PDA

View Full Version : Pack stolen from NH 25A near Wentworth/Glencliff

ceschuby
07-15-2012, 21:57
Hi all,

I've been on the trail for 2 weeks, trying to finish up an attempted thru-hike from last year, and yesterday (7/14) my cousin came out to slackpack me. She met me at NH route 25A and we put my (fully loaded) pack in her trunk and set off to do the 10 miles northbound to Glencliff. We got a shuttle back to her car from a guy at the Hikers Welcome and noticed the driver's side window was busted. Nothing appeared to be stolen (GPS, radar detector still there) until we looked in the trunk and my pack was gone. Her purse was right next to it in the trunk but untouched. It's dumbfounding--why would they take a stinky hiker's pack but leave electronics? In retrospect, we did remember some folks with ATVs who were also at the trailhead at the time who would have been the only ones who would have seen the pack going in the trunk. They seem like the likeliest suspects, although I can't think of any motive besides hatred of hikers or just plain spite. We called 911 and a state trooper eventually came out and took our information, said there'd been another car break-in earlier in the day. Some locals we met later at the general store said there had been other crimes. We looked around the side of the road near the trailhead just on the chance it had been dumped nearby, but it was a wild goose chase. I gave the officer a description of the pack and a list of its contents, and today I filled out an ATC incident report and emailed the DOC and Hikers Welcome to let them know of the theft in case the pack or any of my gear turns up, as well as to warn other hikers. I emailed them a flyer I made with a description of the gear and an offer of a reward, hoping they might be willing to post some nearby. I'm with family on the Seacoast now, trying to scrounge up enough gear to get back on the trail, cancelling my credit cards, trying to figure out what to do.

The pack is a gray REI Flash, pretty new looking (got it for this hike), with light green imitation Crocs and a section of yellow z-rest clipped on the outside. Contents include a green lightheart tent, a purple REI sleeping bag, red Big Agnes pad, toiletries (medications, eyeglasses, etc), MSR pocketrocket stove, mp3 player and chargers, journal, drivers license (NY), credit/insurance cards, orange food bag marked "Sno", cothing, etc.

In the unlikely event any of my gear is found, my cell number is (919) 475-1615. No texts.

Please, if you're hiking in the area or live nearby, be careful. :(

-Coconut

Captain Blue
07-15-2012, 22:37
Sounds like the culprit might be a bear. Any chance this was the case?

Winds
07-15-2012, 22:46
Yikes, that sucks! Best of luck to you.

I listed this link in the 2012 Class on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/53124671531/

ceschuby
07-15-2012, 22:53
I know bears are crafty, and I'm sure they're capable of breaking a car window, but I really don't think a bear would pop the trunk from the driver's seat, much less close the trunk afterwards and take the entire 30 lb pack out of sight with no trace. Honestly, I wish it had been a bear.

ceschuby
07-15-2012, 22:55
Yikes, that sucks! Best of luck to you.

I listed this link in the 2012 Class on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/53124671531/

Thank you for doing this! I was not aware of this group.

Mrs Baggins
07-16-2012, 04:57
Good grief. Awful. We had our Garmin stolen out of our car - - and yet the thief left my husband's cell phone and my very nice Lumix camera sitting right there.

Pack theft, and the possibility thereof, is why I never ever leave things like glasses, camera, all ID, credit cards, cash in my pack. They all go into a fanny pack that stays on me no matter where I've set my pack down. At night it's inside my sleeping bag at my feet. Anyone taking my pack will get my gear and food but absolutely nothing that I can't replace at an outfitter and grocery store the next day.

House of Payne
07-16-2012, 05:45
I'm sorry this happened to you. The weird part is why someone would go out of their way to get a pack out of the trunk when there are so many other valuable type items to take. Really, who goes and takes a bulky 30lb backpack and leaves everything else?

Rocket Jones
07-16-2012, 06:15
I'm sorry this happened to you. The weird part is why someone would go out of their way to get a pack out of the trunk when there are so many other valuable type items to take. Really, who goes and takes a bulky 30lb backpack and leaves everything else?
Someone who wants to inconvenience a hiker. It wasn't just about stealing.

ceschuby
07-16-2012, 11:15
Good grief. Awful. We had our Garmin stolen out of our car - - and yet the thief left my husband's cell phone and my very nice Lumix camera sitting right there.

