PDA

View Full Version : Most difficult section of the AT

Miami Joe
07-17-2012, 20:12
I realize this question and topic is relative based on weather and other factors, but I'm interested to know people's opinions on the most difficult section of the AT. When I say "section," I don't mean it in the traditional sense established on this forum. More specifically, I'm referring to sections between shelters. This weekend I took my 16-year-old son and brother on a three-day loop in the GSMNP, which actually turned out to be a two-day loop because of an emergency back home. (Brother's baby was sick. He's OK.)

We started the loop at Tremont Institute and hiked the three miles up the road to Middle Prong Trail b/c the road was closed. (Many of the trails in GSMNP are closed do to a violent storm two weeks ago. The closings effected our loop but I'll get to that in a second.) From Middle Prong we took Greenbrier Ridge Trail up to the AT and camped in a two-man tent and hammock at Derrick Knob Shelter. Great night at Derrick. Temps in the 50s and with a strong breeze all night.

ANYWAY, the "section" between Derrick Knob Shelter and Spence Field Shelter (southbound, obviously) was every bit as rewarding as it was challenging. The hike up Brier Knob was especially tough. From there, we descended into a Beechnut Gap and then marched up Thunderhead Mountain. It got me thinking, what's the most difficult section between shelters on the AT?

To finish up the story, we ate lunch at Spence Field and descended down into the valley on Bote Mountain Trail (very muddy from all the horse traffic). We had planned to continue onto West Prong Trail to complete the loop but West Prong was closed to traffic because of the storm. We instead turned northwest onto Anthony Creek Trail and hiked out at Cades Cove. We had planned on camping at Spence Field Shelter the second night but had to hike out and get back home. Great little trip despite the change in plans. My son had a blast. I'll post his pics on my page.

tdoczi
07-17-2012, 20:20
Well since this question when asked in the usual sense of sections often becomes an argument over whether mahoosuc arm or notch is harder I'm going to go with full goose shelter to speck pond shelter.

Wise Old Owl
07-17-2012, 20:57
It doesn't matter ... its the one section in front of you after that its easy. Concur your fears.

Miami Joe
07-17-2012, 21:10
My sentiments exactly.

Lone Wolf
07-17-2012, 21:57
the section where you ain't havin' fun no more is the toughest. the AT is physically challenging for a lot of folks, especially section hikers. it's a choice to be out there. no whinin' allowed. it really is just walkin'. you want tough, run a 50 mile trail ultra in under 12 hours

Cookerhiker
07-17-2012, 22:03
... More specifically, I'm referring to sections between shelters...ANYWAY, the "section" between Derrick Knob Shelter and Spence Field Shelter (southbound, obviously) was every bit as rewarding as it was challenging. The hike up Brier Knob was especially tough. From there, we descended into a Beechnut Gap and then marched up Thunderhead Mountain. It got me thinking, what's the most difficult section between shelters on the AT?....

My Smokies' section hike was SOBO and I well remember how taxing the ascents up Brier Knob and Thunderhead were.

But by your definition of "section," that is shelter-to-shelter, it's not the hardest on the whole AT. I'm not going to single one "most difficult" but the following in Maine are much more challenging:

1. Full Goose Shelter to Old Speck Shelter - up Fulling Mountain, down through Mahoosuc Notch, and up Mahoosuc Arm.
2. Hall Mountain Lean-to to Bemis Lean-to - includes very steep descent into Sawyer Notch, ascending Moody Mountain and after crossing South Arm Road, a 2,200' ascent to Old Blue in 2.8 miles followed by more up-and-down until finally reaching Bemis LT.
3. Horns Pond LT to Little Bigalow LT - crossing the Bigalows. Barely 10 miles but you ascend 1000s of feet. The descent into Safford Notch is particularly grueling.

And there's more...

coach lou
07-17-2012, 22:10
My Smokies' section hike was SOBO and I well remember how taxing the ascents up Brier Knob and Thunderhead were.

But by your definition of "section," that is shelter-to-shelter, it's not the hardest on the whole AT. I'm not going to single one "most difficult" but the following in Maine are much more challenging:

. Horns Pond LT to Little Bigalow LT - crossing the Bigalows. Barely 10 miles but you ascend 1000s of feet. The descent into Safford Notch is particularly grueling.

And there's more...

That sounds wonderful:eek: Andy......are you reading this?

Veetack
07-17-2012, 22:18
My toughest section in GSMNP was Derrick Knob to Double Spring Gap. For some reason, the hike from Russel Field to Derrick Knob had absolutely drained me, so getting to Siler's Bald shelter was really really taxing. Siler's Bald to Derrick Knob was a cakewalk though.

hikerboy57
07-17-2012, 22:23
I did the mahoosucs sobo,and cming down mahoosuc arm in a light drizzle was about as wild eild as it g.ets.but i like a challenge. I enjoyed every second of it. it's gonna be fun.

moldy
07-17-2012, 23:13
The most difficult section of the AT is not quite on the AT. It the section that knocks out the most hikers. The approach trail to Springer Mt. It has caused more people to quit than the Whites. You can look it up.

Veetack
07-18-2012, 00:04
I will say this, and I've said it many times before. Whoever saidn Georgia is the hardest part of the south got off the trail at Bly Gap. IMHO, NC is exponentially harder than Georgia.

coach lou
07-18-2012, 05:34
The most difficult section of the AT is not quite on the AT. It the section that knocks out the most hikers. The approach trail to Springer Mt. It has caused more people to quit than the Whites. You can look it up.

But Moldy, how many people start in the Whites?

Humbuck
07-18-2012, 06:25

I hear ya, moldy, but just because a hiker isn't in shape doesn't mean the section that took him/her off the trail is the hardest. Besides, someone should have told them about the parking lot 1 mile below Springer. :)

fredmugs
07-18-2012, 09:00
Well since this question when asked in the usual sense of sections often becomes an argument over whether mahoosuc arm or notch is harder I'm going to go with full goose shelter to speck pond shelter.

+1 on that. SOBO down the Arm on a wet trail was the hardest thing I've done. The reward is going thru the Notch which I actually enjoyed but it's no picnic. By comparison there is nothing difficult south of say Moosilauke. I never believed it either until I got there.

Miami Joe
07-18-2012, 20:46
the section where you ain't havin' fun no more is the toughest. the AT is physically challenging for a lot of folks, especially section hikers. it's a choice to be out there. no whinin' allowed. it really is just walkin'. you want tough, run a 50 mile trail ultra in under 12 hours
Yes, I want tough.