PDA

View Full Version : Leave to Trace

LionDog
07-15-2012, 22:35
Just curious how some folks pack out your garbage from a hike. What are some good options for taking your garbage out in so it doesn't leak or smell things up. Anything special?

Thanks

LionDog
07-15-2012, 22:36
Sorry , I meant leave no trace.

hikerboy57
07-15-2012, 22:53
Ijust use zip lock gallon freezrr bags.it hrlps torepackage your food beforehand to minimize what gets packed out.

Another Kevin
07-15-2012, 22:57
I try hard to minimize packaging. What I'm left with from a typical meal is one or two Ziploc bags from freezer-bag cooking, which I've already turned inside out and licked. And maybe the wrapper from a Clif bar or Snickers, an envelope from instant oatmeal, or the wax from a piece of cheese. None of that stinks too much, especially since the freshest two dirty Ziploc's are enclosing the rest of the mess. So I'm a bit puzzled: what is it you're carrying that leaks or stinks?

Of course, I'm just a clueless weekender. Maybe the real hikers have a rubbish problem that is beyond my comprehension.

Rasty
07-16-2012, 00:08
Ziplock bag. I pack all my food in them. Use mini size, sandwich bag and quart size. I find that the sandwich bag size is enough for two days worth of trash if I repackage everything beforehand.

Mike2012
07-16-2012, 00:25
I pack a few of those plastic grocery bags from each resupply and haul my trash and the trash of others out in that. Sometimes I eat canned fish. When I do I only eat it when I close to a town or garbage can or when I have the time to burn it out in a good fire that will burn for an extended duration. Probably a leave no trace foul but I don't want to smell like fish or have fish oil on my pack. When in bear country I hang my food, trash and anything stinky (except my socks and shoes - those scare them).

LionDog
07-16-2012, 07:52
I try hard to minimize packaging. What I'm left with from a typical meal is one or two Ziploc bags from freezer-bag cooking, which I've already turned inside out and licked. And maybe the wrapper from a Clif bar or Snickers, an envelope from instant oatmeal, or the wax from a piece of cheese. None of that stinks too much, especially since the freshest two dirty Ziploc's are enclosing the rest of the mess. So I'm a bit puzzled: what is it you're carrying that leaks or stinks?

Of course, I'm just a clueless weekender. Maybe the real hikers have a rubbish problem that is beyond my comprehension.

On my last hike I had these Indian meals you just put in your pot and warm it up, they had a good deal of sauce to them. They are good but a little messy.

One other question, do you keep your trash in the same food bag with the food items not used yet? Or do you pack it in a separate food bag?

verasch
07-16-2012, 07:58
The manufacturer of the ursack makes an odor stopping bag that I was given as a gift. I figure for longer treks, I'll try this. I've heard good things.

For now, as I am also a clueless weekender, I just put it in a garbage bag and remove it before I get in the car.

Pedaling Fool
07-16-2012, 08:29
No reason to have stinky garbage, just remove any remaining food debris, wash out if necessary, then put garbage in a plastic baggie, there will be no trace. If you have an inordianate quantity of leftover food, then just bury it, same as you do with TP and crap.

Pedaling Fool
07-16-2012, 08:42
One other question, do you keep your trash in the same food bag with the food items not used yet? Or do you pack it in a separate food bag?
I keep all my food either in original package or in plastic baggies, those food items are all in one nylon bag, i.e. stuff sac (Food Bag), nothing special. I keep all my garbage in a separate plasitic bag, but within the nylon Food Bag. There is no issue with smells, nor leaks.

P.S. The only food items not in my Food Bag are items I plan on eating during the hike.

Lone Wolf
07-16-2012, 08:50
i use one of those tyvek priority mail envelopes that you can get at PO lobbys

Double Wide
07-16-2012, 13:48

That way you can bounce your garbage up the trail! :D

Rain Man
07-16-2012, 15:58

The ones with warnings printed on them, such as "This packaging is the property of the U.S. Postal Service and is provided for use in sending Priority Mail shipments. Misuse may be a violation of federal law"? Those envelopes?
;)

To answer the OP: I just use/re-use zip-lock bags for my garbage.

Rain:sunMan

LionDog
07-16-2012, 18:40
Thanks all , you folks rock!

MkBibble
07-17-2012, 13:57
Tenting near the Cold Spring Shelter (NC) a few weeks ago, a mouse ate a small hole through the top of my food bag... RIGHT into my TRASH bag that I had just stuffed into the top of the food bag before hanging it. :-)

RED-DOG
07-17-2012, 14:32
Yeah the mice at cold spring shelter is VICIOUS and i mean just down right MEAN, but yeah i also use zip-lock freezer bags for food packing and trash. RED-DOG

Bronk
07-17-2012, 18:58
Just wake up very early and put your trash in the bottom of one of the packs hanging in the shelter. Nobody will notice until the next night when they unpack their things.

Lauriep
07-17-2012, 21:05
Looking for more Leave No Trace info and discussion? Go to www.appalachiantrail.org/lnt (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/lnt) and the Appalachian Trail Leave No Trace group on Facebook.

Laurie P.
ATC

Wise Old Owl
07-17-2012, 21:09
I carry two 2 gal trash bags not for trash but for "McGugruger " moments. One is there to keep stuff dry and the other is for protective sex.

LionDog
07-17-2012, 22:12
Looking for more Leave No Trace info and discussion? Go to www.appalachiantrail.org/lnt (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/lnt) and the Appalachian Trail Leave No Trace group on Facebook.

Laurie P.
ATC

Thanks Laurie I have some video's to watch.

Cheers

Blissful
07-18-2012, 19:41
Please never try to burn your garbage. Much of it doesn't burn and leaves a mess that maintainers have to deal with. Carry in, carry out. Thanks!

Hairbear
07-19-2012, 18:26
what ever bag i got the food in at the store .wash out garbage before you put it in a side pocket.as far as the smell i bet if a tuna pouch could talk my garbage would be saying to your garbage ,daaaaaam your human smells worse than mine .

Wise Old Owl
07-19-2012, 20:39
The ones with warnings printed on them, such as "This packaging is the property of the U.S. Postal Service and is provided for use in sending Priority Mail shipments. Misuse may be a violation of federal law"? Those envelopes?
;)

To answer the OP: I just use/re-use zip-lock bags for my garbage.

Rain:sunMan

In that case I will take two! one for each claw.:cool: