PDA

View Full Version : How longs it take

safariman
07-19-2012, 21:57
How long does it take to go from pisgah forest to clingmans dome?

Don H
07-20-2012, 08:31
Got a landmark a little more precise than Pisgah NF?

Pedaling Fool
07-20-2012, 08:34
got a landmark a little more precise than pisgah nf?
:) :) :)

What he said :D

canoe
07-20-2012, 12:11
It depends

safariman
07-20-2012, 21:36
the mst crosses the US-276s highway which i was going to use as a link from the fht

BabySue
07-20-2012, 21:48
You'll get good help from www.atdist.com.

WingedMonkey
07-20-2012, 22:02
the mst crosses the US-276s highway which i was going to use as a link from the fht

There is an assortment of trails going from the Town of Pisgah Forest / Brevard up to the parkway and the MST.

If you did do this highway walk you are imagining from the Foothills Trail to Pisgah/Brevard you will have already walked along a lot of winding narrow busy mountain road.

276 is one more long winding narrow busy road, if you make it that far use the trails.

Perhaps since you are just taking your first steps from day hiking to backpacking you might want to try some other trails before you bite off so much highway walking.

safariman
07-21-2012, 17:53
276 is one more long winding narrow busy road, if you make it that far use the trails.

Perhaps since you are just taking your first steps from day hiking to backpacking you might want to try some other trails before you bite off so much highway walking.

on the maps ive been looking at the fht trail has a spur trail leading to ceasers head mtn. then from there its 15miles up 276 to the outskirts of pisgah forest. when you say if you make it that far use the trails. what trails are these trails that you speak of?
but like you said i do want to get out a get a couple 3-5 day hikes in before i go out for a month or two. I was thinking of hitting the bartram trail/a.t loop.

WingedMonkey
07-21-2012, 19:45
The Art Loeb Trail is the most well known there are several others. Most of them have trail-heads around the Visitors Center/ Rangers Station on 276 about two miles from where it splits off from hwy 64.

Check these online maps out, then buy some if you still plan that far.

http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_780.html

I have biked from Travelers Rest South Carolina past Caesars Head to Pisgah Forest/ Brevard, I wouldn't want to hike it. But I'm not a big fan of road walks anyway.

wellington
12-16-2012, 13:04
Would be nice to eventually have a connector trail from the FHT to the MST. Probably would be tricky crossing a lot of private land, but fun to think about nonetheless.