PDA

View Full Version : Your Story: When and where you became interested in backpacking?

SunnyWalker
07-15-2012, 22:39
Please tell us your story. What was the time (and when) you fell in love and became interested in backpacking? Who was with you? Family, friends, were you alone? :-? :D

rocketsocks
07-16-2012, 01:17
I had read a book by Peter Jenkins "A Walk Across America" in HS, it was given to me by my father. It looked like something I thought I'd be good at, always looking for things to do that I'd be good at, even still. While I'm not that good at it, it is only walking....I'm also stuborn. I'm good at that.:D

Different Socks
07-16-2012, 01:27
Fell in love with backpacking during a 60 mile, 2 day hike in Sequoia National park back in the summer of 1987. Got heavily interested in hiking when I was about 10 years old and would disappear into the woods every summer when my dad would take the family on vacation. Drove my parents crazy that they didn't know my whereabouts for hours.

Feral Bill
07-16-2012, 01:28
I'm wracking my brain and just can't remember. It was a very long time ago. Reading My Side of the Mountain probably had someting to do with it.

rocketsocks
07-16-2012, 01:34
I'm wracking my brain and just can't remember. It was a very long time ago. Reading My Side of the Mountain probably had someting to do with it.That was a goog movie, also the wilderness family. Little cheesy maybe, but it does bring me back. Also watching Marty Stouffers wild America,and Marlin Perkins wild kindom, all these inspired a love for the out doors.

Hairbear
07-16-2012, 06:37
i geuss it was in my very young youth stage of life.Igrew up in a very abusive family i was the oldest and the only child that was conceived by someone else.i would stay in the woods behind our house to avoid all the negative crap my stepfather used to dish out on a daily basis.the woods became a magical place for me, no put downs all the time.if i was sad mother nature would send a new discovery.pretty soon i was more comfortable alone in the woods than with people.i became very educated in the books i would read there.one day a neighbor lady saw me and asked me to come and help her get a bird off of her windowed porched,it was a humming bird and was exhausted from banging itself into the glass to try to get out.i got ahold of it ,and it was amazing you could feel the rapid heart beat in my hand.I walked with my new friend to the door stroking his head gently with my finger and speaking calmly to it.when i opened my hand outside the humming bird flew awayb but came back instantly to hover inches from my right ear then it flew away and came back and hovered by my left ear and flew away .the old lady said that was not any coincidence.i told her i knew it was saying thank you to me.from that point on i knew animals could communicate with us if they wanted to they dont because as humans we are not worthy of nature,and in my opinion still bring great shame to ourselves in how we deal with wild habitats.later on our basketball coach took us to lion mountain by denamora new york.when we got to the top a cloud bank rolled in and all we could see was the tops of the clouds.i was instantly hooked and never looked back i was a nature freak and still am.sometimes when i go to the wooded desolate areas i can still hear the encouraging sounds of life as it was meant to be, love as it was meant to be shown ,and worth that does not come from possessions.when im down nothing comforts me like the arm of mother nature holding me and singing me to sleep with the singing of the birds.alone in the wilderness i never have been.

Mrs Baggins
07-16-2012, 06:42
My story is in here. I wrote it.

http://www.amazon.com/Lembas-Soul-Rings-Enriches-Everyday/dp/0974084190/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342435406&sr=8-1&keywords=lembas

hikerboy57
07-16-2012, 06:47
Hiking franconia ridge,1976.

