PDA

View Full Version : Monson, ME to Katahdin

Veetack
07-17-2012, 18:01
So I have a few friends that are thru-hiking right now, and I'm strongly considering meeting them in Monson and heading to Katahdin with them from there. It will be probably late September when it's time to go, and basically I have a few questions:

1) I can hike 20+ days in Georgia and the Smokies, are they possible in that stretch?
2) Is 5-7 days from Monson to Baxter possible, including the summit of K?
3) I plan on flying into Bangor, as plane tickets are relatively inexpensive from Knoxville to Bangor. Anyone know of any reputable and cheap shuttles to Monson from Bangor?
4) will I need cold weather gear during that time in Maine?

Any input helps.

RED-DOG
07-17-2012, 18:14
Your Thru-hiker friends are trail hardend, you will not be able to keep up with them, 5-7 days from Monson to baxter and the summit 20 miles in that stretch for them yes for you no they will walk you in the ground, they are shuttles in that area but their anything but cheap very exspensive. and yes take some cold weather gear. Happy hiking and Enjoy

Veetack
07-17-2012, 18:33
The way we hike is we go on our way during the day and meet up at the shelters at night. They're both multiple offenders on the AT (one is on his second thru, the other his third) and I've hiked with them before and had no problem keeping up. If you ask people that have hiked with me, I hike "stupid fast." Some would even say I'm too fast to stop and smell the roses. I'm not worried about being able to keep up. I'm not new to hiking, just have never done it up there. Bangor is an hour and a half from Monson, so I'm hoping I can spend less than $100 for a shuttle...

RED-DOG
07-17-2012, 18:50
Sure just make sure the shelters isn't too far, cause ME is the Hardest state on the AT you might be able to do 20+ miles in GA, 15-18 miles is more like it in ME, yeah 100 dollars sounds about right for shuttle. i lucked out i was able to hitch a ride to Bangor costed me 20 dollars. check around Bangor alot of the park Rangers live in that area you might be able to get a ride for nothing. but in 06 it costed me 75$ from Baxter to Bangor.

fredmugs
07-17-2012, 19:51
So I have a few friends that are thru-hiking right now, and I'm strongly considering meeting them in Monson and heading to Katahdin with them from there. It will be probably late September when it's time to go, and basically I have a few questions:

1) I can hike 20+ days in Georgia and the Smokies, are they possible in that stretch?
2) Is 5-7 days from Monson to Baxter possible, including the summit of K?
3) I plan on flying into Bangor, as plane tickets are relatively inexpensive from Knoxville to Bangor. Anyone know of any reputable and cheap shuttles to Monson from Bangor?
4) will I need cold weather gear during that time in Maine?

Any input helps.

1. Yes but the hardest part is in the beginning with the stream crossings and the Chairback Mtn area. After that it's pretty easy. After the climb past Gulf Hagas it's cake and Katahdin isn't really that hard.
2. YES
3. Don't know
4. Most likely

markc7
07-17-2012, 23:13
Shaw's will shuttle you from bangor to Monson for about 70$.

Veetack
07-17-2012, 23:58
That's what I like to hear. Keeps my entire trip under $500

fredmugs
07-18-2012, 09:03

I find that very hard to believe since they charge more for a shuttle to the Jo Mary Rd.

brian039
07-18-2012, 15:18
I'd plan on 5-6 days and it would be worth it to do a resupply at Whitehouse Landing to cut down on your weight in the beginning because that is the hardest part. I wouldn't plan on staying there though because it could slow you down so try to get there before lunch and have a burger, resupply, hang out for a bit then leave. You can probably expect to do around 15 the first couple of days and then 20 or so after that. You'll need your cold weather gear for the Chairbacks and Katahdin. Don't forget the gloves and hat!

Quadzilla
07-18-2012, 15:50
The 100 Mile Wilderness is a rugged and ragged section of Trail. The profile maps can be deceiving since they don't show the mud holes, the tangle of slippery roots, the slick rocks and boulder strewn footpath. Most people are in for a surprise when they come to Maine and realize the Trail in Maine is more challenging and difficult the they expect. Yes...you can hike this section in 5-7 days, but be prepared for the pain that will accompany you along the way....So far, the weather has been hot and sticky with afternoon thunderstorms. The bug stituation has abated and the river fords are manageable. Dry conditions prevail and the spring at Chairback Gap LT has dried up. I wouldn't bother with cold weather gear, but just make sure you have dry clothes and a fleece at days end. Hope this helps www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info)

markc7
07-18-2012, 16:36
I find that very hard to believe since they charge more for a shuttle to the Jo Mary Rd.

I find it easy to believe since that's what they charged me last month for that shuttle.

Smooth & Wasabi
07-18-2012, 16:44
Go for it. Worst case you have to ditch before K and you spend a little more money than you want. You only live once. Your buddies must know what you hike like.

teachergal
07-20-2012, 13:09
I can't speak for the 100 mile wilderness but I can say that the 10 miles of AT inside Baxter - from Abol Bridge to Katahdin Stream is very easy! My dad and I day hiked it last week and it was mostly flat or gradually uphill. It was a great day hike and much easier than the 3 mile "quick jaunt" around Kidney Pond the day before...there was a section of the hike around Kidney Pond that was so overgrown the weeds were up to my neck and the blazes were gone!

ferdEggmont
07-27-2012, 20:23
I finished my Nobo thru on July 1st. 20+ miles are absolutely possible in the 100 mile wilderness, but like someone said before- I had my trail legs and your friends will too. I was able to do it in 4.5 days with 18 miles the last day, including the summit of Katahdin- so it is possible, but again the trail legs will the biggest factor to keep in mind. The 100 mile is pretty easy with only a couple of major climbs. I can't answer your other two questions, but the best of luck!