PDA

View Full Version : Mail drops for prescription medications?

Phoenix7
04-24-2005, 22:04
Just wondering if mail drops are reliable enough to have prescription medications mailed to me, or would I be better off visiting pharmacies along the trail?

Thanks,

Dave

Mother Nature
04-25-2005, 00:06
I found maildrops to be reliable for my meds I sent ahead.

When I needed a new presciption, I found that Drugstore.com (Rite-Aid Pharmacy) worked well.

I submitted my insurance information before I started my trip to make sure everything was approved in advance of my trip. My doctor phoned or faxed a prescription to Drugstore.com when I needed it on the trail. You pay in advance and they will mail to a General Delivery address. Allow a couple of weeks for delivery.

Mother Nature

Phoenix7
04-25-2005, 00:17
Mother Nature, thanks very much for the reply and information. I really appreciate it!

Dave

BookBurner
04-25-2005, 07:37
In 2002, I made use of 20 maildrops. I received all but one. If you can live with the possibility of one or two botched deliveries, you should be fine.

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Peaks
04-25-2005, 07:51
Two things:

Maildrops: The only problem I had with a mail drop was one sent to hotel near the trail, and they could not find it when I was arrived (yes it was mailed in adequate time). They finally found it, and returned it about 6 months later. So, based on that experience, Post Offices are more reliable.

Drug Stores: Only the larger towns along the trail will have a drug store, or you will need to go further off the trail to a larger town to find a drug store.

smokymtnsteve
05-02-2005, 23:23
I always use Fed-Ex overnight for my prescription shipments, remember that some meds have special temperature needs inshipping as they will not tolerate excessively hot or cold temps...so overnighting a safe solution.