PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail Bugs

c63
04-24-2005, 15:26
Is there a black fly season in Vermont like there is in Maine? Is starting a northbound Long Trail thru-hike in mid to late May to early?

Cookerhiker
04-24-2005, 20:05
I'm dating myself in that I completed the Long Trail in 1981. I hiked it in sections and hiked every Memorial Day weekend from 1977 to 1981. My answer: it depends on the weather. I remember distinctly that in 1978 with unseasonably warm weather, we experienced the worst black flies. They were insufferable one night around Pico Lodge. We had some in 1977 also, but at least the cool nights drove them away. Black flies provide a good incentive to rise early and get going before it's warm enough for them to look for their blood breakfast. In 1979, 4 days of all-day pouring rains put a literal damper on the black fly population. 1980 was great sunny but cool weather; the flies weren't bad. 1981 was cool and damp, hence not too many flies. So for your mental preparation, watch the weather forecast and hope for cool weather.

Peaks
04-24-2005, 20:09
Yes, there is definately the same black fly season as Maine. However, probably not as intense. In general, much of the Long Trail is less swampy than much of the AT in Maine.

And there are places like Glostenbury that seem to be buggy no matter when during the summer.

JoeHiker
04-25-2005, 10:47
When exactly IS black fly season, anyway?

BookBurner
04-25-2005, 13:45
I don't know about black files, but I understand that May is the height of mud season on the Long Trail, for what it's worth. And it's the deep, sticky, turd-brown, gets all over your shins, too wide to go around, never dries kind of mud! Maybe you can smear some of it on you to keep the flies at bay.

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

The Hog
04-25-2005, 13:48
Black flies look like gnats, but bite hard, and the bite leaves a scar. They can drive you nuts. Vermont's black fly season isn't nearly as bad as Maine and northern NH, but they are still a nuisance from mid May to mid July. As has been mentioned, some days are better than others (windy days are good), and dry years typically have only a smattering of flies.

Kerosene
04-25-2005, 14:03
I don't know about black files, but I understand that May is the height of mud season on the Long Trail, for what it's worth. In fact, I believe that there are sections that are either officially closed due to mud or where hiking is at least discouraged.

Cookerhiker
04-25-2005, 14:49
In fact, I believe that there are sections that are either officially closed due to mud or where hiking is at least discouraged.
Per my Long Trail Guide (copyright 2000), "The Green Mountain Club strongly encourages hikers to avoid higher elevation trails during the Spring 'mud season' (usually late March through the end of May)." [emphasis added] The Guide goes on to say that the State of Vermont closes trails over Mt. Mansfield and Camel's Hump from mid-April until Memorial Day weekend. The Guide also requests no hiking over Statton Mountain, Killington-to-Pico, the Lincoln Ridge, and Jay Peak.:rolleyes:

Tramper Al
04-25-2005, 15:13
In fact, I believe that there are sections that are either officially closed due to mud or where hiking is at least discouraged.
Well, the GMC policy / announcements seem to be a little different each year.

In the past, there has been a gradation of limitations for certain elevations by certain dates. Then, you could actually look up each section and see at which date (in May generally), the recommendation to stay off the LT was lifted for a given elevation.

You should always go to the source, the GMC's mud season page (http://www.greenmountainclub.org/page.php?id=60), and you'll see that this year it is a blanket request to 'stay off hiking trails until Memorial Day'.

In addition to the GMC request / recommendations, the trails on Camel's Hump and Mansfield (these are state parks) are officially closed by the state for this same period.

Hope that helps.

plodder
04-25-2005, 16:27

After you are sick of cold, damp weather and have to wonder why you live in the tundra, and before the tourists become totally distastful. 5/15 to July is a good handle. Anyone remember a year with a big rain that flushed them to the sea?

Peaks
04-25-2005, 17:39

Generally speaking, after mud season until the first really hot spell. Up north, that can mean early to mid July.

c63
04-25-2005, 18:42
Thanks for the info on the mud season, I wasn't aware of that. I guess i'll hold off then on hiking the Long Trail till around mid June. I know most hike the Long Trail in mid July and August, however my whole point of hiking it early is to avoid crowds. I guess I can knock off some AT miles before that possibly in New York, Mass., and Conn.

JoeHiker
04-25-2005, 23:22
Thanks for the info on the mud season, I wasn't aware of that. I guess i'll hold off then on hiking the Long Trail till around mid June. I know most hike the Long Trail in mid July and August, however my whole point of hiking it early is to avoid crowds. I guess I can knock off some AT miles before that possibly in New York, Mass., and Conn.Most hike it in July and August? That seems strange. I figured the peak time would be in the fall around foliage season. That's when I'm going anyway. I'm glad it won't be so crowded.

A-Train
04-26-2005, 00:17
I started 6/2 last year. In general the bugs weren't terrible, but they did get bad around Stratton. They were heinous in some spots though (Stratton Pond, Congdon shelter). If you start in late may or early june, there aren't many people out on the LT yet, at least as far as backpackers goes, maybe a couple early AT thru-hikers. Mud wasn't a problem.

For bugs I'd definately have a tent, Deet, head net and long clothing

Peaks
04-26-2005, 08:33
Most hike it in July and August? That seems strange. I figured the peak time would be in the fall around foliage season. That's when I'm going anyway. I'm glad it won't be so crowded.

Well, think about when the peak times are for summer vacations. It's July and August. But, not only vacationers hike the trails. There are numerous summer camp groups out there. Also, no matter when you go, there are more people on the trails on the weekends than during the week, especially on holiday weekends.

In fall, days are shorter, and the weather cooler. While it's a great time to backpack, the numbers are not there. Lots of day hikers however.

Wastrel
04-26-2005, 16:02
For the most definitive information and up to date reports visit the Maine Black Fly Breeders Association at www.maineblackfly.com (http://www.maineblackfly.com)