PDA

View Full Version : Insoles

Rolo
07-19-2012, 15:26
Just bought a new pair of Merrell stretch shoes for my SOBO out of Maine. Anyone recommend some light insoles to pad the old dogs or just leave the ones already in there? If so, which kind?

Gracias.

gsimp18
07-19-2012, 15:34
Green super feet. Im in Hanover,NH on my SOBO thru and they have saved me on the downhills and long days. $40, but totally worth it

Miner
07-19-2012, 15:43
The thing about insoles is that not everyone's feet are the same; as an example some people's feet pronate the opposite way of what most insoles are desgined to deal with. For many Superfeet work well and I've used them in my hiking shoes for years including a thru-hike. But for others, they may cause more pain then they help with. You really should try insoles out before you leave on a thru-hike as that is the last place to experiment. All I can suggest is try a few different types but keep the original insoles incase the new ones don't work for you so you can still hike.

Mags
07-19-2012, 15:50
Chuck the factory inserts...

This link may be helpful:

http://www.pmags.com/replacement-insoles-a-simple-change-with-a-big-difference

chelko
07-19-2012, 16:25
Superfeet are great but do not give much cushion. I have switched to one of the SoftSol models with gel inserts in the heel and ball of the foot and are much happier.

chelko
07-19-2012, 16:27
Here is the link to their site. www.sofsol.com. no t in soft.

leaftye
07-19-2012, 17:05
Have you worn those shoes yet? I would at least wait until you've walked around in them. Also consider that thicker insoles reduce the volume of the footwear, which could cause blisters. I also find that a cushy insole can cause instability. Insoles can be expensive and a hassle. Expensive if you use foam insoles because the foam quickly flattens, and if you're using them for cushion, then you'll be replacing them faster than you're replacing shoes. A hassle because they might not be available where you buy shoes in town, so you might have to mail order them.

Deacon
07-19-2012, 18:50
Ive used several brands and have settled on "Sole" brand inserts. The construction is fairly rigid but with repeated use, will conform to your feet. The company even recommends heating them at 200* for two minutes for quicker forming to your foot.

When I walk with these, the motion from heel contact to toe seems much more effortless, I think because of the full support on the entire foot, including the arch.

Thickness can be an issue and they make a thinner version. $56.00

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double Wide
07-19-2012, 21:06
I used to be a blackjack and dice dealer in Vegas for a lotta years, and spent 8 hours a day on my meet. I used gel inserts for awhile but they just didn't agree with my feet after about six hours. I switched to plain old Dr. Scholl's after that, and they were great. Granted, didn't do a lot of walking, mostly standing... But it took me getting into backpacking before I discovered the magic of SuperFeet. Figure out which ones work for you, and give 'em a try.

Lando11
07-19-2012, 21:48
i used super feet for about 1000 miles on my thru last year and i felt most comfortable when i ditched them and stuck with the factory insoles. i feel super feet are way too stiff for higher mileage days and a softer soled shoe left my feet feeling much better at the end of the day. i know this wont be true for everyone but it worked for me.
i would give the merrels a shot with the factory insoles, but be ready to make the switch to beefier insoles if you experience a lot of discomfort

Pumba
07-20-2012, 07:52
and spent 8 hours a day on my meet.
That must have been uncomfortable. ;)