PDA

View Full Version : the life of shoes

jimtabor
07-15-2012, 17:47
I got 1000 + miles on my shoes and they are wore out. (Columbia Trail Runners )
I need a new pair, Thinking about KEEN"s Alamosa Wp. There on sale for 95.00. Will I get 1000 plus miles out of a keen product walking on the AT in Pennsylvania.
Thanks

leaftye
07-15-2012, 17:56
I consider a shoe worn out after about 300 miles unless it has a polyurethane midsole or a dual density EVA midsole. It doesn't matter what the shoe looks like.

So I think not, but it seems that you're willing to keep wearing shoes much longer than I would.

jimtabor
07-15-2012, 18:56
I cant afford new shoes every 300 miles. Thanks for the reply

leaftye
07-15-2012, 19:15
I suggest looking for footwear with a polyurethane midsole then. Most shoe manufacturers will tell you their shoes last 300-500 miles because of the EVA midsole.

A polyurethane might weigh a little more, and will be a little stiffer, but will last much longer. I've heard of dual density EVA midsoles lasting 700-1000 miles, but I'm wary of those reports without knowing much more about the EVA used in those shoes. I don't believe any of the major companies (New Balance, Inov-8, Merrell, Golite) uses dual density EVA. Look into some of the more obscure brands. Hopefully someone here can recall a shoe like that. There's also one shoe with a removable midsole. That might allow you to replace the midsole cost effectively if they're sold separately. Of course now I can't find that shoe with Google, so maybe I remember it incorrectly. I think I read about it on the Birthday Shoes (http://birthdayshoes.com/) website.

Miner
07-16-2012, 14:56
When you talk worn out, I'm assuming you mean falling apart, sole worn through, etc? Because the internal support and structure of a shoe wear out much faster and foot troubles have sidelined alot of thru-hikers.

For the outside of the shoe falling apart, I've had Inov-8 Roclite 315s last over a 1000 miles, but after 600 miles that was using them for dayhiking. For thru-hiking, after 500-600 miles, I usually mail my shoes home from the trail when I swap them out for latter use for dayhiking which I don't care as much about longterm foot support.

Mike2012
07-16-2012, 16:39
I got just shy of 1,000 out of a pair of Vasque GTX(?) trail hikers and am just about to start with another pair of Vasques but the Mantra model this time. I returned the first pair to REI because the inner heel was ripping by the time I got to Damascus but I got another 500 miles out of them. I ran into people having trouble with Keens on the trail. I'll replace shoes sooner this time.

RED-DOG
07-16-2012, 18:51
Try ( Gor-tex ) Scarpa i only used two pair on this year's thru very comfortable but a little pricey at 129.00 plus tax and yeah the can handle PA with no problem. RED-DOG

hikerboy57
07-16-2012, 18:56
i had lamination problems with keen klamaths(too heavy anyway), ive got about 600 miles on my keen targhees, and theyre still holding up, expect theyll last for the 300 miles of maine im doing next month.

SunnyWalker
07-23-2012, 22:40
The Keens I had I thought were REALLY great. Until I slipped on a rock down in Big Bend. I had bought them while on the AT. Anyway, that got me to looking and the soles were not made from Vibram. I can't afford a slip like that (I don't think I was asking to much of the shoe when I slipped) and so will look at shoes that have Vibram soles. I think Vibram really grips the rock and etc. The one thing I liked about the Keen though is the bigger toe box. THAT part I'll miss. Maybe they are Making them with Vibram?!? I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the thread. 300 miles, surely we can get more that that out of a pair of hiking shoes/boots, I sure do.

coach lou
07-23-2012, 22:53
I also had a delamination problem with my keens, Made in China. I got rid of them for a pair of Garmonts, much better. I still like my Garmont boots better for backpacking.

Tinker
07-23-2012, 23:52
The Keens I had I thought were REALLY great. Until I slipped on a rock down in Big Bend. I had bought them while on the AT. Anyway, that got me to looking and the soles were not made from Vibram. I can't afford a slip like that (I don't think I was asking to much of the shoe when I slipped) and so will look at shoes that have Vibram soles. I think Vibram really grips the rock and etc. The one thing I liked about the Keen though is the bigger toe box. THAT part I'll miss. Maybe they are Making them with Vibram?!? I'll have to take a look. Thanks for the thread. 300 miles, surely we can get more that that out of a pair of hiking shoes/boots, I sure do.

Vibram makes many different soles, and these soles may or may not grip better than other soles, since the tread design, depth, and composition vary.
Look into Vibram's website for information on the individual sole you intend to use.

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 00:00
I got 1000 + miles on my shoes and they are wore out. (Columbia Trail Runners )
I need a new pair, Thinking about KEEN"s Alamosa Wp. There on sale for 95.00. Will I get 1000 plus miles out of a keen product walking on the AT in Pennsylvania.
Thanks
Doubt it, but one never knows, I got 800+ miles on a pair of sneaks, Aasics, I'm happy with that, now they are retired to mowing grass. A different pair of sneaks, again aasics, whooped after about 300 miles, I guess all shoes are not made alike.

tf bear
07-24-2012, 15:55
I had a new pair of Keens get ripped up by the AT descending into Pine Grove. The tread on the heal became detached from the shoe. I walked another fifty miles without a problem till I could get another pair. They feel so good on the feet I will or REI will keep replacing them!

Rightfoot
07-24-2012, 17:52
I have worn a pair of Lowa Baffin Pro's for many years. I estimate that there are 2500 miles on them although they have had new soles put on which in itself was not cheap. They are heavy yes, I guess somewhere about 4.5 pounds but they are the most comfortable boot I have ever had on my feet. There is a sticker shock though as they cost $300 plus.

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 19:53
This is a funny title HikerBoy 57, I see what you mean, every time I see it now, I have that image of the old boot that was a house in the nursurey rhyme and all the little kids running around, too funny......"Ode to a Shoe"

Rasty
07-24-2012, 20:18
This is a funny title HikerBoy 57, I see what you mean, every time I see it now, I have that image of the old boot that was a house in the nursurey rhyme and all the little kids running around, too funny......"Ode to a Shoe"

Back to the cafe RS.:)

rocketsocks
07-24-2012, 20:22
Back to the cafe RS.:)
Yeah yeah, I hear ya, I just figured I'd crawl outta the cage for a while, to see how the real hikers are doin.

leaftye
07-24-2012, 22:22
Jim,
Are you section hiking? You only mention Pennsylvania. That's only 230 miles, not 1000. If you're section hiking, your shoes can be worn much longer. They don't last longer, but your feet are able to put up with more abuse since you'll be done hiking after a week or two. With thru hiking, wearing shoes longer than recommended can hurt your feet and not be able to recover while you're on the trail.

ferdEggmont
07-27-2012, 20:14
I wore a pair of Montrail Mountain Masochists from Damascus to Caratunk- they were absolutely worn out and zero treads. Montrail will only offer you a 50% off code if you call them. I believe Salomon will replace them every time and Merrel will offer AT hikers one free replacement. Hope this helps.