PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah Backpacking Route Help?

BanjoSHOES
07-19-2012, 13:42
Hi all,

My friend and I are looking to hike in Shenandoah on Aug 10-14. We are looking to start backpacking on the 10th at around noon so the first day needs to be short.. maybe 3-5 miles. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th days I would like to average 8-10 miles and the camping for the last night would ideally be very close to the ending point so we can make a quick and early exit on the 5th day.. So we are looking at about 28-35 miles. He is new to backpacking, so I want to keep it fun for him.

Does anyone have a good route recommendation that would fit with that? Is there anything that is a must hike? I am trying to give him a really awesome first experience. Any good waterfalls to play in?

I have all the necessary gear for backpacking for both of us. We only have one car so we would also need a shuttle service that would be able to pick us up on the 10th and drop us off at the beginning.. any recommendations there?

Thanks so much for the help!!

Malto
07-19-2012, 14:33
The big run area has a number of loops that can give you the mileage you're looking for. It is just south of Loft Mnt campground. I would recommend this over an AT only trip. The AT in SNP is not one of my favorite sections and it just isn't far enough away from the sights and sounds of civilization.

johnnybgood
07-19-2012, 17:07
Hello and welcome to Whiteblaze.

The month of August is probably the least likely time to see waterfalls in the park due to the traditionally dry summers here.
I'm sure your time is set in stone. but if there were an opportunity to change plans, October is possibly the most scenic time to visit Shenandoah

I would stay on the AT primarily because water will be available at the springs near the backcountry huts in addition to several other water sources in campgrounds,picnic areas,and waysides.

My suggestion is to do the central district of the park from Thornton Gap to Swift Run, approximately 34 miles, which fits nicely into your itinerary.

First night -- Hike south from Thornton Gap, -milepost 31 to Byrds Nest Shelter 3, 3.1 miles and an elevation gain of 1,100 ft.

Second night-- Continue south to Rock Spring Hut - 11 miles , water also available at Pinnacles Picnic Area and Skyland Lodge.

Third night -- Hike to Lewis Mountain Campground. Either stay there ($15 night or continue south for approx. another mile. There is a camp site just off the trail south of Lewis Mountain . Keep an eye peeled for this. Make sure to get water at the campground if moving on.

Fourth night--- Hike just south of South River Falls Picnic Area, and pitch your tents. This will keep you near a water source. The blueblaze trail to the picnic area and water spigot is a short distance from the AT. Your next morning hike is 3 miles to the car.

* There are a few sights to see off the trail that are note worthy : The blueblaze trail to Hawksbill Summit (elev.4,051) is a breathtaking near 360 degree view.
* Also there is the challenging Bearfence rock scramble up to a summit and great views that is a must see.

Map 10 of the Central District of Shenandoah National Park is the map I'd suggest buying.

canoe
07-19-2012, 17:57
Nice itenerary Johnny. Cant get much better than that. I would diffenantly stay in the southern or central section. More sites more wildlife and more amenities. Just got back yesterday. We had a great hike

BanjoSHOES
07-20-2012, 09:28
Johnny, that is exactly what I was looking for!! I was debating trying to somehow patchwork Old Rag and White Oaks into some frankenloop but it seems like there would be way to much fireroad hiking, and if you say the waterfalls most likley won't be too spectacular this time of year then I will probably just forget those this time around.

I called the park office, and also talked to some people that thru hiked the AT and the general concensus was that the middle area of the park would probably be the best.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write that out!

Is the campground at Lewis Mountain rustic and likley to not be busy, or is it a more popular campground with showers and such?

I see the shuttle list in the other forum, does anyone have any recommendations on a shuttle service for that area, and what would the approximate going rate be for a shuttle?

canoe
07-20-2012, 11:56
Lewis mountian was a great stop for us. They have cabins and camp site. They have a nice little camp store and 24 hour pay showers. Cabins might be hard to get but call and see what is available. Camp sites last week were readily available.

As for shuttles, I just hitched backed to the car. Worked out well. Folks dont mind helping. If you are going to Waynesboro area there is a list posted on a tree at the trail head with telephone numbers of trail angels who will shuttle you for free. (I am not sure how far they are willing to shuttle though.) Might be worth checking into

thestin
07-20-2012, 20:25
Lewis Mountain is only a few miles away from Big Meadows. Most people go to Big Meadows, so there are usually tent sites available. Also, since this is your buddy's first trip, he will really enjoy being able to get a shower and get food at the camp store. It's been a wickedly hot summer here...hoping that it cools down some by your trip.