PDA

View Full Version : Denatured Alch: How available and how to store it?

Phoenix7
04-24-2005, 22:44
I'm wondering how available Denatured Alch. is along the trail? Also what's the best way to contain it? Can you travel with it in its original container?

Dave

SGT Rock
04-25-2005, 06:47
Denatured alcohol is fairly easy to find. You could carry it in the original container but a soda bottle is lighter and works just as well.

Youngblood
04-25-2005, 08:09
Along the trail, you can probably buy it by the ounce at some trail specific establishments. Other than that, you are looking at paint/hardware stores that sell it by the quart or gallon that is usually in metal containers. You don't want to carry those containers. Most thru hikers probably carry it in either 8, 16 or 20 ounce containers... ie a coke bottle, nalgene bottle or something of that nature. It might also be easier to find and use methyl alcohol as it is used in gas line antifreeze and moisture absorber for automobiles and comes in a more convinient 12 ounce plastic bottle, it can be found in lots more places and I haven't tried it but I would guess those containers would travel okay.

Youngblood

SGT Rock
04-25-2005, 08:12
The lid doesn't stay on as well in the 12 ounce bottles of fuel line moisture absorber. I would transfer that to a soda bottle for sure.

Youngblood
04-25-2005, 08:19
Good point Sarge... now that you mention, some of those might be snap-off lids with an aluminum seal. Probably would leak even if you snaped the lid back on.

Youngblood

bailcor
04-25-2005, 09:46
Buy the "Mountain Suds" 8 oz. and the 2oz. size. Both are flat with a handy dispensable top for exact measuring. The 8 oz. is your mother lode, the 2 oz. is handy when you want to keep the fuel warm

Phoenix7
04-25-2005, 09:55
Thanks very much for the replies all!

Dave

hiker5
04-25-2005, 10:16
I like using a listerine bottle. If you get the 250 mL size (little over 8 oz.), the cap will measure about 0.5 oz. of fuel.

mingo
04-25-2005, 16:10
gas-line antifreeze is easier to find and seems to actually burn hotter than denatured. but make sure you get the straight methyl and not the iso stuff. the iso is sooty.

mingo

trip
05-28-2005, 00:09
Heet makes gas-line antifreeze. It is available in almost all gas stations. Also, most hostels and outfitters have denatured alcohol available.

MacGyver2005
05-28-2005, 09:06
You can find denatured at some places like Wal-Mart as well as the other places mentioned already, but you will be paying for 32oz, and that's a lot of fuel. HEET is cheaper (usually <$1) and a smaller amount. However, it has been my experience that it took a little bit more HEET to get the job done than the denatured. But when it comes to availability the HEET will do an excellent job.

Sandy B
05-29-2005, 15:50
I have read about people who worry about using a soda bottle, worry about someone drinking the fuel. I use a 20 oz clear water bottle. It has a small mouth that is good to pour out of, and it is easy to fill from the bottles of HEAT. On a weekend hike I did try to use one of the HEAT bottles with POOR results, the lid did not reseal and most of my fuel leaked on the ground. on a longer hike this could be trouble.

sandy

Dances with Mice
05-29-2005, 18:26
... I use a 20 oz clear water bottle. It has a small mouth that is good to pour out of, and it is easy to fill from the bottles of HEAT. On a weekend hike I did try to use one of the HEAT bottles with POOR results, the lid did not reseal and most of my fuel leaked on the ground. on a longer hike this could be trouble. BTDT. I use a 20 oz plastic long necked beer bottle, "Lite" brand. It's double walled for safety, the top reseals tight, the cap measures out exactly 1 TBS, it holds more than a HEET bottle so you don't have to be totally dry to refill, and it has a wide mouth for easy pouring.

Another plus: Nobody would ever think a "Lite" beer bottle might contain something that should be drank.

dougmeredith
05-29-2005, 20:38
Another plus: Nobody would ever think a "Lite" beer bottle might contain something that should be drank.
I don't know what bothers me more. That I didn't see that coming or that I didn't think of it. :)

Doug

neo
05-29-2005, 23:45
go to any gas station along the trail,methyl alcohol,aka dri gas,heet,fuel line anti freeze,12 oz .79 to .99 cent a bottle,hardware stores sell denatured alcohol around 3.23 to 3.5 a quart,you can always split a quart with another hiker.i use a 16 oz drown peroxide bottle.:cool: neo