PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Camping on the Colorado Trail

Hennessy
07-18-2012, 00:39
I will be moving to Denver sometime within the next couple of years, and before I settle in I plan on thru-hiking the Colorado Trail. My question is, with the fact that much of the trail is above the timberline, are there a lot of instances where a hammock wouldn't be feasible? I'm not too worried about cold - I have a "four season" solution. My concern is lack of trees. How often will I have to just drag out the tarp that came with my hammock and camp under it with my thermarest?

Also, how wide are the trees? Would I need bigger straps? Smaller ones?

fiddlehead
07-18-2012, 02:55
I wouldn't say that the CO trail is above treeline all that much.

I remember a few instances when there was a junction and the CO Trail went one way and the CDT went the other. Often times it was the latter trail that went up above treeline but the CO trail stayed down in the trees.
I've done both but they've both had their relos since then.

But I think it's safe to say you could get away with it.
Sometime's the trees weren't that big, or few and far between but, if you have time to choose a spot, you could find something most every night.

Good luck and have fun.

Cookerhiker
07-18-2012, 06:42
On most of last year's thruhike, we camped among trees and where we didn't, they were often nearby. But you will have a challenge in Segments 20 through the first half of 24 where tree cover is scarce.

For my part, camping in open alpine places was one of the "high points" both literally and figuratively.

bearcreek
07-18-2012, 10:21
Longest stretch of the CT (also for the entire CDT) above treeline is in CT segments 22-24. From 9 miles past Spring Creek Pass to about three miles down Elk Creek. A little over 31 miles. Hammock will work everywhere else. A little planning and you would only have to cowboy it one night. Be aware that this portion of the trail also sees a lot of precipitation.

gunner76
07-18-2012, 17:56
Contact Cannibal over on Hammockforums.net. He is a long time hanger who lives out there.

Hennessy
07-19-2012, 20:37
Thank you for all the replies!