Sampson
07-16-2012, 06:53
i geuss it was in my very young youth stage of life.Igrew up in a very abusive family i was the oldest and the only child that was conceived by someone else.i would stay in the woods behind our house to avoid all the negative crap my stepfather used to dish out on a daily basis.the woods became a magical place for me, no put downs all the time.if i was sad mother nature would send a new discovery.pretty soon i was more comfortable alone in the woods than with people.i became very educated in the books i would read there.one day a neighbor lady saw me and asked me to come and help her get a bird off of her windowed porched,it was a humming bird and was exhausted from banging itself into the glass to try to get out.i got ahold of it ,and it was amazing you could feel the rapid heart beat in my hand.I walked with my new friend to the door stroking his head gently with my finger and speaking calmly to it.when i opened my hand outside the humming bird flew awayb but came back instantly to hover inches from my right ear then it flew away and came back and hovered by my left ear and flew away .the old lady said that was not any coincidence.i told her i knew it was saying thank you to me.from that point on i knew animals could communicate with us if they wanted to they dont because as humans we are not worthy of nature,and in my opinion still bring great shame to ourselves in how we deal with wild habitats.later on our basketball coach took us to lion mountain by denamora new york.when we got to the top a cloud bank rolled in and all we could see was the tops of the clouds.i was instantly hooked and never looked back i was a nature freak and still am.sometimes when i go to the wooded desolate areas i can still hear the encouraging sounds of life as it was meant to be, love as it was meant to be shown ,and worth that does not come from possessions.when im down nothing comforts me like the arm of mother nature holding me and singing me to sleep with the singing of the birds.alone in the wilderness i never have been.

Thanks for sharing. We all have our reasons but you managed to tell us yours in a beautiful way. I think lots of us feel that same comfort when we're out there and it's just nice to see it verbalized that way.

Namaste
07-16-2012, 07:47
I was born and raised in NYC and knew nothing about backpacking until 14 when we went up to Bear Mountain and then made frequent trips up afterwards for dayhikes thru Harriman. I loved those nature shows, too....Marty Stouffers and Marlin Perkins, and longed to have my own adventures in the "wilderness". My first real backpack trip was the Grand Canyon for a week when I was 21.

ATMountainTime
07-16-2012, 08:54
my ole man took me when i was a kid, like 4 or so. then got into cub scouts my first trip in scouts i was 12 and something just clicked.

atraildreamer
07-16-2012, 09:07
Read Colin Fletcher's "The Complete Walker"...been hooked ever since!

coach lou
07-16-2012, 09:19
A wonderful story Hairbear.

My Dad took us to Little Rock Pond when I was 10. The cool damp woods of Vermont, those little Red efts, I was bitten! I've been back a few times since, to start over I guess. When I joined the scouts my dad took the senior scouts on the 50 miler, I had to go, they would not let me until I learned to swim, I was the only Tenderfoot on that trip. I will soon take my step children to that pond.

beachbunny
07-16-2012, 09:48
the scouts,the A.T. in the days of canvas packs,tin cans,10 lb tents,cotton sleeping bags and living next to a huge forest!

bigcranky
07-16-2012, 12:38
Did a 3-night loop at Mt Rogers with my wife about twenty years ago. Started at Grindstone campground, so we came up through the woods on the MT Rogers National Scenic Trail, which might be scenic but it's totally in the woods, no views. Camped near the top in the woods the first night. I have clear memories of getting on the AT at Deep Gap and heading south on the AT toward Thomas Knob, and walking out a side trail to a large open meadow with wild horses, stunning views, and a big rock where we sat and had lunch. I was totally captivated.

Of course we had monster heavy packs (about 110 pounds between the two of us -- for a 3 night hike at the end of May....heh heh), and the hills were pure torture with that load, but I was hooked from that day forward. It's still one of my favorite places in the world.

rocketsocks
07-16-2012, 12:49
i geuss it was in my very young youth stage of life.Igrew up in a very abusive family i was the oldest and the only child that was conceived by someone else.i would stay in the woods behind our house to avoid all the negative crap my stepfather used to dish out on a daily basis.the woods became a magical place for me, no put downs all the time.if i was sad mother nature would send a new discovery.pretty soon i was more comfortable alone in the woods than with people.i became very educated in the books i would read there.one day a neighbor lady saw me and asked me to come and help her get a bird off of her windowed porched,it was a humming bird and was exhausted from banging itself into the glass to try to get out.i got ahold of it ,and it was amazing you could feel the rapid heart beat in my hand.I walked with my new friend to the door stroking his head gently with my finger and speaking calmly to it.when i opened my hand outside the humming bird flew awayb but came back instantly to hover inches from my right ear then it flew away and came back and hovered by my left ear and flew away .the old lady said that was not any coincidence.i told her i knew it was saying thank you to me.from that point on i knew animals could communicate with us if they wanted to they dont because as humans we are not worthy of nature,and in my opinion still bring great shame to ourselves in how we deal with wild habitats.later on our basketball coach took us to lion mountain by denamora new york.when we got to the top a cloud bank rolled in and all we could see was the tops of the clouds.i was instantly hooked and never looked back i was a nature freak and still am.sometimes when i go to the wooded desolate areas i can still hear the encouraging sounds of life as it was meant to be, love as it was meant to be shown ,and worth that does not come from possessions.when im down nothing comforts me like the arm of mother nature holding me and singing me to sleep with the singing of the birds.alone in the wilderness i never have been.Wow, what a powerful message and story Hairbear, thnks so much for sharing that, and for keeping it real...right on! and happy trails to you.

