PDA

View Full Version : CT Section Hike Plan

Compass.
07-19-2012, 14:11
Hello!

I was hoping someone would be able to offer a crude itinerary for a CT section hike. Since this state is relatively short I was hoping to accomplish it in as little as 4 days and 6 at most (excluding travel days to and from trailheads, but I don't mind hiking on days I am traveling in/out). If anyone has any suggestions on which shelters to use and how the terrain is of this area (map is ordered just has not arrive yet) I would greatly appreciate it. For a reference of my hiking fitness, I was averaging 16 mile days in the 100M wilderness...so if that helps you create a better timeline then thank you!

jakedatc
07-19-2012, 14:27
4 days isnt bad. If i hadnt hurt my knee and bailed 1
Day early i would have done

Jug end to riga shelter

Riga to sharon mtn campsite (go to pine swamp shelter if there is time)

Sharon/pine to Stewart hollow

Stewart hollow to Kent

Driver8
07-19-2012, 15:12
If you start at the Hoyt Road trailhead on the NY state line, a decent itinerary, at your pace, would be a short day 1 to the shelter just south of Rt. 341 in Kent, Mt. Algo IIRC, then day 2 to Pine Swamp Brook or Sharon Mtn, then day 3 to Sages Ravine, then day 4 to Jug End, which would put you about 10 miles into Mass at hike's end.

If you want to hike longer on Day 1, you could go to Stewart Hollow and adjust accordingly. The steepest, roughest terrain is on the north end for the most part, on either side of the Mass line. St. John's Ledges is a notoriously tough descent NOBO.

Leanthree
07-19-2012, 15:43
For my CT section, I started at Hoyt Rd about 3 hrs before sunset...
Night 1: 10 Mile River
Night 2: Silver Hill Campsite (I would have stopped at Stewart Hollow Brook Shelter but there was a loud group of college kids. Easy miles from Stewart Hollow to Silver Hill and it is a very cool campsite)
Night 3: Sharon Mountain Campsite
End: Salisbury. I got in at 11:30am or so. The miles to the CT/MA border are tougher but you should have plenty of time to do it.

Leanthree
07-19-2012, 15:47
I forgot...

The terrain in CT is very variable. There are pan flat miles of easy river walk and many short but rather steep climbs. Without a profile of the state, it is difficult to tell how hard the next couple miles will be so hopefully your maps arrive soon or just stay flexible on your mileage plans.

coach lou
07-19-2012, 15:48
Mt Algo shelter is 300 feet from the road, all the local kids party there, plus you have to worry about Marsha the Kent Lady:eek:. The sites along the Housatonic are roomier, and lower so the brooks have more water, DO NOT try to get water out of the Housatonic. Going SOBO, if you stayed at Sharon Mtn. Cpsite, or Pine swamp Brook Shelter, Schaighticoke Campsite is easily a day. Or Silver Hill to Ten mile hill is a day.

Driver8
07-19-2012, 16:07
I forgot...

The terrain in CT is very variable. There are pan flat miles of easy river walk and many short but rather steep climbs. Without a profile of the state, it is difficult to tell how hard the next couple miles will be so hopefully your maps arrive soon or just stay flexible on your mileage plans.

You can get a preview of the terrain from this University of New Hampshire library of old USGS maps. The A.T.'s routing is much different now, but the maps will give you a feel for the lay of the land. http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/BashbishFalls7.5MA.htm

Snowleopard
07-19-2012, 16:34
Two very nice online topographic maps of the AT based on google maps:
http://map.appalachiantrail.org/map/ put checkmark on shelter, parking, and/or vista
http://web.eecs.utk.edu/~dunigan/at/googleat.php?lat=41.98500&lon=-73.09507&mt=3&scale=11
For both maps make sure you're on the terrain feature of google maps.

driver8, I love those old topos on the unh site.

Driver8
07-19-2012, 16:41
Yeah, Leopard, they are a treasure trove.

Driver8
07-19-2012, 16:45
Mt Algo shelter is 300 feet from the road, all the local kids party there ...

You're right, Lou. I shouldn't have neglected that point. I hear it's a pretty place, but it is right there near town. The OP could also see about tenting somewhere in town, if they like. Depends on whether they want to go into town or not. ...

WingedMonkey
07-19-2012, 17:09
I was averaging 16 mile days in the 100M wilderness...

Will be a stroll with a few minor climbs compared to the 100 M.

jakedatc
07-19-2012, 19:04
yep, the north section is still only a 10-12mi section with a few steep bits that are more annoyingly slow to descend than actually hard. you will cruise the rest for sure.