial means and thus more options.

The biggest issue with not having enough is obviously having to get off the trail because you run out of money which really, really sucks if you spent years dreaming and planning.

Me, personally - I would feel very sure that $7000 would get me through with hopefully a few thousand left when I finished. This is the amount I would consider "safe".

Remember, you don't disappear when you finish - you have to go back home - and if you don't have a job waiting or more savings then you have to deal with the stress of scrambling for money. This is why I would stress leaving with enough to guarantee enough to finish with great odds on having a good stash left when I was done.

I would not really want to start with less than $4000 - at best I would prepare myself for a really long section hike that *maybe* might go all the way if I were careful. But, I like a bed and real food at least once a week and I tend to spend a lot of money in towns - not everyone is like that.

You're profile says you're 56 years old so I'm guessing that you've lived long enough to know all this stuff already.

verasch
07-15-2012, 12:24
Texas, it depends on what kind of hike you want to have and your budget.

Some people hike on a shoestring, others have more financial means and thus more options.

The biggest issue with not having enough is obviously having to get off the trail because you run out of money which really, really sucks if you spent years dreaming and planning.

Me, personally - I would feel very sure that $7000 would get me through with hopefully a few thousand left when I finished. This is the amount I would consider "safe".

Remember, you don't disappear when you finish - you have to go back home - and if you don't have a job waiting or more savings then you have to deal with the stress of scrambling for money. This is why I would stress leaving with enough to guarantee enough to finish with great odds on having a good stash left when I was done.

I would not really want to start with less than $4000 - at best I would prepare myself for a really long section hike that *maybe* might go all the way if I were careful. But, I like a bed and real food at least once a week and I tend to spend a lot of money in towns - not everyone is like that.

You're profile says you're 56 years old so I'm guessing that you've lived long enough to know all this stuff already.

How exactly does that money divy up? Does this include all the purchases you make to get equipment, or is this the actual dollar amount you have at the beginning of the hike?

I mean, if I am one of those (I'm getting this from an old thread somewhere) people who are used to an old car that needs a lot of work and therefore need to carefully plan my hike accordingly, so i save up for mail drops along the way (say what you will, but i like getting mail, even if its from myself :D), would that figure be tied into doing that sort of thing? Does this figure include fees and permits too?

I mean, its just really confusing to me, since your figure of 8 grand over 180 days works out to 44/day, or about 300 a week. That seems like a lot since the majority of the trip I'll be meandering around the woods.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.

10-K
07-15-2012, 12:38
Let's be clear.

1. I said I would feel best starting with $7000 so that I would have a "few thousand" hopefully left over.

But definitely $7000 is enough to finance a full thru. If I had a problem that would make a thru hike cost more than $7000 I would probably need to abort anyway.

2. I followed up by saying I would not want to start with less than $4000.

Few people would argue that $4000 is an overly high amount to start a thru hike with.

$4000 is a bit over $2 per mile, which is in more or less in line with my spending habits.

MuddyWaters
07-15-2012, 12:57
To not starve, about $50 per week. This buys hiker food ONLY when shopping smart.
No hotel rooms, no town meals, etc.

10-K
07-15-2012, 13:00
To not starve, about $50 per week. This buys hiker food ONLY when shopping smart.
No hotel rooms, no town meals, etc.

That sounds like a death march more than a thru hike. :)

It's so unfun to hike with people who don't have money... I hiked a few hundred miles with some guys and every time somebody wanted to do something 2 of them would say some variation of "How much does it cost?" or "I can't afford it."

verasch
07-15-2012, 13:00
Let's be clear.

1. I said I would feel best starting with $7000 so that I would have a "few thousand" hopefully left over.

But definitely $7000 is enough to finance a full thru. If I had a problem that would make a thru hike cost more than $7000 I would probably need to abort anyway.

2. I followed up by saying I would not want to start with less than $4000.

Few people would argue that $4000 is an overly high amount to start a thru hike with.

$4000 is a bit over $2 per mile, which is in more or less in line with my spending habits.

Okay, $7000. Thats still about $38 a day for days most spent in the woods. $4000 is 22/ day, but it still doesn't answer my question. Sorry if im not clear. Is the $4-7k for entertainment, or is this all inclusive? Thanks and i apologize for any unintended misunderstanding.

bert304
07-15-2012, 13:04
Read the old posts they still have a lot of great info. I have started to plan my thru and I am at the same place as you are. I am thinking about how many mail drops and what type of food is to be purchased locally. I am an over thinker, I am working on a daily spreadsheet and one for meals for the entire thru

10-K
07-15-2012, 13:05
Okay, $7000. Thats still about $38 a day for days most spent in the woods. $4000 is 22/ day, but it still doesn't answer my question. Sorry if im not clear. Is the $4-7k for entertainment, or is this all inclusive? Thanks and i apologize for any unintended misunderstanding.

$4000-$7000 would be to finance the trip. $4000 on the low end, $7000 to have a nest egg when I got back. That's allowing for gear replacement along the way, food/resupply, hotels, eating out, and whatever else.

I spent over $600 in Manchester Ct., VT in 2 days on lodging, resupply, eating out, a new pair of shoes and gifts I mailed home to my wife and kids.

