PDA

View Full Version : Water north of Pinkham Notch?

LIhikers
07-17-2012, 11:30
In about a week my wife and I will be starting at New Hampshire's Pinkham Notch and hiking north for a week to 10 days.
Does anyone have recent info about the water situation on that part of the AT?

sixhusbands
07-17-2012, 11:51
In about a week my wife and I will be starting at New Hampshire's Pinkham Notch and hiking north for a week to 10 days.
Does anyone have recent info about the water situation on that part of the AT?

I am assuming that you are taking the AT on this trek. Your first accent across from Pinkham will be the Wildcat Range and there is water at Carter Notch hut at mile 5. From there it is dry until you reach Imp shelter and then dry until you get back near Rattle River shelter near Rt 2. Most of the trail into Maine will fine.
Sounds like you might even make it to the Mahoosic Notch. That is a really cool part of the trail and this time of year will be perfect.

have a great trip

Turk6177
07-17-2012, 17:38
There is a spring halfway up Wildcat that is signed, but I have no knowledge if it is seasonal or always running. I did the hike from Pinkham Notch to Carter notch hut last year. Climbing Wildcat was very strenuous, but worth it for the beauty. I am just curious, but where are you staying the first night?

Humbuck
07-17-2012, 21:30
From there it is dry until you reach Imp shelter and then dry until you get back near Rattle River shelter near Rt 2.

Sixhusbands is right. I just hiked that section a couple days ago. For the purposes of planning, you won't actually have to go down to the shelter. The water is right on the trail by a bog bridge just before you get to the Imp Shelter trail. Very easy access.

LIhikers
07-20-2012, 11:14
Thanks for the info folks!
We'll be leaving in a few days.
Our itnerary has boiled down to this
1st - Hike route 2 to Pinkham Notch
2nd - Hike Carlo Col trail to the AT and then hike back to route 2

peakbagger
07-20-2012, 13:09
FYI, if you havent been on success pond road this year, the road is very rough for the first mile or so. The current timberland owner isnt adding gravel so all there is a road base, he has stripped so much off the road that many culverts are exposed and broken leaving a very sharp lip to eat tires. You can avoid them but its slow.