Best post of the day

Double Wide
07-16-2012, 13:40
I decided that backpacking was the way to go when I discovered that all of the great camping spots I used to go to as a kid 35 years ago have been paved over and turned into RV trailer parks. Seriously--the state parks here in Middle Tennessee just suck if you're seeking solitude

Spokes
07-16-2012, 15:12
As a kid the first time I crawled inside a "bed sheet tent" I setup in the living room.

Funny, I slept with my food inside that tent and never once feared a bear attack...... :)

wookinpanub
07-16-2012, 16:20
When I was 5, I was on vacation with my parents in Bryson City, NC. We went to Fontana Dam ( back when they were giving tours) and were in the parking lot when we saw a southbound thru-hiker in the parking lot waiting on someone to bring him some supplies that he had prearranged. At first, I thought he was some homeless guy, but fortunately, my dad started up a conversation and by the end of him telling us about his hike, I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever heard of and promised myself that i would do that one day. 18 years later, I did. I had only been on one shakedown hike before my thru.

Rasty
07-16-2012, 16:39
Grew up in upstate NY with miles of woods behind the house. Started day hiking with my brothers when I was 6 or so. Camping consisted of going out into the woods with a sleeping bag, flashlight and not much else. Went into the Boy Scouts and went camping almost monthly. Went backpacking around Bear mountain and Fahnstock park. I guess that is where the love of backpacking started. Went to the Adirondacks the first time when I was 12 and did 50 miles with the BSA.

Mike2012
07-16-2012, 16:43
I had read a book by Peter Jenkins "A Walk Across America" in HS, it was given to me by my father. It looked like something I thought I'd be good at, always looking for things to do that I'd be good at, even still. While I'm not that good at it, it is only walking....I'm also stuborn. I'm good at that.:D

I read that book about that time too but had backpacked in scouts and youth summer camps in WV, VA and PA. My problem is procrastination in getting going but once I rip myself away from the air conditioner I am good to go.

dr.rock
07-16-2012, 16:47
Boy Scouts!!

lemon b
07-16-2012, 18:35
Millinocket just East of the Big Eddy on the West Branch. Was Fly Fishing for Landlocks, maybe 1974. Ran across a pair of vets finishing up going North. Gave em a resupply run. Was September and one was wearing ked sneakers. Gave me a rundown on the hike. Both wore externals. Troopers with legs like mules. Made my first start maybe 5 years later after ets.

Nar Nar
07-16-2012, 22:23
I (being only 16) just started getting into backpacking and hiking last summer. My friends and I went on a day hike to the summit of Mount Mansfield on the Long Trail in Vermont, and it was just a blast. It wasn't long after that that I realized staying overnight on the trail would give me a chance to escape all of the bull**** that consumes everyone in our busy lives (yes, kids have busy lives too!), and that meeting people at shelters and along the trail was something that I enjoyed. I'm normally not a very sociable person, but for some reason it is different on the trail; everyone seems has a lot of things in common, and courtesy towards others is certainly an unwritten rule on the trail. I did my first full on backpacking trip last month on the AT/LT from the Massachusetts/Vermont border, to Stratton Vermont, about 40 miles. A lot of things went wrong and I didn't enjoy it at all, but I look at it as a learning experience and can't wait to get back out there and give it another shot, hopefully correcting what I did wrong my first time. I got my trailname on the trip so I suppose some positive came out of it :D

SunnyWalker
07-16-2012, 23:17
My earliest memories of family times were car camping all over the West from Yellowstone to Southern California. Then that morphed into backpacking with Dad and then I joined the BSA. I still remember my first Scoutmaster, Mr. Johnson (great guy, like a father to us all). There in Salem Ore, between my Dad taking me backpacking (and fishing on those trips) and the Boy Scouts I found something I loved. That's my story.

