PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a side trip into NYC

Grand Poobah
07-16-2012, 10:38
I will be staying with a friend for a couple days in NYC. But he has no vehicle. Anyone have suggestions of a train or bus station close to the trail where I can hop off and head into the big city? Im not familiar with the area at all.

Feral Bill
07-16-2012, 11:18
Bus from Bear Mountain or Arden Valley Road. Train from Harriman NY or Pawling NY (off trail), or Appalachian Trail stop (on the trail, North of Pawling). Enjoy the city.

Cookerhiker
07-16-2012, 12:24
Start with this website (http://www.mta.info/) from MetroNY and navigate around where you'll find schedules for buses & trains for the stops mentioned by Feral Bill.

neoneals
07-16-2012, 13:19
Manitou, Harriman, and Appalachian trail are the closet metro north stops and all take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours to grand central. All these stops are part time though so it may you may be waiting a whole for the train.

The Peekskill stop is not too far south of the bear mountain bridge and has a lot more trains available.

You can also call cabs from the rangers stations in Harriman state park to drive you to a station.

Ah, the pleasures of hiking around NYC.

ferdEggmont
07-27-2012, 20:58
I took a bus from DWG, which is a town you will be passing through.

Skid.
07-28-2012, 09:21
Delaware Water Gap has a nice bus station with several daily buses to the Port Authority Bus Terminal, which is three blocks from Times Square. If you're coming back the same day, they have a 'shopping' special for $38. The trip takes about 90 minutes each way.

Skid.
07-28-2012, 09:22
they have a 'shopping' special for $38. .

That's $38 round trip.

Driver8
07-28-2012, 14:00
Check on MegaBus's website. They often have really cheap fares. Not sure if they stop in DWG or other trail towns.

BigHodag
07-28-2012, 16:18
Catch NJ Transit bus #197 to New York City from Bellvale Creamery (above Lake Greenwood), just 200 yards north of A.T.. It costs just 12.75 one way and the trip is about 3 hours. Buses depart just moments after every even hour headed into the city and arrive in the Port Authority bus terminal near Times Square.

Time your return to provide enough light to have another treat at Bellvale Creamery, watch some hawks and make the 2-mile hike to Wildcat shelter before dark.

Details are in this TrailJournal entry:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=347954

Grand Poobah
12-11-2012, 00:19
Just so you all know, I made it it into nyc via a hitch to a train station in NY with two other SOBO's. Two of the three of us finished last thursday on Springer! Thanks for all the advice.