PDA

View Full Version : Surprise blizzard hits Southeast

MedicineMan
04-24-2005, 04:05
Its been many years since we got a snow dump in April but tonight its dumping heavily here in the lowlands of Bristol,Kingsport, and Johson City...cant imagine what its doing on the Roan :)
Hope no one sent winter bags or clothes home too early.

Red Hat
04-24-2005, 06:01
I stayed at Cherry Gap Shelter Friday night. There was quite a thunderstorm, including hail. Saturday morning I was headed towards Roan Mtn. in the sleet, which would soon be snow. When I got to Iron Mtn road, I decided to hike out and back to Erwin. Caught a ride with a hunter. Now, here I am at Miss Janet's warm and dry.

Lone Wolf
04-24-2005, 07:24
I remember Mother's Day, May 8th, 1989. 2 feet of snow on Roan Mtn.

TakeABreak
04-24-2005, 08:58
Well, it was 79 degree's here in Mid-Michigan, on Tuesday, right now it 28 degree's and we under a severe winter storm warning. That is a first, that I can remember for this part of Michigan and I have lived here 39 out of my 45 years.

SGT Rock
04-24-2005, 10:11
Got hit by about an inch of ice on Mt Rogers once around 1 May 1997.

Chip
04-24-2005, 11:15
Woke up to a dusty snow cover this morning in Asheville. Went up to Hot Springs yesterday for Trailfest. Was a cold rainy day but there was a fair turn out. Back on May 22, 1978 we had snow flurries here in the Asheville area. That is the latest I've seen snow fall with cold temps.:)

David S.
04-24-2005, 12:15
I was up at Max Patch yesterday with some friends. We had dropped by the trail festival in Hot Springs and were going to camp up at Max Patch that evening. When we arrived, it was snowing quite heavily. A very wet snow.
We decided that we were ill equiped for camping in a snowstorm so we decided to head home. By the time we left, it had probably accumulated about an inch of snow on the ground with no signs of it letting up. This was my first time to Max Patch so I was a bit disappointed by the view of only about 100 feet. Next time.

MedicineMan
04-24-2005, 21:35
I remember 3rd weekend April in Johnson City, 2 feet of now in town in 1 hour...

The Old Fhart
04-24-2005, 22:16
It seems the south gets a "freak" snowstorm about very spring. On April 2nd, 1987, 2 days before I got to Springer, there was a storm that blanketed the whole area and dumped 3 feet of snow in the smokies. In 1988 I got hit by several inches of snow on Big Bald, 1998, 2 solid days of snow through GSMNP, and this photo (http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2552/sort/1/size/medium/cat/500/page/1) was taken just before Trail Days in mid-May, 2001. Quite often I have better weather where I live in NH than the south gets in the spring.

Just Jeff
04-24-2005, 23:28
Woke up to a dusty snow cover this morning in Asheville. Went up to Hot Springs yesterday for Trailfest. Was a cold rainy day but there was a fair turn out.
I camped at the Hot Springs campground Fri-Sun, and woke up to the snow this morning. According to weather.com, the low was only 37F last night but the snow was starting to stick at about 10am. I left for my drive back to Charleston before any serious accumulation, but a handful of thrus were hiking out of town yesterday and today.

Wonder if it's still snowing up there?

MedicineMan
04-24-2005, 23:45
with you skill in photography I hope you can return to Grayson someday in clear weather.

Nean
04-25-2005, 09:36
We got about 2'' here at Allen Gap and got down below freezing. Sun broke out late yesterday and melted what was left. Beautiful today!

Jaybird
04-25-2005, 09:46
in May 2004...with "the Model T crew", i was hiking along....cold morning....low 30s....we had rain in the morning....sleet in the afternoon with gale force winds....& then snow in the late afternoon.....

man, it was a COLD night @ ICEWATER HOUSE SHELTER!
hehehehehehehe :D

stomparound85
04-25-2005, 12:41
I work at a camp on the other side of sugar MOuntain near Newland NC. Saturday we had a group up from South Carolina and we took about 10 people up the ropes course our hands were freezing. the woke up Sunday morning to about 4-5 inches of snow on the ground still coming down.

rgarling
04-25-2005, 12:47
Hope this link works. This is a picture taken on Saturday, heading north just before the decent into Davenport gap:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/6978/sort/1/cat/509/page/1

Scaper
04-25-2005, 14:50
Snow at the higher elevations in N.C. AND T.N. is very common until mid may. Now 4 feet of snow in the first week in may is very, very rare but it did happen in the smokies about 10 years ago and has happened before that but 4 to 7 inches of snow in late April is fairly common in the smokies higher elevations.

Big Dawg
04-25-2005, 15:52
Just got in yesterday from a section hike heading north from Allen Gap--started Thurs. 4/21 hiking in the 70's, enjoying a warm spring hike!!,,,,, came out yesterday at Sam's Gap from Hogback ridge shelter postholing in 6"- 8" of snow,, ahhhh, what a fun time adapting to this crazy weather here in NC/TN??!! It's all good! :clap :clap I'll save Big Bald for another warm sunny day!! :sun

Brushy Sage
04-25-2005, 19:27
I just drove in from Maryland (4/25 p.m.). There is still snow in the forest along the high ridge lines of NC/TN, though it is going away quickly. The temp at Sams Gap was 52.

orangebug
04-25-2005, 19:31
The GSMNP webcams showed snow fading fast, especially at Purchase Knob looking toward Cold Mtn.

Just looked as the sunset casts a shadow. Snow is gone!

SGT Rock
04-25-2005, 19:46
Talk to a friend that stayed up on Scott Mountain the other night. He got about an inch with the temps in the 20's. Me, I got to sit my butt in town and wish I was up there.