PDA

View Full Version : November temps on SOBO hike

Miner
07-19-2012, 14:39
For a SOBO hike that finishes in late November, what sort of cold temperatures should one plan for during the last 4-6weeks? And where is a good place to mail the warmer gear?

Cookerhiker
07-19-2012, 14:54
I don't have as much experience as those who have thruhiked SOBO but a few years ago on a brief section hike in late October, I awoke to snow in the Mt. Rogers area. Only about an inch but it was colder than I expected for that time of year. And I wasn't even at the 5,000' level; rather I was hiking the Iron Mountain Trail.

Don't know how typical my experience was but were I thruhiking, I'd mail my cold-weather clothes & bag to Pearisburg.

RED-DOG
07-19-2012, 17:28
You should get your warmer gear in Pearisburg, Damascus at the absolute latest, day time temps in the southern part of the AT ranges from 30s to 50s in the days but the night temps can get as low as single digits to below zero, i have seen snow in the Roan MT area as early as late september to early october, so get Preparred some place in the central VA. Happy Hiking and enjoy. RED-DOG ( Flip-Flop 96 & GA-ME 06 & GA-ME 2012 ):jump