PDA

View Full Version : may 2005 NOBO start

Ta1kingDirt
04-24-2005, 21:17
I'm planning a thru-hike to start May 8th and need to finish by mid-late August, but my hiking buddy seems to have pooped out on me (no word from him for over a month). Are there any NOBO's leaving then that might be interested in hooking up fo an ambitious hike together?

"Pyro"
[email protected]
(because I can... A dancing babana::banana )

hauptman
04-24-2005, 21:31
I am also starting on May 8th, but I will probably be going solo. Maybe we will run into each other though. See you out there!!!

Panzer1
04-24-2005, 23:43
3 months and a week is not a lot of time to do a thru.

Panzer

Glory Bound
04-25-2005, 13:32
I'll be a week ahead of you, but we share a common goal- mid August Katahdin- if you can catch up to me, I'm planning to start kind of slow and make up time later- I wouldn't mind hiking with you some-

Glory Bound
NorthBound May 1 '05
[email protected]

hookshot
04-26-2005, 00:28
I'm leaving May 12 and am going to be attempting the same type of pace. I want to go solo, but if I manage to catch up I'll be happy to hike with you for a few.

neo
04-26-2005, 01:08
you can do it if you hike 22 miles every day and dont take any zero days,its doable:cool: neo

A-Train
04-26-2005, 16:10
To anyone attempting a 100 odd day thru-hike:

I wouldn't be discouraged by what people may say on here, since it's not their cup of tea. It is very fast compared to the average of 170 days or so. But a few motivated people do it each yr and it's very possible. You don't need to kill yourself from the start, doing 30 mile days. I would just stay as consistent as possible and avoid taking full days off at a time. If I were to attempt that I would leave Springer doing 12-15 mile days and slowly building up. Once in Virginia i'd try to get the steady every day average to 20 or more and get that closer to 25 for most of the journey, once again slowing down in new england to 15-20 miles a day, and concluding in northern maine with a couple large days.

Anyway, if you want it enough, it is totally possible. Most people ON the trail will think your nuts, and comment about how they can't imagine doing it that way and that you must be missing out on the experience. You will most likely almost never see the same folks again and it's VERy unlikely you'll find many, if any other people who can or want to do those miles on a consistent basis. It will seem like work only if you make it that way.

Good luck to all!

The Solemates
04-26-2005, 16:20
To anyone attempting a 100 odd day thru-hike:

I wouldn't be discouraged by what people may say on here, since it's not their cup of tea. It is very fast compared to the average of 170 days or so. But a few motivated people do it each yr and it's very possible. You don't need to kill yourself from the start, doing 30 mile days. I would just stay as consistent as possible and avoid taking full days off at a time. If I were to attempt that I would leave Springer doing 12-15 mile days and slowly building up. Once in Virginia i'd try to get the steady every day average to 20 or more and get that closer to 25 for most of the journey, once again slowing down in new england to 15-20 miles a day, and concluding in northern maine with a couple large days.

Anyway, if you want it enough, it is totally possible. Most people ON the trail will think your nuts, and comment about how they can't imagine doing it that way and that you must be missing out on the experience. You will most likely almost never see the same folks again and it's VERy unlikely you'll find many, if any other people who can or want to do those miles on a consistent basis. It will seem like work only if you make it that way.

Good luck to all!

excellent, excellent thoughts and advice.
we completed ours in 150 days and what we thought was a very leisurely pace. 100 days is possible, just not for everyone.

anneandbenhike
04-26-2005, 17:34
While section hiking from Franklin NC to Fontana Dam two years ago we met a guy who had left Springer on June first hoping to complete the hike in 100 days. He passed us going REALLY fast (we are 50-somethings and go moderate and steady speeds) and by the time we got close to Fontana, we passed him after he had an ankle injury. I do not think he was in multi mile hiking shape and was going off. The equivalent of a marathon every day was too much. He was having trouble carrying the food necessary to satisfy his caloric needs for such a challenge. He may have had a stress fracture as well. I do not know what happened to him but I am guessing that he did not make it.... no discouragement to you, but it is a stretch to go that far that fast. Good luck!

Footslogger
04-26-2005, 17:48
It's like A-Train said ...you've got to be motivated, but it's doable. I myself couldn't do it and wouldn't want to, but I met several hikers in 2003 who were.

Best of luck to you ...and happy trails,

'Slogger
AT 2003

hookshot
04-26-2005, 17:59
I appreciate the encouragement 'Slogger. The mindset I am taking is one of... I have 110 days, this is the last chance I will have to do a significant portion of the trail for the next 40 years or so, I will go as hard as I can without drastically increasing my risk of injury, and completion is my ultimate goal with enjoyment being a close second :D. It may not make sense to everyone, but I am very goal oriented and I would not receive full satisfaction from doing a leisurely hike, I enjoy pushing myself. I hope to meet as many cool people as possible and hiking at a faster than average pace will allow me to meet an above average number of people, even if I only get to spend a few minutes or hours with many of them.

Whistler
04-26-2005, 21:53
Leaving May 21 NOBO. Maybe I'll catch up to you "early" starters by the Mahoosucs.

Don't worry about pushing yourself hard or walking faster, just make sure to take advantage of all 14-15 hours of daylight we'll have. Not everyone is willing to make that kind of day-long commitment, but spreading the miles out will make it much less fatiguing.

See you out there... eventually!
-Mark

Ta1kingDirt
05-06-2005, 11:14
Just in case anyone meets me on the trail, mytrail name has recently been changed to "Prometheus". The name "pyro" I felt was less apt, and one of the people who gave it to me stood me up as a thru hiking partner this year(was gung-ho about it a few months ago, then stopped communicating) so I have some il feelings associated with the old name.
Leavign for Mt. Speonger tomorrow! I hope to meet up with some of you and wish you all happy, healthy hiking!

"Prometheus"

A-Train
05-06-2005, 12:02
Just in case anyone meets me on the trail, mytrail name has recently been changed to "Prometheus". The name "pyro" I felt was less apt, and one of the people who gave it to me stood me up as a thru hiking partner this year(was gung-ho about it a few months ago, then stopped communicating) so I have some il feelings associated with the old name.
Leavign for Mt. Speonger tomorrow! I hope to meet up with some of you and wish you all happy, healthy hiking!

"Prometheus"

Good luck to you, and enjoy! Just make sure you go to SPRINGER mtn :sun
Very envious of someone leaving this time of year, seems perfect to me.

Anyway, make sure to say hi to Ridgerunner A-Train in New Jersey when your passing thru there!