PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking Clubs in NC

Josh Calhoun
07-17-2012, 10:46
i have been searching for a very active backpacking club in NC. i have ran across 2 that seem to be ok. Berg and club south. anybody have any reviews or know of any others? i live in the charlotte area.

most of the clubs i see do mostly day hikes. i am wanting to do weekend and week long back packing trips.

i could creat my own hiking club but not really wanting to venture into that at the moment.

Drybones
07-17-2012, 12:07
I have the same problem in AL, joined a meetup group out of Birmingham and met a few backpackers that occasionally hike but not often enough. Google your area and see what pops up.

Captain Blue
07-17-2012, 12:12
Check out Meetup.com. This seems to be where all the hiking and backpacking is these days.

10-K
07-17-2012, 12:14
Carolina Mt. Club out of Asheville is very active. Here's their hiking schedule. http://www.carolinamountainclub.org/index.cfm/do/pages.view/id/7/page/Hike-Schedule

Tennessee Viking
07-17-2012, 13:22
TEHCC and Carolina Mtn has a variety of trips. Weekly and scheduled day hikes. Then week long trips.
TEHCC also has equipment rentals for members.

THOG is centered around Raleigh but they have a variety of day and overnight hikes.

PATH is the AT club HQ around Raleigh/Greensboro but they maintain a section of AT in VA.

10-K
07-17-2012, 13:29
TEHCC and Carolina Mtn has a variety of trips. Weekly and scheduled day hikes. Then week long trips.
TEHCC also has equipment rentals for members.

THOG is centered around Raleigh but they have a variety of day and overnight hikes.

PATH is the AT club HQ around Raleigh/Greensboro but they maintain a section of AT in VA.

You have to be associated with Eastman in order to rent equipement. Peons like me who just join can't rent... :)

Tennessee Viking
07-17-2012, 13:57
Really...all I had to do was show my TEHCC member card. Then again my father works at Eastman.

10-K
07-17-2012, 15:25
Really...all I had to do was show my TEHCC member card. Then again my father works at Eastman.

There you go. :)

I just read up on TEHCC the other day - my wife has gotten the kayak bug and looking for clubs to paddle with.

I'lll probably join so I can get my butt out and learn how to build trails...

Ladytrekker
07-17-2012, 16:10
I am surprised you have connected thru meetup.com. I started a group in Florida and we started out hiking now have evolved going into our 3rd year we do alot of different things we kayak in the summer mostly and hike and backpack in the fall winter then added some biking and adventure races we have a blast hope you find one its great to get a group of friends to play with on weekends that like the same things we need the break from the 8 to 5 work week stress.
www.meetup.com/florida-trekkers

dale1627
07-17-2012, 16:15
10-K, I believe that TEHCC has a weekly white water kayak class that they do in Johnson City once a week or so. I've never done it since my kayaking involves fishing the Holston Rivers and Patrick Henry with the occasional trout outing on Wilbur. There are also two other hiking clubs that I've heard of out of the tri-cities. I can't recall their names but I believe that one of them maintains the Iron mountain trail.

Creek Dancer
07-17-2012, 16:34
If you want to join a THOG event, be prepared for a telephone interview and a request to meet you in person before they will allow you to hike with them. I thought it was ridiculous.

HeartFire
07-17-2012, 17:21
Marta was very active with the Bergs, I'll pass this thread on to her. I've hiked with them a little, and taught wilderness first aid classes to the group.

sarge95
07-17-2012, 17:52
10-K we would be happy to have you anytime you are interested it joining the maintenance club. We go out almost every Tuesday. We have Konnorock down for maintenance the weekend of the 26th of July. Just make contack with the Maintenance Coordinator at TEHCC and come out and join us. The hikers go out every Friday. Im not sure when the kayak group meet but its weekly.

Marta
07-17-2012, 19:54
The Bergs in Charlotte do any sort of outdoor activity the members are willing to organize. When I was active in the club, I organized a lot of backpacking trips. I don't think anyone has taken up that banner since I left.

You should probably know that the Bergs club was formed in the 70s. Most of the members are of a certain age. :-) Some of the members are very fit and like to do very aggressive hikes.

Emerson Bigills
07-17-2012, 22:15
Josh, I hike with the Bergs a few times each year. I have only done day hikes with them. As others have said, their hikes vary in difficulty, with one group doing some very challenging (high miles and fast pace) day hikes on a regular basis. Virtually every hike I have had with them has been at a pretty fair clip. Really nice people.

I have migrated more toward weekend and longer hikes. Spending 4-5 hours driving to and from Charlotte to a trailhead makes me appreciate overnight and multi night hikes even more. The payback is more time in the backwoods and less time on the highway.

There are several WB posters who live in the Charlotte area. I would be interested in sharing the trail, and the carpool to the trailhead with others from our area. Feel free to post or PM anytime you are thinking of heading into the mountains for a weekend.

-Mike

theinfamousj
07-18-2012, 23:15
I was a member of THOG for a while, though it was before the era of the phone interview. Even back then, they were more afraid of letting the wrong kind of element in to the club, as they'd kick you out if you didn't go to something for a period of two or more months, and that wrong kind of element was someone who picked and chose what to do and/or didn't follow the rather complex bylaws to the letter. I left because I backpack/hike to avoid stress and complexity, not increase it. That said, the people I met were nice as I find all hikers/backpackers to be.

HYOH!