Tinker
07-16-2012, 23:24
Deja-vu all over again (attributed to Yogi Berra). Now where did I put that thread? It must be around here somewhere..........:-?

Acacia
07-17-2012, 02:41
Please tell us your story. What was the time (and when) you fell in love and became interested in backpacking? Who was with you? Family, friends, were you alone? :-? :D

When I told a friend I was doing trail maintenance on the AT, he said “you don’t like camping, you’ve never been backpacking, you have food issues, bathroom issues….have you really thought this through?” I had and went and met some of the nicest people from all walks of life….retired vets, counselors, scientists, students, sharing a love of something...something that's hard to pin down. When I got home I read more about the AT from books, trail journals and posts here in WB and it changed my whole perspective about backpacking. I noticed that what so many of the posts and journals had in common was an appreciation of the people they met. And bathroom and food issues seemed minor. This year I did a solo section hike in the south, complete with blisters, backaches, panoramic views, the greenest forests, trail towns, zero days, hostels, a beautiful waterfalls. And my favorite part of the whole trip was . . . . the people . . . . those along the trail, in the towns and, of course, the trail maintainers. I'm hooked.

Lyle
07-17-2012, 06:10
Right after college back in the '70s two of my college roommates and I went out for 5 days in the Smokies. At the end, as we were heading back to our car in Cades Cove, I made the comment "Man, I wish this wasn't over". My one roommate looked at me laughing and said simply, "You're hooked". How right he was.

KYLarry
07-17-2012, 06:14
Grew up in the city, but my parents were big into the outdoors. While my other friends would take vacations and stay in hotels with indoor swimming pools and indoor playgrounds, we would camp and hike and fish. I always seemed to have better stories to tell, and managed to have more fun than all of the rest of them. In fact, went camping with my mom in Canada once, and while on a hiking path I decided to go into the woods and try to get some pictures of a deer (I must've been 13 or so). I managed to wander around the woods, without a trail while my mom sat and waited for me to emerge for a couple of hours. By the grace of God I ended up back on the trail in the exact same spot that I left it and was greeted by a RCMP that was in the beginning stages of forming a search party to find me.

Was hooked after that.

fredmugs
07-17-2012, 07:35
I did my first hike to get away from my wife. Decided to get divorced during the hike (Thanks A.T.!) Decided to keep hiking as a personal physical challenge and a way to stay in shape.

Storm
07-17-2012, 15:01
Always liked to walk. Was looking at some information on the AT and stumbled on this site. First thought was"These people are crazy, I think I like them." The rest is history.

Sandy of PA
07-17-2012, 15:57
In 1969 my Mother took me and 2 of my sisters for a walk across Pennsylvania on the AT. I remembered the beauty you could only see if you walked there. Last year in honor of my Mom's 80th birthday, I did it again. The trees are a lot bigger, the trail in PA is shorter, but I just have to keep walking.

Drybones
07-17-2012, 16:45
Realized one day I was tired of killing animals but not tired of the woods, found backpacking to be an excuse to go to the woods without killing something...got senstive in my old age.

Drybones
07-17-2012, 16:47
I did my first hike to get away from my wife. Decided to get divorced during the hike (Thanks A.T.!) Decided to keep hiking as a personal physical challenge and a way to stay in shape.

I find my wife and I also get along better when I'm hiking.

coach lou
07-17-2012, 17:10
I find my wife and I also get along better when I'm hiking.

Mine loves going along, it has +s and -s......."sweetie, you can not go with Andy and me!"

actate
07-18-2012, 04:51
I remember reading the atlas during several family road trips when I was younger. In each state from Georgia to Maine there was a red line marking the Appalachian Trail. The idea of a hiking trail going 2,000 miles completely enthralled and intrigued me. After all, my experiences up to that time were short trails of no more than a mile or two at the local county preserve and state parks. That was my first encounter with the Appalachian Trail, and it's been in my thoughts ever since.