Pack theft, and the possibility thereof, is why I never ever leave things like glasses, camera, all ID, credit cards, cash in my pack. They all go into a fanny pack that stays on me no matter where I've set my pack down. At night it's inside my sleeping bag at my feet. Anyone taking my pack will get my gear and food but absolutely nothing that I can't replace at an outfitter and grocery store the next day.

An excellent idea. I'll definitely be doing this from now on. And getting the renter's insurance I was putting off until I got back from the trail!

Tom Murphy
07-16-2012, 14:25
I am sorry this happen to you. I am quite fond of my rag-tag collection of gear and this would really bum me out.

I agree the hiking gear being taken over the purse and electronics seems weird. It seems to make you want to blame some type of anti-hiker motivation.

IMO, it is the opposite. Someone wanted your gear and didn't want electronics or credit cards.

Driver8
07-17-2012, 10:36
I agree the hiking gear being taken over the purse and electronics seems weird. It seems to make you want to blame some type of anti-hiker motivation.
a
IMO, it is the opposite. Someone wanted your gear and didn't want electronics or credit cards.

Either way, it totally sucks. Very sorry for your misfortune, Coconut. Hope you can get back out on trail soon and hope the thieves have the pack stolen from them by a bear. Wouldn't even mind if violence were involved. ...

scree
07-17-2012, 15:32
Sorry to hear that - and I must say ATV riders tend to suck at the outdoors in general.

freckles
07-17-2012, 16:24
I'm sorry this had to happen to you. There are some seriously big jerks out there. :(

Blissful
07-18-2012, 19:48

Pack theft, and the possibility thereof, is why I never ever leave things like glasses, camera, all ID, credit cards, cash in my pack. They all go into a fanny pack that stays on me no matter where I've set my pack down. At night it's inside my sleeping bag at my feet. Anyone taking my pack will get my gear and food but absolutely nothing that I can't replace at an outfitter a grocerery store the next day. the big thing is the IDs with identity theft. I also take Is, money and cell phone wherever I go.

leaftye
07-18-2012, 20:13
That seriously sucks. I hope you're able to get back out on the trail. That would've ended my hike.

The quickest way to gear up might be to put up the $25 for a Backpackinglight.com membership and post a want ad. Let people know what happened. I'm guessing you'll want quick delivery. USPS Priority Mail is my preferred method. Hopefully this will help you gear up quickly and lightly with minimal cost. Or maybe not. I looked at a couple pages, and nothing much is jumping out at me. Want ads can be better though. Just make sure you set up pm's. Editing the first post will help others figure out what you're still looking for without having to read the entire thread.

I have renters insurance for the same reason. I found out the hard way years ago that items stolen out of a car aren't necessarily covered by auto insurance.

Good luck.

ceschuby
07-31-2012, 15:18
Thank you all so much for your advice and support! I took 4 zeros at my aunt's house in NH, bought a new pack and tent, borrowed lots of stuff from my cousin and her boyfriend ('11 thruhikers--thank you so much, guys!), and was able to get back on the trail. Now I'm at Pine Ellis in Andover, recovering from the stomach virus that's been getting so many hikers up here. Barring any other mishaps, I'm hoping to be able to finish by the 20th..

prepcore
08-01-2012, 00:39
Hey noticed you are from Utica, I live pretty close by and I have some extra gear I don't use since I became a hanger. PM me and let me know if there's anything I can do and I can give you a list of stuff you can have. Good luck with the rest of your trip!! I'll be thinking of you.

shelb
08-01-2012, 10:00
Thank you all so much for your advice and support! I took 4 zeros at my aunt's house in NH, bought a new pack and tent, borrowed lots of stuff from my cousin and her boyfriend ('11 thruhikers--thank you so much, guys!), and was able to get back on the trail. Now I'm at Pine Ellis in Andover, recovering from the stomach virus that's been getting so many hikers up here. Barring any other mishaps, I'm hoping to be able to finish by the 20th..

Way to go on not letting this stop you! Keep hiking!

Rain Man
08-01-2012, 10:21
Coconut, very sorry to hear about your misfortune! Did you have your pack and/or equipment marked in any way? I tend to at least write my name on a tag or use a magic marker to write my initials some place conspicuous (and not).

Glad you were able to get back on the trail.

P.S. I too, very much like Mrs Baggins technique!

Rain Man

canoe
08-01-2012, 11:02
JUst curious. You have a NY drivers lic. and a NC phone number.

prepcore
08-01-2012, 15:05
JUst curious. You have a NY drivers lic. and a NC phone number.

Maybe used to live in NC but moved to NY? Or is from NY but now lives in NC? Just guessing.

Altarboy
08-11-2012, 17:40
Oh man what a nightmare. Glad you were able to keep going. I'm going to go write my name on more of my stuff.

ceschuby
08-11-2016, 12:44
Good news!! A good Samaritan logger found my pack in a ditch off of a forest road and mailed it to me.

Here's what gear looks like after 4 years of getting rained on in the woods. I'm kind of impressed at how well things held up (and how much was left in the pack--toiletries, wallet, stove, clothes are gone).
3584135842On the plus side, it doesn't smell like hiker stank anymore..
35843These look good but are very musty. Any tips on cleaning?
35845The electronics are corroded but that waterproof White Mountains map is pristine!
35844Sleeping pad now has a nest of baby spiders and some mildew spots, but otherwise not bad.

Thank you all for your support and kind words. There are Trail Angels everywhere! <3

SWODaddy
08-11-2016, 13:38
Ha! That's crazy

Traveler
08-11-2016, 13:57
I'll bet the Twinkies are still fresh

Scrum
08-11-2016, 19:36
Amazing. What is missing?

eabyrd1506
08-11-2016, 20:01
Not to be suspicious but if your wallet was missing how did the lawyer know where to send the pack?

eabyrd1506
08-11-2016, 20:02
Logger not lawyer silly boy

ceschuby
08-12-2016, 11:04
Not to be suspicious but if your wallet was missing how did the lawyer know where to send the pack?

A ziploc with a list of emergency contacts was still in there with my husband's phone #. He called to confirm whose pack it was, offered to mail it, we gave him the address.

ceschuby
08-12-2016, 11:04
I'll bet the Twinkies are still fresh

Ha! I almost wish I'd had some in there to see how they would have turned out.

ceschuby
08-12-2016, 11:10
Amazing. What is missing?

Definitely the toiletries, stove/cook kit, wallet, and clothes bag are missing..I'm trying to think what else had been in there. They left the tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, raingear, and some electronics (cheap mp3 player and various chargers, so nothing too valuable). Very strange.

Slo-go'en
08-12-2016, 11:33
The fact the pack was found on the side of a forest road leads credence to the ATV suspects. Depending on how the items were packed, they might have removed and tossed the missing items until they found the wallet, then discarded the pack.

rickb
08-12-2016, 11:33
Am I the only who thinks that this pack spent some (or even all) of the past 4 years stashed in the perps shed?

ceschuby
08-12-2016, 13:06
Am I the only who thinks that this pack spent some (or even all) of the past 4 years stashed in the perps shed?

Although the items that were inside are visibly in better shape than I would have expected, this pack definitely spent a great deal of time outside getting rained on repeatedly. As I'm going through the process of cleaning things I'm finding more and more evidence that things are not in as great shape as they first appeared. Deeply embedded dirt and leaves in the mesh straps of the pack. Dead leaves and humus in the internal pockets. Things growing on a fleece jacket. The raincoat is covered with dark mildew spots. The tent zippers are corroded, and it was in a stuff sack inside the pack. I've slowly started cleaning things, and when I handwashed the stuff sacks and pack cover (all had been inside the pack) the water turned dark brown. The smell of my down sleeping bag is not the mustiness from being incorrectly kept in its stuffsack indoors, it's several orders of magnitude worse. I can't attach a file of the smell, but trust me, it's special.:eek:

Plus, based on the observations that a) the only people around who saw me put the pack in the trunk were some folks with ATVs and 2) it was found off of a forest road nearby, I'm going to agree with Slo-go'en's inference that those folks probably grabbed it as soon as we were out of the picture and took it with them on their ATV adventure, rummaging through things as they went and promptly discarding what they didn't want.

Still, I'm never going to find out what actually happened to it, so feel free to make your own interpretation.:-?