PDA

View Full Version : What I learned on my 1st section hike:

P-Train
07-15-2012, 14:35
GSMNP TN./N.C. 7/1-7/6-2012

Weight. I bought a Kelty pack that was two lbs. heavier than another choice with more bells and whistles. Should have gone w/ a 3lbs. pack and just made it work.

Hiking boots. I love my Garmont boots but they are best for day hikes. Next time I will have something lighter.

Food. I carried a little too much food but it wasn't that big a deal. Mostly mini- bagels, Ramen noodles, pasta and instant mashed potatoes. TVP was a nice light weight filler. Note to self: eat the heaviest items in the pack 1st.

Clothing: I did well on this. Three shirts, three underwear, two zipper pant/shorts were plenty. Always hiked in the same shorts and slept in the other long pants. Same shirt for two days. No problem. Same underwear for two days. No problem. Luckily I took extra socks and kept me feet dry, changing them out two times a day. Come prepared for all weather.

Taking care of my feet was key. I had three blisters total. One on each pinky toe and one heal. Met an EMT that told me as soon as you feel a hot spot deal with it right then and there. Don't wait until the end of the day. And change out damp socks as needed. Keep those feet dry!

Shelters: It's a crap shoot. In this AT section rangers prefer you NOT to tent. (They can even fine you if they had reason). That means staying in a shelter with strangers. HOWEVER, this turned out to be a lot of fun and I met some GREAT people. Ear plugs worked somewhat. Better than nothing. Not much you can do for the smells but if people could put up with me then likewise. I took my iPod and only used it when going to sleep. Fleet Foxes. What a great band...

So there are some of the things I would do differently. Next time I will be more in tune with what I need and don't. Also I kept a journal and updated it each day. I've never done that before and it turns out I really like it. So many interesting and funny things happen that you want to remember. People, places and things you want to tell your friends and family about when you get back.

I did this solo but ended up doing almost 1/2 of my roughly 75 miles with two or three other people. We just clicked. That ended up being my favorite part of this section hike. Meeting like minded people, doing the same thing I was doing, same weather, same struggle and in the end some of the same food and water we shared. Second favorite was all the different eco-systems this park had to offer at different altitudes. Great views and some rough terrain.

I look forward to my next section of the AT!

Don H
07-15-2012, 14:42
Glad you had a great time!

MuddyWaters
07-15-2012, 14:47
Awesome.

But as you probably realize, you can ditch most of the clothing next time.
You can wash clothes in 1-gal ziplock with a couples drop of biodegradable soap if get too dirty. Wear till dry, or hang to dry overnight.

rich5665
07-16-2012, 11:48
Thanks for the sharing your experience. I'm doing my first section hike in October, should be fun.

Rasty
07-16-2012, 11:54
PTrain
Great report. I'm doing my longest hike this September. Can't wait to finally break the 150 mile mark. I've never had the time to go more than six days before.

rocketsocks
07-16-2012, 12:19
Thanks for the trip report P-Train, sounds like you had a great time. One of the things about your post gave me some insight into my own feelings on journaling. I'm not a bib journaler/writer (except her at wb with spell check)and you said you tried journaling and liked it. I find for me that when things and thoughts are flowing, I enjoy it, but if the gates of free flowing thoughts are not open, then I won't bother, and after reading your post, realized that's OK, no need to force something that's just not there at the moment, thanks for the muse.....:)

Veetack
07-16-2012, 14:34
That was your first section hike? You could have fooled me. Your gear selection and attitude were that of someone with some trail experience. It was really funny when you decided to run up the Clingmans tower as well. I had a really good time hiking with you and the whole crew. Just for your entertainment, here's all of us at the highest point on the AT. We are, from left to right: Bo, (I can't remember his name to save my life), Carefree, Leslie, Veetack, P-Train.

Spokes
07-16-2012, 15:17
Good job P-train. Everything from here on out is just tweaking! Something I've been doing for years now.....

Drybones
07-16-2012, 16:14
That was your first section hike? You could have fooled me. Your gear selection and attitude were that of someone with some trail experience. It was really funny when you decided to run up the Clingmans tower as well. I had a really good time hiking with you and the whole crew. Just for your entertainment, here's all of us at the highest point on the AT. We are, from left to right: Bo, (I can't remember his name to save my life), Carefree, Leslie, Veetack, P-Train.

One rose among the thorns. Good looking group.

Josh Calhoun
07-18-2012, 11:42
glad you enjoyed it. clothes sounds a lil much. you can ditch the underwear all together and save a little weight and room. also help with chaffing. i usually use hiking shirt and shorts and a camp shirt. works well for me. but i do carry 3 pair of socks!

P-Train
07-19-2012, 22:16

Bo, Dannie (Beagle Dad), Steven (Pierce Broadside ie; Carefree), Leslie, Veetack and Patrick (P-Train)

May start at Springer next time but this section is closest to home. Hard to believe these mountains could be beat for beauty but I'm always up for what's around the next bend.

I'd hang my bear bag with Veetack anytime. Hope y'all get to meet him.

Rocketsocks, I made an effort before sundown to write the day's events. It became a goal instead of a chore after the first day.
Josh, I ditched cotton years ago for the trail but I gotta have my non cotton skivvies.

SunnyWalker
07-23-2012, 22:35
P-Train: Yep, you might want to ditch some of the extra clothes. Looks like you had a good time! I enjoyed reading your post! See you down the trail . . . . . . .