Keep in mind I'm almost 51 years old and have a bit of disposable income now that my kids are becoming more independent.

May I ask how much you are planning on taking?

BTW, if you drink alcohol bring more than you think you need... :)

Double Wide
07-15-2012, 13:28
I just stumbled across this and before I saw 10-K's response, I was thinking to myself, maybe about 8 grand...

That's kinda what my budget is. I'm leaving in 2014 and I want to have $4500 liquid cash on hand when I pass my first white blaze. Of course, I'm not including the cost of gear because I have about 90% of that already and it's not specifically for my thru-hike. I use it regularly stumbling around in the woods near my home. Also, I'm in the unenviable position of having a car payment, so I have to set six months of that aside as well (will *NOT* sell my car--love it that much). However, I also plan on having 2 months worth of living expenses available for when I get back so that my transition back into the working world won't be too stressful.

I figure that if my 'real world' obligations are met, my mail drops are ready, and I have things on hand like spare equipment (2 more pairs of footgear, etc), then yeah, I should be able to get by on $4500 for six months on the trail. That's roughly $175 per week, which will allow me to indulge in a motel stay when needed, a few nice meals in town, and a side trip or two once I get up north (never been to Boston, wanna see the Yuengling brewery, etc). I've got 20 months before I go, so I'm saving everything I can, and the only 'stuff' I'm buying is directly related to the trip.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I want to make sure I have the resources on hand to fully take advantage of it.

verasch
07-15-2012, 13:37
$4000-$7000 would be to finance the trip. $4000 on the low end, $7000 to have a nest egg when I got back. That's allowing for gear replacement along the way, food/resupply, hotels, eating out, and whatever else.

Cool, that answers my question. It has always seemed a little daunting to save up that sort of coin after taking care of all the home expenses. But this makes a bit more sense.

I spent over $600 in Manchester Ct., VT in 2 days on lodging, resupply, eating out, a new pair of shoes and gifts I mailed home to my wife and kids.

Yeah, i can see myself doing that too. But knowing that the figures ive seen for $X a mile are a bit more realistic when its about financing the hike.

Keep in mind I'm almost 51 years old and have a bit of disposable income now that my kids are becoming more independent.

May I ask how much you are planning on taking?

I'm, um on the extended plan for a thru. So, i have no idea how much i'll bring yet. To be honest seeing people say how much it costs to thru has been one of the major drawbacks for me. I'm going on a hike next weekend, and it'll cost 15 bucks and gas for 3 people. Everything else is good to go. Hence the confusion; I've already paid for the expenses such as gas, food, lodging.

The other problem is ive found my dream job (i design documents that can be 'read' by people who are blind), so im waiting to get tired of that.

BTW, if you drink alcohol bring more than you think you need... :)
LOL you havent met me yet, and already you know me! Thats where Gordons comes in! ;)

Spokes
07-15-2012, 13:42
The way I look at it is this......

If I maintain spending as much money on the trail as I do in my everyday "normal" life, I live like a member of the Royal Family.

fiddlehead
07-15-2012, 14:14
I would enjoy getting involved in this thread.
Except that it's all been said before.
Like seeing a movie twice.
Or hiking the same trail again.

House of Payne
07-15-2012, 14:51
Everyone hikes their own hike! Most folks responding to this post have acknocwledged their experiences and intentions about money. I am also planning my thru for 2014 and will also be of retirement age from one of my jobs, 46 :) My thoughts are simple, I'm looking to spend a majority of my time on the trail, occasionally taking a zero day and staying in a hostel or hotel room. I will plan on occasional 'in town' meals but not as often as some do. My wife will come visit me as I come through towns nearby and take me home for a night so I may sleep in my bed and enjoy home cooked food. This will keep my costs down and keep what reserves I plan for intact. I think the plan is to go with $3200 and a pad of $1000 for unforseens/emergencies etc.

Double Wide
07-15-2012, 16:13
HoP--

Glad to see somebody my age on the trail in '14. I was afraid it was gonna be all kids and seniors out there!

House of Payne
07-15-2012, 17:05
I'm sure we will run into each other DW. If all goes well, we'll have to have a beer somewhere along the way.

Stir Fry
07-16-2012, 10:38
$200 a week is not over kill, I have been sectioning for 10 years and thats about what I spend on long sections, 150 miles or more. Keep in mind that I do not skimp when in town. So if you are frugle you could make it on $100 a week. Less then that you will end up being one of the many that is always looking for a hand out. I have seen some go from hiker box to hiker box and get mad when the selection is poor.

Think about what it cost for you to eat normaly for a week. Its not cheeper just becouse you are hiking. In fact is should cost you more. Even if you plan and do mail drops, you still had to buy everything first. Mail drops are fine for some thing, but you still end up getting some things in town.

If you are like me part of why you are doing a Tru-Hike is to challange yourself, and have fun at the same time. The last thing I want to worry about is do I have enough $.

Stir Fry, Northbound 2014

redfox1939
07-19-2012, 22:50
It really depends on where you would like to hike.If you like Appalachian Trail a very rough estimate for hiking expenses is $200 a week (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2822). If you're on a tigh budget, use that figure as a guideline, but allow for unexpected and emergency expenses as well.