PDA

View Full Version : Old growth forest in the Smokies

MuddyWaters
07-18-2012, 19:56
My son wants to see old growth forest in the smokies.

Does the AT go thru any impressive old growth, or would it require sidetrail hike? Or possiby hiking in from another trailhead somewhere.

WingedMonkey
07-18-2012, 20:08
For truly OLD growth and Huge trees take a side trip to Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest But there are only a few miles of day trails there.

rmitchell
07-18-2012, 21:01
Albright Grove in the Smokies is about 7 miles north of the AT. Google Albright Grove Great Smokies for images. The grove of old growth trees is a .7 mile loop off the Maddron Bald trail in the Cosby/Greenbrier section of the park.

You can do a day hike form Hwy 73 near Cosby. Or you can do a moderate 2 night loop out of Cosby Campground using campsites 34 and 29.

It could also be accessed via the Snake Den Ridge trail at Inadu Knob (between Cosby Knob and Tri-corner).

There are some huge trees there.

T-Rx
07-18-2012, 21:03
Not the AT, but the Albright grove is old growth in the smokies with some very impressive trees.

Wise Old Owl
07-18-2012, 21:09
Martin I know how to look up OGF and get you there. you may not have to go to the smokies. However you - like myself covered the start point. SO please pm me where you are approx located and I will be happy to look up free of charge a nearby OGF.... see my gallery! Always willing to help.

XrayDuke
07-18-2012, 22:25
Old growth forest on the hike to Ramsey Cascades in the Smokies. Not on the AT but some huge trees along the way.

Mike2012
07-19-2012, 01:12
It was sad to see all the majestic hemlocks felled by the tiny wooly adelgid aphid in the south. Gregarious Reishi mushrooms did not make up for their absence. Hope we find resistant hemlocks somewhere.......

daddytwosticks
07-19-2012, 07:18
Hemlocks are crapping out big time in my neck of the woods. It is a real shame. :(

Digger'02
07-19-2012, 10:14
Hemlocks are crapping out big time in my neck of the woods. It is a real shame. :(

The Snake Den Ridge trail has some old growth on the lower ends and connects to the AT