The idea of enjoying hiking in general didn't fully come about until my senior year in high school. On a whim a friend of mine and I decided to hike every trail at the local county preserve. A couple days every week for several weeks we'd pick one or two trails and walk them. As the finale of this endeavor we decided to walk the Backpack trail, the one overnight trail in the preserve, the day after we graduated. It was tough, partly because we weren't in great shape and partly because we had a terribly makeshift packing strategy. However, it was also fun.

moytoy
07-18-2012, 05:44
When I was old enough to ride my bike on the country roads of Blount County Tn. I would visit an old guy by the name of Burt Garner. He lived in a cabin without running water or electricity. The cabin walls were lined with books because Burt was a reader and a traveler. But most of all he was a story teller if he found someone to listen. And me and a couple of my friends were good at that. Burt was involved at one point in helping map the AT. His job was to walk and roll the milage wheel. He made hiking interesting for us as he explained the food he took (mostly made from soy beans and corn I think) He had a small grist mill so he made his own soy and corn meal. After lisitening to Burt and his stories and first hiking the AT in 1960 from Davenport Gap to Fontana I became a hiker at heart. I am still at it!

SunnyWalker
07-23-2012, 11:05
Wow, so far these stories are so incredible. What a variety and mix of descriptions, emotions, experiences and histories. I hope many more tell us their story as it is so interesting. Thank you to all who contributed and who will contribute.

Hawker
07-23-2012, 16:08
I live an hour from Mountain Crossings at Walasi-yi. When out driving around with my wife and I would often stop there just to look around. One time while there about ten years ago, I found the book Blind Courage by Bill Irwin. (the first blind person to finish the AT). A couple months later I found out that Bill was going to be in my town of Gainesville and I arranged to interview him for a radio program I do. He brought his dog Orient of course, and everyone in the office fell is love with both of them. One thing led to another. :) I'm also a hard core birder and former hunter...so all the pieces just fit. Now if I can just get more fit!

jimtabor
07-23-2012, 19:20
Right after my Doctor told me the best way to build my back muscles was to walk, the trail is 4 miles from my house so off to the trail I went. The first year I walked from Pen Mar to Pine grove and back a few times over a few months. then I walked Maryland in 2 1/2 days, some of it twice. Now I am workin on the rest of the state. (Pa.)
now I can walk 16 miles without any problem over the rocks. I logged 1000 plus miles in the last 9 months.

mikec
07-23-2012, 19:59
I was recruited for the AT Tag Team Relay Hike in 1995. Along with 6 other people, we hiked Maryland. I was very inexperienced at this. My pack weighted about 75 pounds the first day. Lucky I made it to the shelter. I started putting everything I didn't need in trash bags and hid them at road crossings for later pickup to get my pack weight down. Ended up having a decent time and have been sectioning the AT ever since. Only 350 miles to go!

Pioneer Spirit
07-23-2012, 21:53
Growing up in small town Ohio every place else seemed exotic even when viewed on a black and white tv.

Watching some German peddle through town on a bicycle on a country crossing tour...reading Colin Fletcher...crawing through caves after reading books on the subject.

Having ancestors who walked great distances and rode canal boats to pioneer my county. All these things led me to wonder what was over the next hill and so I go to see for myself.

Curiosity is the greatest blessing of all.

SunnyWalker
07-23-2012, 22:01
Dear Jimtabor: Hey, that's neat your back is coming along. I had some back problems about two years ago and while I was at the therapists I mentioned that i was hoping to do a thru hike and all in about 3 years. She said, "We'll see . . . ". I didn't tell her, it didnt matter what SHE thought, I was gooooona do it! (hopefully it wont be a problem). Thanks for the encouragement and good story, Jimtabor. And all the others. It's interesting what inspires all of us to something like this. To some it is another person who gives an picture of what its like to be on a trail. To another its a short glimpse of backbacking. To another the beauty of nature is a draw. To another they go on a campout, sit around a campfire in the evening and they are hooked. Whatever the draw, it sure is great, isn't it!?!