PDA

View Full Version : Easiest and cheapest way to get to BSP from Bangor

Dpreis5
07-20-2012, 15:57
I am going to begin my southbound thru-hike in a few weeks, and I am looking into taking the amtrak from Washington D.C. to Bangor, ME. I know the AT Lodge does a shuttle from Medway, room, breakfast, and shuttle to the trailhead for $70 and I am looking to do this as well. However, I am unfamiliar with the easiest and cheapest way to get from Bangor to Medway.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if you have a completely different idea of how to get me from Front Royal, VA to BSP.. shoot it my way!

Thanks a lot!

wookinpanub
07-20-2012, 16:00
Check out Cyr Bus Line
http://www.cyrbustours.com/CyrBusLines-Schedule.aspx

wookinpanub
07-20-2012, 16:08
Here is a rate chart. It looks like $22 from Bangor to Medway.
http://www.cyrbustours.com/page/?p=Bangor%20to%20Northern%20Maine%20Rates

Dpreis5
07-20-2012, 16:14
Thanks so much for the quick reply! That looks perfect!

Sugarfoot
07-20-2012, 16:28
There are some flights from BWI to Portland, ME on Southwest (AirTran) for $49. You can bus from Portland to Bangor and then to Medway. It might even cost less than the train, although I think the train would be more fun.

peakbagger
07-21-2012, 06:13
The train from south of boston is a PITA as you need to transfer from North Station to South Station in Boston via a walk or public transportation. When you get into Portland, you get off at the bus terminal. If you fly in you need to take a cab to get to the bus station (it s long walk even though you are withing sight of the airport as you are on the wrong side of a bay).

WPSKIER
07-21-2012, 06:22
The train only takes you as far as Portland Maine.... Then Amtrak transfers you to a bus for the trip to Bangor!

Deacon
07-21-2012, 07:40
The train only takes you as far as Portland Maine.... Then Amtrak transfers you to a bus for the trip to Bangor!

And be aware the trains do not run on Labor Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doheir
07-22-2012, 17:47
If you're really on a budget, get yourself to D.C. by whatever means and then start north to Boston via Bolt Bus or MegaBus. Both are pretty good and have travel times that rival Amtrak at a fraction of the cost. It may take a few legs, but each of them is offering longer trips (say D.C. to Boston) that make distance travel easier.

Arriving in the Boston South Station bus terminal, use Concord Coach to reach Bangor. Using Amtrak north of Boston requires a subway transfer to North Station, and then several transfers to finally reach Bangor.

I believe you can use shuttle services north of Bangor to reach the park, or you can catch a bus to Medway (still a long ways from BSP).

Good luck.