PDA

View Full Version : Camping in and around Big Meadows in the Shenandoah's?

The Kisco Kid
07-18-2012, 10:21
Headed out next weekend to do the northern half of the Shenandoah's. I plan on filling up at Big Meadows lodge Tap Room one evening.

Tent sites are completely booked at the nearby campground. Any ideas where I can stay? Can I cowboy camp in the area?

AAhiker
07-18-2012, 10:51
Unfortunately no. It isn't designated as a wilderness area so you have to camp at the designated sites or at one of the lean-to/camping areas. You don't have to stay at the campground. I am not sure at the immediate moment what the closest shelter is but I am sure there is one within 5 miles.

TheBirdman
07-18-2012, 11:39
Rock Spring Hut is a couple miles past Big Meadows Campground (going NOBO).

Hanriver
07-18-2012, 12:19
We stealth camped in the trees just south of the water tank. A couple minute walk to the lodge. Allowed us to eat dinner and then breakfast at the lodge. There were about 4 other thru hikers set up in that area. Recommend you don't set up until evening. No one is looking for stealth campers. Just use common sense.

The Kisco Kid
07-18-2012, 12:50
We stealth camped in the trees just south of the water tank. A couple minute walk to the lodge.

Thanks for the tip. What did you do with your food bags?

mikec
07-18-2012, 13:12
There used to be a shelter at the water tank years ago. Also, bring lots of cash when frequenting the tap room. Drafts are about $5.00 each.

Cookerhiker
07-18-2012, 13:16
I thought that Big Meadows Campground had a few walk-in tenting sites reserved for backpackers but I couldn't find anything on the Park's website. Perhaps you could call them.

SCRUB HIKER
07-18-2012, 13:25
We stealth camped in the trees just south of the water tank. A couple minute walk to the lodge. Allowed us to eat dinner and then breakfast at the lodge. There were about 4 other thru hikers set up in that area. Recommend you don't set up until evening. No one is looking for stealth campers. Just use common sense.

I thought that Big Meadows Campground had a few walk-in tenting sites reserved for backpackers but I couldn't find anything on the Park's website. Perhaps you could call them.

I heard of people doing both of these last year. Personally I went the next three miles to Rock Springs Hut after snagging dinnertime trail magic at Big Meadows. An easy three miles, though maybe less so if you've just finished up at the bar. I had given SNP enough of my money at that point to want to stop.

thestin
07-18-2012, 13:27
Be aware that camping in an area not designated as such can get you a ticket in the Park. Rangers are not shy about issuing tickets.

thestin
07-18-2012, 13:30
There are a few walk in sites. If I remember correctly they are 17 bucks each. They are near the kiosk.

RevLee
07-18-2012, 15:25
Here are the regulations for backcountry camping in Shenandoah.
http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm

Plenty of places to camp as long as you follow rules.

scree
07-18-2012, 17:12
Be aware that camping in an area not designated as such can get you a ticket in the Park. Rangers are not shy about issuing tickets.

How much are the tickets?